Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Environmental Enforcement Agents Targeting Guitars
tetrahedrassface writes "According to the Wall Street Journal, Federal agents again raided guitar maker Gibson this past week, seizing several pallets of wood and computer documents. At heart of the issue is the wood that is being used in guitars and whether or not it comes from sustainable sources.

http://www.parevolution.com/newswire/119596-environmental-enforcement-agents-targeting-guitars

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another prime example of one of the many things wrong with this country. A complete waste of taxpayers time and money. The title of this thread is right on. Competely Moronic !!!

F

Felinepeachy

It's so ridiculous I can't even comment without totally going off and turning it into a political thread. But.......... @#$%^&*()_(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()_(*&^%$#%^&*()_)(*&^%$%^&*())(*&&$#$#^&*()_+_)(##$^&*()_+_%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...................you get my point.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Just do like I am and lay low. Maybe they didn't get your name from the Gibson computer files. What will they do come to your house and demand your guitar? This is getting completely absurd. What will they do next? Don't answer that. rockhound

F

Felinepeachy

I'm glad I have a Martin...........and I would give up my guns before I would give up my guitar

K

Kentucky Kache

Felinepeachy said:
I'm glad I have a Martin...........and I would give up my guns before I would give up my guitar

I have an Ibanez and an Alvarez.

What kind of wood is your guns made of? :laughing7:

F

Felinepeachy

Some guns have wood on them silly, you knwo that though LOL I have Pachmayr wrap around rubber grips ;D

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Gibson is not the only one using exotic hardwoods in their guitars. Breedlove, Gibson, Guild, Martin, and Taylor all use these exotic tonewoods. Also all custom guitar and mandolin makers use exotic hardwoods. This may just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to harassing manufacturers of musical instruments. Even some lesser priced guitars use exotic tonewoods. Some countries have stopped selling and shipping these hardwoods before they become extinct. Some have already become extinct in certain locations. Unless they have purchased them illegally, I don't see the problem. rockhound

F

Felinepeachy

The government could care less about exotic woods, it's all about the money.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just let them try and come to my house and get my Gibsons or other guitars! I'll show them my other guns I play with! And if they try and get those as well, I will let them have the bullets first!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Felinepeachy said:

We shouldn't be expected to give either up, regardless of the wood they use making them.

And really, the reason we can't post a reply without it containing some form of political sentiment is simply because the government has it's fingers in darn near everything we do or try to do.

Waaaay too big.

Sky Pilot

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,, who heard the interview with the CEO of Gibson Guitars? He said He has all the documentation that this wood was obtained legally.
And now the kicker... The justice department told him they could make all of this go away if they moved manufacturing out of the USA!!!
Only lose about 1200 jobs here! What is going on with the justice department?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was discussing this with a buddy the other day. His info indicated certain campaign contributions by Gibson that may have precipitated the actions against them. I don't know the truth behind it but will have to check it out and then see you guys in Politics to discuss.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
I was discussing this with a buddy the other day. His info indicated certain campaign contributions by Gibson that may have precipitated the actions against them. I don't know the truth behind it but will have to check it out and then see you guys in Politics to discuss.

Thank You Diggin, Looking forward to it!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't it great to know that major crime has diminished to the point that this is how law enforcement agencies spend their day?
And our money? :protest: ::)

Scott

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Ain't it great to know that major crime has diminished to the point that this is how law enforcement agencies spend their day?
And our money? :protest: ::)

Scott

Yea I guess they Figure Guitar Manufacturers
& Musicians Rarely Shoot Back :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, my guitar destroyed the rain forests. That's rock and roll, y'all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread