anyone ever or know how to...

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
There is some outfit that I have seen on Ebay that will remove gold plating from items such as old ram and motherboards perhaps it could be used in reverse somehow. I believe the process works in a similar manner as that of a battery.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I know how to do it from a process standpoint but I haven't ever set up an electoplating operation. There are platers out there who will electroplate items for you.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I've electroplated before by just using an ac/dc transformer, alligator clips, and battery electrolyte. I haven't tried it with gold yet, but it worked with copper and brass.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think gold plating is especially nasty because it uses a deadly poison in the process? Not sure if they've found a way around that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it used to be. Same goes for silver, but I think there are now more ways to plate silver out of a non toxic bath.

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
You can call a local jewelry repair person. Not a jewelry store, but someone who does local light manufacturing for the jewelry trade. Usually they're everywhere just tucked away. A typical plating job is $4-10. By using them you can save yourself time and money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread