Considering a new digital camera - what should I get?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My current camera is from the stone ages and actually does a decent job, but I am considering upgrading. My only real interest is for shooting small things like coins, and what I like most about my current camera is it will focus almost instantly when shooting something like a quarter in my hand.

Several years back I bought a Sony Cyborshot and just didn't like how long the focus took to lock on a small item, then if I remember right it would lose it quick. Maybe I just didn't know how to use it right. I'm also thinking a bigger screen would be better. Budget ... probably in the range of a few hundred but if I found something I absolutely loved I could go up to about a grand.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, when I go through the process of trying to get a camera that fits my needs, I use this website, great in-depth reviews, photos, etc........

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/

I use Canon cameras, but the best digital I ever had for closeups was a Nikon, but the dang thing broke about one month out of warranty and Nikon wanted almost as much to fix it as it cost in the first place! Been a Canon users ever since...............

Don

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
IP, when I go through the process of trying to get a camera that fits my needs, I use this website, great in-depth reviews, photos, etc........

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/

I use Canon cameras, but the best digital I ever had for closeups was a Nikon, but the dang thing broke about one month out of warranty and Nikon wanted almost as much to fix it as it cost in the first place! Been a Canon users ever since...............

Don

I'm looking/considering a Canon PowerShot SX150IS (12x zoom)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...sx150-is/canon-powershot-sx150-is-review.html

I don't need a crazy macro feature, as in I don't need to make the date on a coin as big as my computer screen. So I think most cameras will do the job well and am more interested in it being easy to use, and a focus that locks fast on a coin and lets you shoot. Those pics I sent you recently are from a camera using a floppy disc.. :laughing7: So if I can make that work I figure I should eventually be able to make a new one work as well and better.

I'll definitely check out that site!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's why I have not updated my camera and the focus issue I am talking about. My camera does not have a video mode and I'm guessing that's why it almost instantly focuses on a small item. The best way to describe it is as soon as it's on and point at the target it's basically like looking through a window, good and clear almost instantly. I absolutely hate having to fight with the focus like the guy is in this video. So my question is.... even with a real good modern day digital will the focus lock in super fast and be very sharp when say taking a picture of coin in your hand? Or is it just the nature of the beast to hold the thing for a few seconds to try and get a decent shot... and it easily go back out of focus? I can literally shoot a good close up in under a second from turning my camera on... it's that fast because it's for the most part already focused. But it's very old and I would really like to upgrade to something that will lock in as quick.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sony makes some good cameras that have a really good macro feature. I got that Canon Rebel now and it does pretty good on closeups. A lot depends on how I set up the shot, and I ain't no professional. I try to use natural sunlight, and even though it has a close up function I get just as good in the landscape mode. I also have a macro lens. It's a fairly good camera that you can accesorize til you're broke, I guess. You can see how it works in my posts in the daily photos forum and I got some closeups in the American Indian artifacts board. It's a pretty good camera all around.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Sony makes some good cameras that have a really good macro feature. I got that Canon Rebel now and it does pretty good on closeups. A lot depends on how I set up the shot, and I ain't no professional. I try to use natural sunlight, and even though it has a close up function I get just as good in the landscape mode. I also have a macro lens. It's a fairly good camera that you can accesorize til you're broke, I guess. You can see how it works in my posts in the daily photos forum and I got some closeups in the American Indian artifacts board. It's a pretty good camera all around.

I'm good for lighting and just about everything else. My main issue is having a camera that will focus very fast when taking a macro shot. As I said above I turn on my old Sony and can hit the button in the first second and it's clear.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, does your current camera have zoom feature? The reason I ask is if it does not that may be the reason it does focus so quickly. I have had 4 digital camera, all with zoom and none focused super fast, but never found that much of a problem, although some shots of holding relics in the hand were blurry, but that was more from me moving or forgetting to be in Macro when I should have been.

I still prefer my Canon cameras, just me..........
Mine are getting old now also, one is a Canon A590IS and the other is a Canon S3IS (12x zoom)

Don

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
IP, does your current camera have zoom feature? The reason I ask is if it does not that may be the reason it does focus so quickly. I have had 4 digital camera, all with zoom and none focused super fast, but never found that much of a problem, although some shots of holding relics in the hand were blurry, but that was more from me moving or forgetting to be in Macro when I should have been.

I still prefer my Canon cameras, just me..........
Mine are getting old now also, one is a Canon A590IS and the other is a Canon S3IS (12x zoom)

Don

Yes it has a zoom, but it's just different. With modern cameras, at least from what I have seen when you take a small item closer the screen it's constantly trying to focus... where is my camera set on what is basically the lowest zoom position presents a very clear image pretty much from the moment I put the small item in front of it. It also does very well at the staying focused and is just so easy. I'm hoping I'll get used to something new but my old camera is all i know.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got out my Canon S3IS and put it in Macro, held a coin in my hand and depressed the shutter button halfway to focus and it was faster than I thought, could not even say One of One one thousand and it was a beep with a green focus box,so it is rather fast...............The Canon 590IS was only a tad slower, so both were faster than I thought........

Don

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think I'll have to go in the store and get someone to demonstrate them because all this is starting to make my head hurt. :laughing7: But if anyone else has another idea please post it. I think I'm looking at a budget from $300-$500 now. Don't believe I have to go higher than that for what I need.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why speed would be a concern, unless you're havin problems with blur from havin to hold the camera steady. My Canon focuses just like that, IF, I have the right lighting and the right distance. I have had that lense buzz up and down like an elevator and never focus which is an aggravtion. Go to the store, and go to a real camera store. (Don't even go to Wally World) Don't know about your area, but in my range there's good ones in Yukon, Oklahoma, and Breckenridge, Colorado. Cameras is all they do, and they let you play with the equipment.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I don't know why speed would be a concern, unless you're havin problems with blur from havin to hold the camera steady. My Canon focuses just like that, IF, I have the right lighting and the right distance. I have had that lense buzz up and down like an elevator and never focus which is an aggravtion. Go to the store, and go to a real camera store. (Don't even go to Wally World) Don't know about your area, but in my range there's good ones in Yukon, Oklahoma, and Breckenridge, Colorado. Cameras is all they do, and they let you play with the equipment.

It's because of the amount of pictures I take. I don't want to waste time trying to get them focused, or reject shots once I see them because they were a little off. I guess I'll just have to check em out and give one a try but I am quite sure I'll hate having to adjust... at least at first.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
RGINN said:

It's because of the amount of pictures I take. I don't want to waste time trying to get them focused, or reject shots once I see them because they were a little off. I guess I'll just have to check em out and give one a try but I am quite sure I'll hate having to adjust... at least at first.
I P, You will with what ever you choose, now that I understand how mine works I'm more than happy with the results,justs takes using it a lot to learn it. God Bless HH CHRIS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ironpatch, that Sony with a floppy is really old. I haven't seen one used for quite a while.
I do a little pro work from time to time and use a Canon SLR, but I have been looking for something smaller with a big viewing screen. I found it. My next camera will be the Sony Nex5. It almost fits in the palm of your hand, has an actual mag. frame, has changeable lenses, and can do just about anything, and it is in your price range. There is also a NEX3 which cost a little less, but it is plastic. There is also a NEX 7 which just came out. I haven't checked it out yet.
Do yourself a favor and check out the NEX 5. Frank

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Helpful Hint 1 !!!! Walk Away From Anything With KODAK On It Its loaded with Proprietary Software !!!!

Helpful Hint 2!!!! Look at Optical Zoom!! 3X or Higher !!!! Ignore Digital Zoom and When You Make A Purchase Turn The Digital Zoom Off All It does Is Take the Image It sees and Blows it up Destroying the Image Quality!!!!!

Helpful Hint 3!!!! Opticail zoom over 3 Is your Best Bet!!! And for those Close up Shots Use A Tripod!!!!

HH Chug

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
texastee2007 said:
Do the new Digitals track you as well...like the smart phones?

Tee, I haven't heard anything of GPS tagging in any stand-alone cameras, just cell phone cameras..............

Nikon pretty much sets the standard in DSLR's right now, but the Olympus Stylus series has a couple models that are fully submersible & almost indestructable and aren't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Got my wife one, and she LOVES hers.

Diggem'

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
IP - One thing you will notice is that the pixel count (image size) has gone up dramatically, with most being in the 12-14 Mp range (HUGE photos)

You will need to get yourself a quick & dirty photo resizing utility for scaling your photos down when you want to post them here, or on FB, or whatever. Picture Resizer is my favorite - doesn't take much space on the PC, is flexible, and is pretty darned easy to use.

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

BTW - just looked at the new Olympus's - the Stylus Tough 8010 is pretty impressive and can be had online for $220.00-ish. Get a floating strap for it if you plan on using it under or on the water.

Diggem

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The pictal count can be deseptive. The image sensor in a point and shoot is about the size of your nail on your pinkey. The image sensor in the Sony alpha NEX5 is a true APS C size, the same size used in some high end Canon and Nikon cameras. The larger the sensor, the more light each pictal can capture. The NEX 5 can be purchased with a zoom as a package in your price range and the image resolution far exceeds any point and shoot camera. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions