At what point is it OK to dig up old graves?

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok, that title came out way more morbid than I intended!

When it comes to archaeological purposes... how old do graves need to be before they are dug up for artifacts and studying?

NOT that I have things planned... just an honest question that I thought of last night when watching a show where they used GPR to find graves in a guy's back yard from the Revolutionary period!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that was Ghost Hunters...I saw it too.

depends. I don't think a relative wanting to find and locate their graves should start digging any time soon. LOL LOL

good question in a way because over the centuries tombs are raided, graves are found accidently while digging etc. but to 'just dig up a grave' just doesn't seem cool to me.

Is there ever a right time?? hmmm

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
MOST BUCKLE'S ARE EITHER DAMAGED THROW AWAYS OR BLOWN OFF DURING BATTLE -- i HOPE THAT AT LEAST -- digging up a body for a buckle is just plain sick.

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I found an old forgotton graveyard (1800's) by using an old map and a lot of legwork. The tombstones (I later found out) were bulldozed down by someone who owned the property around 1950-60. There are depressions in the ground which I would think are the actual graves. When I was speaking to someone from the graveyard preservation society about this I asked if they ever dig, to try to identify if it is an actual grave and who's remains they may be, she said no. I got the impression that they didn't feel that it was proper. I however felt it was. So to answer your question I think that in this case that would be a good reason to do it in order to remark the burial site(s) and reestablish the cemetery.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont care how old the grave site is, I will never
detect it and I will not allow anyone with me do it.
Only the proper authorities should bother these
graves and only with a very good reason.
This is my opinion.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if one believes gold is present. I wouldn't advocate digging up old plots just for silver...too much work :laughing7: :laughing9: ;D I just love it everytime this question comes up :icon_sunny:

NEVER!!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you're buried in a pyramid with a bunch of golden artifacts it's ok to be dug up. They can even put you on display and charge people to come gawk at you.

Tarablee

Jul 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its A crime!! Vandalism; jail time, fines, mobs, torches, etc

It is a Federal Offense to disturb a Grave. There are ways to detect bodies underground without disturbing the entire grave or digging up a body. Before digging anywhere you should get permission from the landowners and they should know if there are graves on their property.
It’s possible to sink metal tubes into the ground that can take a soil sample which can be sifted through for wood, nails, bone, etc.
it is NEVER ok to disturb a grave or graveyard. It’s possible to check the law I don’t think it varies by state. To illustrate how serious it is, I recently found an Ancestral gravesite on Timberland in Tx and it hadn’t been touched in 30+years. The Timber company didn’t want to be fined. Must be pretty serious if they don’t want to touch the trees. They are pretty vigilant about that stuff. Very inconvenient for me as well, because now it’s hard to get in and clean the place up bc it’s in the middle of nowhere!
Permission b4 digging, call the county for property owner. Huge fines or jail time for vandalizing a grave! Not worth it...:BangHead:

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my grave stone it will say, "Feel free to dig me up any time. Remember...fill your holes!"

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
On my grave stone it will say, "Feel free to dig me up any time. Remember...fill your holes!"

But be sure to dig me all.:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, that title came out way more morbid than I intended!

When it comes to archaeological purposes... how old do graves need to be before they are dug up for artifacts and studying?

NOT that I have things planned... just an honest question that I thought of last night when watching a show where they used GPR to find graves in a guy's back yard from the Revolutionary period!

I usually wait for the family to leave. I've found it's a lot less hassle that way.:skullflag:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Federal Offense to disturb a Grave. There are ways to detect bodies underground without disturbing the entire grave or digging up a body. Before digging anywhere you should get permission from the landowners and they should know if there are graves on their property.
It’s possible to sink metal tubes into the ground that can take a soil sample which can be sifted through for wood, nails, bone, etc.
it is NEVER ok to disturb a grave or graveyard. It’s possible to check the law I don’t think it varies by state. To illustrate how serious it is, I recently found an Ancestral gravesite on Timberland in Tx and it hadn’t been touched in 30+years. The Timber company didn’t want to be fined. Must be pretty serious if they don’t want to touch the trees. They are pretty vigilant about that stuff. Very inconvenient for me as well, because now it’s hard to get in and clean the place up bc it’s in the middle of nowhere!
Permission b4 digging, call the county for property owner. Huge fines or jail time for vandalizing a grave! Not worth it...:BangHead:
So you joined treasurenet just to revive a 7 year old thread about digging up graves and give us information we are already familiar with?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread