Bleeding horse forced to buck (Reno Nevada, USA)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
tired poor human workers with aching backs and hurting feet forced to work long hours (much longer than 8 seconds) to support themselves and /or family -- really - it is sad the animal got hurt during the process of riding him --but human workers are forced to work despite being hurt , tired or sick --due to the fiscal pressure to feed and take care of themselves and their family .

Smugness, along with ignorance,, does NOT make you look intelligent even though it is tried so often! And I wish my life was always as cushy as yours has been!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texastee,

Maybe she re-absorbed. We had a mare that bred very easily, but never kept a foal past 3-4 months. We finally had her bred with the help of a vet and had to give her meds everyday so she could hold the foal.

Trouble with those kinds of mares is that, if you get them pregged, they show up as bred. You don't know unless you get them blood tested for hormone levels, because, even after they re-absorb, they test positive for about 8 months. (regular blood tests, not hormone levels). They took a blood test every month with our mare, and adjusted the levels according through the whole pregnancy. Beautiful colt - but, not one I could ever make my money back on. We had over $2000 in the foal just to get it to hit the ground. (if it had been a filly I would have kept it and made our money back in the long run, but, she had a colt).

Dave44,

Don't know how long you have been in Chesterfield - but we lived for a few years in Ballsville, kids went to Powhatan schools - Hubby was a correctional officer at Powhatan maximum security prison. Beautiful area.

Beth

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my life has been far from cushy * - please do not think you "know" me or my life - I was not trying to be smug in the least -- just pointing out that many humans have to "work" hurt --to support themselves and /or their families and they work for a lot longer than a mere 8 second ride.

yes it is sad the animal got hurt during the process of being "rode" in the rodeo , I do not like the mistreatment of animals myself , but if the injury was deemed a major one --I doubt they would have let the animal work -- as it would not put on a "good show" bucking wize and the cowboy would not have wanted to ride it -- lame horses will not produce a "good ride" needed for the cowboy to score well with the judges.

many animal right type folks are totally against rodeos, and circus's and some are even against zoo 's-- some go as far as to say people should not have "pets" --that humans do not have the "right" to own animals . -- some are total non meat eating vegans -- that say eat no meat peroid ( not that they choose to not eat them , but they say YOU shouldn't be allowed to do so either.)--

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
my life has been far from cushy * - please do not think you "know" me or my life - I was not trying to be smug in the least -- just pointing out that many humans have to "work" hurt --to support themselves and /or their families and they work for a lot longer than a mere 8 second ride.

yes it is sad the animal got hurt during the process of being "rode" in the rodeo , I do not like the mistreatment of animals myself , but if the injury was deemed a major one --I doubt they would have let the animal work -- as it would not put on a "good show" bucking wize and the cowboy would not have wanted to ride it -- lame horses will not produce a "good ride" needed for the cowboy to score well with the judges.

many animal right type folks are totally against rodeos, and circus's and some are even against zoo 's-- some go as far as to say people should not have "pets" --that humans do not have the "right" to own animals . -- some are total non meat eating vegans -- that say eat no meat peroid ( not that they choose to not eat them , but they say YOU shouldn't be allowed to do so either.)--

Ivan. I totally misunderstood your post then,, and I am very sorry.. Your turn.. Call me a boob! I deserve it! I have worked horses and cows, in N.M. and Colorado and We took very good care of both! I rode bareback for awhile after my friends dad offered to pay for 5 entry fees apiece if we rode all the steers and bulls in the herd (we thought we were gonna be bull riders),. Our problem was the setup,, we squeezed them between 2 wooden gates and the pen was very small, with a beautifully big cedar post in the middle for lunging green horses.. I am not really sure how we survived! :laughing7: My buddy got knocked out twice! lol

Beth, I have been here nearly 10 years.. I like it. I lived in North Carolina before here, But I am from N.M. and it took along time to get used to the "jungles" here! :laughing7: Yes I am not far from Powhatan.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
SWR said:
Gee... a horse has to work for eight seconds, and then two or three weeks of being pampered with absolutely nothing to do.

Long live the Rodeo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep. Long live the rodeo. No problem with fun. But, again... if someone were to be killed from a bull... it's their own fault. Not that of the bull and I wouldn't feel any remorse for them. They knew what they were getting into.

This is a huge problem that is growing in the world. Most people cannot process what they are seeing, and some refuse to look at all! If you really looked at the bucking stock in the rodeos you would see that these animals are fairly shooting sparks!. They are not scared, they have done this a hundred times, They are EXCITED! And the cowboy that loads up on them can feel the electricity from the animal! It is the reason that the cowboy keeps coming back for more! More than likely the horse hurt himself because he was so keyed up, like if you cut yourself digging up a double eagle!

Working horses are the same way, roping, riding, cutting, racing and even show horses love what they do and it is stimulating to them as well as the rider. Sorry Beth, I meant to include draft horses!

So really look at the animals in these events, these horses are HAPPY! And Bucking stock may be a little psycho, but they are equally excited, maybe just at the chance to hurt someone. :dontknow:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44,

I have to agree with you. Years ago, we had hunting dogs (coon dogs), and we brought one to an event - which was boycotted by some well-meaning group, at how horrible we were "making" those dogs work.

Making? There is a reason you have to fence them or keep them in the house at home - because they go out hunting without you!!!! We had one get loose, and she wouldn't come for love nor money. Finally, about an hour later, she brought a coon right into the front yard and up the tree. :laughing7: :laughing7: They sure loved it.

I often wonder - just who owns who? Everything they'd ever want or need, they don't even have to ask - breakfast lunch and dinner gets served up, right on time, everyday - and only the best your money can buy. If they want out, you get up. If they want in, you get up. If they are having babies, you lose the sleep. If you go away - you cannot get a babysitter - you have to pay someone big bucks. I'm pretty sure I have paid my vets more than I have paid my own doctor. :laughing7: :laughing7:

And, for the most part, after they have served their "usefulness", we continue to lavish all the same things on them - just because.

And a cowboy horse is a whole nother creature. You cannot catch them, but they'll come to the feed bucket. Once they're in, they get happy happy, they LOVE to chase cows.

My mother-in-law had one cutting horse that she had to separate, because the cows could never eat in peace. We'd hear noises, and that mare would have all the cows rounded up and in a corner of the pasture. (and looking so proud of herself). A good cowboy horse doesn't even need to be "steered" - I've trailed lots of cows, and I think I'm pretty much along for the ride. (and to hold on-holding on is important).

The hardest "cowboying", to me, is rounding up and trailing bison. They are horrible, ornery, stubborn, and think nothing of full-bore, head down, attacks on the nearest thing to them - whether its another bison, or you and your horse. The very first time I joined a bison round-up, I thought I was going to die in a crumpled mess. And - not from a bull - but a cow with a calf. That's one circumstance where you have to steer a horse, because you cannot herd a bison the same way you do a cow.

People just don't understand what it takes for dinner to be on the table. (and Lord help me, we have to get ready to trail the cows (and bulls) from the summer pasture to the winter home in a week or so...........). :tard:

Beth

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I wrote a reply days ago, but it apparently didn't take... but what I was saying was... there is a different between neccesity to kill, versus killing for fun. There are pigs that go their entire lives, living in a 3 by 4 enclosure, knowing nothing but that. If those pigs were to get out and bit the heck out of a mans penis off because of frustration, I would not have a problem. ...But, take cattle, although cattle farms do what they can to make it very human with pistons to the brain... the last thing you want to do is humiliate a pig to the point where it kills its own young, and then commits suicide because it doesnt want to live anymore. (a recent article comes to mind). I don't think I posted the article here, but I'll do so if you guys fell like you need the story... but I predict it won't do any good because I'll be labeled a tree huger.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MikeofAustin,

Honestly, I don't know what group fed you this garbage, but, I've raised lot of pigs. You don't EVER humiliate a pig into eating her young.

You just let her lose with her young, and she will do that all by themselves. Pigs are not nice creatures who poop in one little corner of their homes like Disney (and others will have you believe)

Every single one of our sows were in farrowing crates. Oh, when we started out, we read the books - most were bs. The first 2 sows killed and partially are 28 young ones. 28 - after that, all sows went into farrowing crates. Everyday, we took all the babies away, and let the sows out to eat grasses and roam around and get exercise - then they went back in their crates. Once the babies were large enough to run like heck, the sows came out of the crates, and there were rails installed inside the pens, so the young ones could hide away from mother pig. And, the ones they don't kill on purpose - they kill by laying on them, and smothering them.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE pigs and farm animals (and most all animals), but, I don't care who wrote any article - pigs don't commit suicide. They do stupid things - like literally bite the hands that feed them - but, they don't commit suicide.

Beth

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike of A,, stick to things you know about! Peta is not your friend, it has no usable information in real life. And Pigs do not talk! And they do not fly. And it is Highly doubtful they will befriend a spider.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raise hogs over 15 years now for market.

They 'don't eat their young' because they are ticked off at their living environment

I didn't use farrow crates, I used big big 12 X 14 horse stalls for the mommas. they had tons of room. they still layed on piglets and squished them, and did eat a few.

it is nature......if you stress critters, anything can happen 'faster'.

hogs are extremely nasty by nature

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmerchick,

Cool!!!!!!!!! What kind were your favorite? We raised all Landrace. We had one sow, one second she wanted you to scratch her, and she would sway back and forth and grunt while you did, and then, the next second, she'd swipe around and bite you. Lanced open my thumb once.

My favorite thing was if you have to vet a full grown hog. If you've raised hogs, you know that there is only one place that you can really get a needle in when they are full grown - and that puts you right in the biting range. :laughing7: (the only looser skin is by the jowls, for those who don't know).

We had built big strong pens with railing around the edges - but, we just lost so many that first year - we were in the hole. I don't like leaving them in the farrowing crates 24/7, so we fashioned a way to place the farrowing crate so that they could go outside and ramble, but not the babies. And as soon as the babies knew enough to get out of her way, then the farrowing crates came out.

I'm giggling here just thinking about our "newbie" year - I had always had hogs for 4H, but never bred any. The first time I saw the first momma in labor, I thought she was dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I called the guy we bought them from at 3 am, because of it. He laughed at me, and told me thats what they look like when they go into labor. (for any that don't know, they lay out on the floor, look like they are dying, and shake like they are having a seizure or something).

Peta is not anyone's friend, I agree - I swear they get their information from Walt Disney Productions. :headbang: What is sad is that people REALLY believe them, and they think they are doing the right things and helping animals. When the truth is, folks who depend on animals for their living and/or income - do everything in their power to make their animals as healthy and comfortable as possible. (and yes, I know there is always the bad apples).

I have actually watched a group "save" some horses (and I did horse rescue, and God knows there is a difference), from a "kill pen" auction, and then all 28 horses were euthanized. Duh? And, just so there is no mistake, both groups kill them with a well-placed shot to the head. The only time a big animal is "euthanized" with drugs, is after you have called your vet, you spent $800.00 or more, and then the vet gives the horse a shot. Meanwhile, the animal that is going to die is suffering while someone is trying to save a lost cause. (read that, the vet is collecting your money) Then you have to figure out how to dispose of it, because not everyone has a backhoe and enough unused space to bury a 1000+ pound animal. Not to misunderstand though, I firmly believe in vetting any animals that can benefit from medicine. We have spent lots of money "saving" horses that we knew could be saved. Horses that were mistreated, starved, etc. But, that's different than trying to "save" a horse with obvious medical problems that cannot be fixed. (like melanomas, other cancers, advanced heaves - etc.)

Beth

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
mrs.oroblanco said:
MikeofAustin,

Honestly, I don't know what group fed you this garbage, but, I've raised lot of pigs. You don't EVER humiliate a pig into eating her young.

You just let her lose with her young, and she will do that all by themselves. Pigs are not nice creatures who poop in one little corner of their homes like Disney (and others will have you believe)

Every single one of our sows were in farrowing crates. Oh, when we started out, we read the books - most were bs. The first 2 sows killed and partially are 28 young ones. 28 - after that, all sows went into farrowing crates. Everyday, we took all the babies away, and let the sows out to eat grasses and roam around and get exercise - then they went back in their crates. Once the babies were large enough to run like heck, the sows came out of the crates, and there were rails installed inside the pens, so the young ones could hide away from mother pig. And, the ones they don't kill on purpose - they kill by laying on them, and smothering them.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE pigs and farm animals (and most all animals), but, I don't care who wrote any article - pigs don't commit suicide. They do stupid things - like literally bite the hands that feed them - but, they don't commit suicide.

Beth

What I was talking about, was a china technique that got bile from the liver and used it in medicinal needs. drill a whole into the gal bladder and get the chemicals from this pig... very pain full.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Dave44 said:
Mike of A,, stick to things you know about! Peta is not your friend, it has no usable information in real life. And Pigs do not talk! And they do not fly. And it is Highly doubtful they will befriend a spider.

Yep, I just stuck to something I knew about... perhaps you can apologize now? I'm not some idiot blurting out stupid shiat, you know. ((link directly above this)).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
PETA in my neck of the woods = People Eating Tasty Animals .

We do not "mistreat" em , we just kill em , cook em and eat em. -- meat it is what's for dinner , (lunch and breakfast as well) -- jerky is good fer snacking too. :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
Dave44 said:

Yep, I just stuck to something I knew about... perhaps you can apologize now? I'm not some idiot blurting out stupid shiat, you know. ((link directly above this)).

This really does not qualify as anything you know about! :laughing9: This has no basis in fact, it is a nightmare dreamed up by some Peta maniac, of which they all may qualify. An opinion that assumes human experience and feelings in a bear. Come on dude,, you are more logical than that!

China. Really?You realize that the Chinese have treated there own human population in much the same manner? Maybe you have a point,, Go over there and complain to them. They love dissenters and already have the government controls in place.

But if you do want a small bit of relevance,, let us see how the Chinese rodeo works!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duroc and Lancashire hogs were our 2 main hogs

we rarely had to vet cause when they hit top hog weight (which was fast lol) they would hit the processor. We didn't do 4H or anything like that. Pure farming. Raise to X weight and whole hog sausage and chops.

ours sure never saw 'old age' happen lol

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Yorkshire with a touch of Berk and Landrace in the brood sows . 50 sows on 4 community farms
farrowing 2 litters a year . Experienced the same farrowing problems the rest of you have talked
about and took the same corrective measures . Once pigs were big enough to fend for themselves
we free randed them in the pastures during the day . Only penned them at night .
Two of my buddies and I (10-11 yrs old at the time) hand raised a registered York boar and had the duty of traveling him at
breeding time in a low deck farm trailer towed by a TO30 Ferguson tractor . Once he figured out
the game we didn't even have to put the racks on the trailer . Just back up to his pen and open
the gate . He'd step up on the open flat deck and ride 2-3 miles on a country road to meet new "friends".
I'm convinced , now , that the Lord does look after fools and little children .

OP
OP
hammered

hammered

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2009
Ankh-Morpork
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx Power and Canon 7D and Viagra supplier
Primary Interest:
Other
So I have read all the replies, and I'm one for breeding and eating meat, but for all those that said there was no cruelty or harm done to rodeo animals, please explain :icon_scratch:

hammered

PS. I will post the second one after it has been passed by the mods, the cruelty is probably too much for Tnet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions