A grave problem.... is it ethical?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Here's the situation... I drive by this place every day on my way to/from work. It's in the middle of nowhere on a road with almost no traffic. It's a cemetary... an old one. The cemetary has a rock formation in the middle of it that covers about half an acre and is maybe 50 feet tall. I want to metal detect the rock formation- nobody's grave... would you? It's smack in the middle of the cemetary too... Don't know if it would feel right parking in a cemetary and busting out the MD. More concerned about what passerbys might say (even though there is few if any though)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
its going to be a personal decision. i would say if you have permission to be there it would be ok, although me personally, i wouldnt do it....but thats just me. ;)

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
ferrous- you found a lot of coins there too? What areas did you find them if you don't mind me asking? That really makes me want to go. I would have no idea who to contact about permission- it's an old township cemetary, I always thought it was public.....hmmm.... I kind of think that if I stick to just the rock formation that nobody would say anything. Lots of civil war vets buried here.. oldest graves are from 1850s (that's old for around here).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just drove by one last week, Small by some standards.

Most of the stones unreadable, but Obviously late 1700's to
late 1800's .
But being taken care of. there is a line of Legion Markers
in front. Some American Revolution, Mexican American War
& Civil War.

the Place "Wants to be Detected", But, unless someone involved
with the Cemetery also "Wants me to" I'll have to settle for the area
Surrounding it once the Brush Dies over the winter.

P.S.

Sorry ! forgot to answer your Question.

Ethical ? It's all up to the Individual Person in my opinion.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Jeff, I hear what you're saying and feel the same way but what sets this apart from other cemetaries is the large rock formation in the middle- there's no graves on it or around it. In fact the driveway goes around the little bluff and all the graves are on the outside edge of the driveway- I don't know, maybe that doesn't make a difference though... :'(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
Jeff, I hear what you're saying and feel the same way but what sets this apart from other cemetaries is the large rock formation in the middle- there's no graves on it or around it. In fact the driveway goes around the little bluff and all the graves are on the outside edge of the driveway- I don't know, maybe that doesn't make a difference though... :'(

as I tried to say above, It all depends on your Personal Feelings. I'd want to search it, and would
Probably try to get permission

as ferrous warrior said above, it is not hard to get permission to Metal detect most Cemeteries, because most realize we are not Grave Robbers, & only detect lost items.

But, you Realy should see if you can obtain Permission From the Township first. or the Local police.
Wouldn't you feel better if you could Concentrate on signals, without
thinking about Catching heck ? (or worse)

I'll repeat : It's all up to the Individual Person in my opinion.

Good Luck what ever you decide.
it sounds like a Good Spot.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Jeff, okay- no need to yell ;) Funny that you mention the local police, until a year ago I worked for the sheriff's department... I know everybody there and none of them would give me a hard time... I suppose if somebody complained they would just tell me and I would know enough to leave.. ANYWAYS: thanks for the feedback- 'n have good one

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
Jeff, okay- no need to yell ;) Funny that you mention the local police, until a year ago I worked for the sheriff's department... I know everybody there and none of them would give me a hard time... I suppose if somebody complained they would just tell me and I would know enough to leave.. ANYWAYS: thanks for the feedback- 'n have good one

Is this Yelling ?
I was just trying to state the part I think is most important.
to get my point out :P no Yelling intended.

Sorry :)

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Jeff, I know, I was just teasing- by the way I didn't mean to "yell" back- still figuring out how to use the bold button I guess :P Anyways- thanks for the feedback.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a little off subject but I thought ya all might like this ::)

Attachments

• grave.jpg
    grave.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 270

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Cannonman, If you have to ask! your giving someone else the power to say NO. Keep your power and just GO.
Stay out of view of the road as much as possible. And if you see a car coming by, lay down your detector and sit on a rock till they pass. If someone should approach you have a good believable lost ring story. In a short time you will know if the area your searching is hot. Could even find a stash there?
In the end it's up to you. Are you game?

L

Lucky one

Obtain permission and go for it. You never know what you may find. :)

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally feel uncomfortable doing it but as long as you stay away from the graves I think it would be your choice ethically. I would get permission IN WRITING first though and have it on you. You never know when some local Mountie might drive by.
Deepsix

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't detect in cemeteries. I just feel like that cemeteries are almost sacred places to people who have loved ones buried there. I don't think that I would like it if I saw someone detecting where I have loved ones buried. But just my 2 cents worth.

Huntin' 59er

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Paul is Dead said:
What Jeff, and FW have replied are true. Without permission...BAD MOJO!

Personally I wouldn't hunt it but have no qualms about just outside the fence since a lot of times families actually had picnics and gettogethers on anniversary's of a loved one's death.

oldman

Dec 5, 2004
I have worked cem's and have never had a proble with anyone. I used small coil and only went down 4 inches at the most but i sure haveve found a lot of silver coins and rings. Bill

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park the car down the road and walk in....Look for an off the road path to follow to your car....that way no one will see you. the stone encircled mound sounds like it might be where family gathers under a tent to sit just before your buried....just a guess! Oh yeah, IS IT ETHICAL? Well is it ethical to stop and pee on side of the road?!!Good Luck!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ferrous warrior said:
If you ask you will probably hear ,"NO". Do it after dark.

Gee Ferrous!

In another topic, you questioned my ethics and morality, and here you are suggesting that somebody go into a graveyard at night to MD without permission? HHHMMMM? Sounds like your ethics and morality are kind of shaky!

I wouldn't do it without asking and receiving permission. The downside of doing this without permission is too great (jail for trespassing, get the wrong person, and they could prosecute you for grave robbing).

Best,
Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
I wouldn't do it without asking and receiving permission. The downside of doing this without permission is too great (jail for trespassing, get the wrong person, and they could prosecute you for grave robbing).

Best,
Mike

This I have to agree with.

Nothing What-so-Ever to do with Ethics Here.

We are Talking Laws, & The Unforgiveable Shot to our Hobby,
If You are Caught & it hits the News.

Cannonman, Said he has Friends on the Police Dept.
if he can get Permission from them, Their are No laws to Break.
Telling him to do it & then Busting him would be Entrapment.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You betcha! How would that look on CBS Evening News?

"A guy named CANNONMAN was arrested in a graveyard in ............. last night while using his metal detector looking for who knows what. He is currently being held in ............ County Jail awaiting charges of Trespassing and Grave Robbing. State Archaeologists are up in arms, and saying that metal detecting should be abolished in all public areas!"

That would make for a nice soundbyte!

Best,
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread