A way to tell if a coin is silver or not

F

Felinepeachy

Spit on the coin and rub a piece of foil on it. If it kinda smells like rotten eggs, it's silver

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gear head said:
Is there a way of finding out if a coin is silver other than the old listening to the sound it makes ? I bought some collector coins that do sound just like 2 silver eagles when you clank them together, and they weigh exactly 1oz.

Are you talking about silver eagles or some other coins?

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
They aren't eagles. They are actually a set of 1998 Atlanta Falcons collector coins. I saw some on e-bay selling them one at a time, and the starting bid was the same that silver spot was at the time. I know sometimes companies will not put 1 oz silver on the coins themselves, but will put a certificate in with the packaging that says about the silver content in the coins. This was obviously bought used, and did not come with that, and some people don't know anything about silver.

K

Kentucky Kache

Felinepeachy said:
Spit on the coin and rub a piece of foil on it. If it kinda smells like rotten eggs, it's silver

Just don't do this after eating rotten eggs. :tongue3:

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Kentucky Kache said:
Felinepeachy said:

But I love rotten eggs and eat them at every meal, don't you KK ?

K

Kentucky Kache

gear head said:
Kentucky Kache said:
Felinepeachy said:

But I love rotten eggs and eat them at every meal, don't you KK ?

Just on special occasions.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gear head said:
They aren't eagles. They are actually a set of 1998 Atlanta Falcons collector coins. I saw some on e-bay selling them one at a time, and the starting bid was the same that silver spot was at the time. I know sometimes companies will not put 1 oz silver on the coins themselves, but will put a certificate in with the packaging that says about the silver content in the coins. This was obviously bought used, and did not come with that, and some people don't know anything about silver.

Are you saying the coin doesn't have 1oz .999 silver marked on it? if that's the case be careful as I have been burnt a couple of times with plated coins even though they weigh one oz. I only buy ones that are marked .999 silver.
If they are real then I wouldn't be spitting and rubbing it with foil if they are collectable coins but go for it if you are only after the silver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-FALCONS-NFC-CHAMPIONS-9pc-LTD-ED-COIN-SET-COMPLETE-/400246371801?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item5d308af5d9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread