TIME TRAVEL QUESTION

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
First of all, I would have to go under the assumption that major events can't be changed -- too much "temporal inertia." So I wouldn't attempt to make any changes in history. It either wouldn't work, or the results would be so drastic it might cause a "glitch" in the universe.

Given all of this, I would take something of great value to be investment seed. (How small is small? A few pounds of gold nuggets would be enough, I'd think.) I would go to the mid-late 1950's, convert to currency, and invest in companies soon to make it big -- Xerox, IBM, Lockheed, etc -- at the beginning of the "space age" these companies skyrocketed! (Please excuse the pun.) With these profits, I would settle down in San Francisco, and watch the sixties unfold. One of the most dynamic periods in recent history, when our entire social system and national values turned upside down! Not to mention the music! (I think I'd take up residence at 715 Ashbury Street, across the street from what was known as "The Grateful Dead mansion." Can you imagine the musical luminaries in that area at that time?) Of course, come 1967, I would move across the bay to Berkeley before summer -- the "Summer of Love" was one of the biggest disasters to hit San Francico since the 1906 earthquake! By then, the scene had moved to UCB. I'd try to avoid the riots, though. (I've spoken with people that lived through them. "Bad scene, man.") And then, making a few more shrewd investments, I'd watch the 70's fall in on themselves -- again.

I'd much rather go to recent history than old. At least there is still indoor plumbing!

(edited to correct address.)

K

Kentucky Kache

This just in: The time machine has been located, time traveler still
on seat.

Attachments

• TimeTraveler.jpg
    TimeTraveler.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 236

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
tchimes said:
Oh me

I would travel back to the first day, when God started creating the earth. Watch him work and then party and rest with him on the seventh day! I wonder if I am there, will he still make Adam? If not, I get a shot at Eve. Oh and what to bring back with me, a little hatchet, to cut the apple tree down before she spoils everything.

LOL ::)

KAS
tchimes

Eve was framed...... ;)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Reddielocks said:
tchimes said:
Oh me

I would travel back to the first day, when God started creating the earth. Watch him work and then party and rest with him on the seventh day! I wonder if I am there, will he still make Adam? If not, I get a shot at Eve. Oh and what to bring back with me, a little hatchet, to cut the apple tree down before she spoils everything.

LOL ::)

KAS
tchimes

Eve was framed...... ;)

Yes she was!!! By a serpent (snake).....HMMM...history hasn't changed too much LOL ;)

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
PostFatal said:
mojjax said:
Heck , you could just go to 1975 - buy 10 shares of Microsoft !

Or would you try to change history - maybe kill Hitler - or save Lincoln .

mojjax

I'd go back and kill Microsoft and maybe save computing.
To save computing you'ld have to go back further than that - buy up all of IBM's predecessors' shares and fire Watson.
Gord

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could go back I'd return to the year 1970. That was my first year of marriage and when I was really getting started in the world. But this would violate rule no. 2 I guess.

Anyway, I'd love to start all over again. Not for riches or gold but to hopefully avoid some of the horrible screw-ups of those early years.

Man, If I could go back to those days how many things I would do differently. Great thought but we can never go back. I guess my job now is to not screw-up what's left.

Badger

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all you care about is money, go back to 1952. Buy all of the 5-cent packs of Bowman baseball cards you can. The Mickey Mantle rookie card is valued around 15-18 grand. Now that's a return on your investment. You would just have to keep them out of the bike spokes.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
packerbacker said:
If all you care about is money, go back to 1952. Buy all of the 5-cent packs of Bowman baseball cards you can. The Mickey Mantle rookie card is valued around 15-18 grand. Now that's a return on your investment. You would just have to keep them out of the bike spokes.

OMG...I forgot about those. Believe it or not...even thought I'm a girl (LOL)....I use to collect baseball cards. I had a slew of them and even traded with the boys in the neighborhood. But...(sad)...my parents divorced, I moved to NYC with Mom and Dad got rid of everything we had!!! So, there went my baseball collection. We are talking from mid-60's to mid-70's worth!!! That where I would have to go back too...hide all that stuff under the house so I could go back in today's time and get it all!!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't a girl, you're a sailor! Wierd, that's when my collection disappeard. We moved to NYC and left everything behind. Then I joined the Navy.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
packerbacker said:
You aren't a girl, you're a sailor! Wierd, that's when my collection disappeard. We moved to NYC and left everything behind. Then I joined the Navy.

I'm sorry, I stand to be corrected...yep a Sailor (or in the politically correct world: Sailorette?? LOL)

You sure you aren't my long lost sibling? LOL.

I know...I even had this big rock I had gotton when we drove from CA back to NC. Dad was stationed at the Presidio. We stopped in Winslow, AZ and saw the crator. My siblings and I went to the went bottom and I found an awesome rock and I kept it. It was big and surprised my parents even let me keep it. It had lots of little craters in it and if I could remember correctly...prob anywhere from 6-10 inches in length. I loved rocks!! Guess I should have been born a boy..huh? Even played matchbox cars in the dirt with my only brother (the baby). LOL

HH.........AM

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
CONSIDER THIS! I would go back to the day when they made the time machine and destroy it. What would happen to me then? Obviously i would be stuck in a space-time continuum portal. Very very dangerous. Its like a circle because the machine was destroyed i would never have gone back in the past, but then i would never have destroyed the machine, but then i would go back and destroy it, but then i would never have been able to go back to destroy it.

Point is i would be lost, and so would you.

As a kid loving fiction i have spend hours on endless nights contemplating the theries. When i go back in time tommarow, (il let you know how it goes) and do return back now it should be ok. Im going back to 1995 for a quick test on my new machine i got on ebay. Hope it works! I know the glass bottle filled with dreams i bought for 100 dollars works great!

-CC

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
coolcash2004 said:
I know the glass bottle filled with dreams i bought for 100 dollars works great!

-CC

You're not the same person who bought the infamous "Ghost in a Jar," are you? ;D

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i would go back to 1950 or so..... buy all the toys i could afford and put them up (unopened)......specially mickey mouse and star wars stuff (when it comes out) i would buy stocks Ebay, Coca Cola, and Microsoft

What i would take back?...... my metal detector.....all coins other than nickels and pennies would be silver, the pennies would be wheats

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
HEY! That ghost in a jar worked great! It was really invisible so me nor anyone else could see it! Wow i sure ripped that guy off, he gave me a real ghost in a jar for only 100 bucks! Ha! what a loser! Theres a sucker born every minute, thats what i always say!

-CC

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
packerbacker said:

Actually those were one cent packs and they held two cards. exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread