I was looking for a job, but now that Im in a possition to give one...

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I 'was' looking for a job, but now that I'm in a possition to give one...

Now that I'm in a position to actually hand out jobs to people... I know exactly what people are saying now, about 'People don't want to work... they just want to collect unemployment".

It used to make me upset when people said this becuase I was a person that really wanted to find a job. But, I'm in a position that I'm actually looking for talented people. Low and behold, I get really bad resumes, like, "I dropped out of college becuase of lack of parking". That was actually on their resume. But others that seems somewhat qualified, I write them and ask them further questions... it's been over a week and I haven't heard from them since. My boss, like me, are targeting people that don't currently have jobs and want jobs. But, I'm finding that the people that don't have jobs, really don't want to get one. At least, a technical job in central texas...

I'm looking for people that have electronics design experience. Schematic entry, layout, and general understanding about electronic circuit boards. I'm willing to bend a mile, but no-one will even give an inch.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Re: I 'was' looking for a job, but now that I'm in a possition to give one...

It's a sorry shame, ain't it? I was trying to find helpers and paying 150% of minimum wage just to pull nails a couple of years back. I couldn't even find half decent help doing that. Pulling nails, in the shade with a fan on them at whatever days and hours they wanted. Still had to do a lot of it myself. Tried several high school kids at my shop doing some work too. 2 weeks is usually the period of time that I got half decent work from them (showing up when they said they would, calling when they weren't going to, etc...). After that, it was a crapshoot as to if they even showed up or not. I am easy to work with, I let them tell me their hours available and told them if there was a day they were not going to show up, no problem, just LET ME KNOW so I'm not waiting for you to show up and help me with a job. Still, no show, no calls. Then when they were there, half the time was spent with their thumbs punching buttons on their stupid phones. Even now I have a guy living in one of my rentals for free. He is supposed to be performing work for his rent, but lately he is slacking and not doing much of anything. People have become lazy. All of a sudden too. The govt isn't helping matters either. I know of people who can't afford to get a job because they will lose the money the govt is giving them if they do. I don't know what's in store for us, there are only so many of us left for the govt to milk to support the ones who don't, and our number is diminishing rapidly.

I feel for the people who really want to work and can't find it. I've met a few of them that talked like they would take anything that came up, but I happen to know they sit at home all day doing little or nothing. Won't find much work like that. I hope it turns around soon.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Yep. We've found one guy that gets 15 and hour even though he doesn't have a GED. But, he puts in the work like he wants to work. Sometimes, it gets very tedious... like, we had a crunch were we needed him to sand 4000 peices of aluminum on a power tool (sitting down in climate control, without anyone standing over his shoulder either.... He does a very good job.

My boss is a super-christian and looks for people that truly need a leg up in this world... in fact, he's also currently has a homeless guy working there (he's not homeless anymore thanks to this), but, we can tell he's still got some substance abuse problems ( at least I'm able to tell... perhaps my boss is giving him the benfit of the dought)... and even though he's probably there 50 percent of the time (becuase of him missing work), he's still there. My boss would rather spend more money on giving him more help than actually firing him (he's a real good guy... probably the best person I know in helping people out).

I'm thinking about 'forcing' these guys that qualify for the job on the state job site, to work... I'm not sure I know how to do it [right now], but I seem to remember that if you offer a job, through the website, and they fail to show up for at least an interview, they loose their benifits. Only fair right???? The positions we're offering are great... it's truly a professional environment.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

These comments are right on target. Before LBJ legitamized "poverty" being out of work was
considered "laziness". Remember the "Peter Principle"? In a heirarchy every employee tends to
rise to his level of incompetence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread