Scam or not

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a friend who's girl friend posts comic skits on a web site called funny money, any way he asks me to vote for her, which I did, next thing I know is that I get a letter from them telling me I won $500 for voting for the winning punch line. How would you go about checking on these guys to find out if they really legit. Here's a copy of the letter I received.

Congratulations! You won the Funny For Money $500 Grand Prize for Voting for the Punchline of the Week!

Here is what you need to send us to get your $500 prize:

Ø Your phone number.

Ø Your email address that is linked to your PayPal account. No PayPal account? It's free to set up and only takes a few minutes at https://www.paypal.com/.

Ø You are now going to be included in our Past Winners page- we’ll need a picture of yourself, and your Facebook and Twitter handles.

Ø Since you have won $500, for tax purposes, I will need you to fill out the attached W9 form. You can either scan the filled out form and email it back, or fax it to 630-839-2330. I also need a copy of your Social Security card (for verification purposes only). We will have your $500 in your PayPal account within one week after receiving the above copies.

Thanks for playing, and remember to tell all your friends about our site with your personal sponsor link so you can have more chances to win the grand prizes on Funny For Money! Also be sure to show all your friends your inclusion in this week’s “ Funny For Money News “.

Now go enjoy laughing your way to the bank!

Best,

Missy Voigtsberger
Prize Coordinator
Funny for Money Enterprises, LLC
Twitter: @funny_for_money
www.funnyformoney.com
[email protected]
FAX 1.630.839.2330

I've won $$ before on internet gambling sites and I have never been ask for a SS number,I have had to send in a copy of my driver licness, and a copy of a utility bill for ID purposes but never a SSo I'm wondering how do check up on these kind of things,I've written them back asking for a phone number and an address
Thanks for whatever light we can shed on these guys

Heres the reply

I do understand your hesitation. Here is a link to our terms and conditions on the site that has our home office address at the bottom under ‘contact us’.

http://funnyformoney.com/Home/TermsAndConditions

Funny For Money has to abide by the IRS rules that state we must report to them any prize winnings over $600 that we pay out. http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=243429,00.html

We do this by having you fill out their form W9 and verifying that your SS number is accurate for tax purposes. If we could meet with you face to face, we would only need to see your SS card to verify the number. Since that is not possible, we have provided you with a secure fax line to send us a copy of it along with your W9. If you would prefer to mail your information to our Home Office address, you may certainly choose that as an option also. We ask for the W9 form at the $500 prize mark to ensure that we have your information on file for the IRS if you win again in any of the three categories.

If you would like to speak with me by phone, you can reach me at 630-629-1940. I’ll be available today until 7pm Eastern time or tomorrow after 9am Eastern time.

Best regards,

Missy Voigtsberger

Prize Coordinator

Funny for Money Enterprises, LLC

Twitter: @funny_for_money

www.funnyformoney.com

[email protected]

FAX 1.630.839.2330

Any Ideas on how to go about checking this out with 500 bucks I could prolly pick up a pretty nice detector, but would hate to have to deal with ID theft
Thanks in advance
Marty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a scam to me, and I've run millions of them on people :laughing7:

They don't have to report spending under $600, but they could just send you a 1099 and you file it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from that.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCAM

Give them your P.O. box# & say send the check.
You'll take care of the reporting Yourself :thumbsup:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
run for the hills!

or

or have your friend submit with his info. split money. You would be $250 richer if real, and if it goes bust and they hijack the identity and go insane with private info and put the person in the hole with credit messed up etc. --it won't be you! :) :laughing7:

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked it up, it's a legit site, new to the scene since june 2011.

Now complaints registered yet.

Use the official online website to shoot them an email to verify as a safety concern.

It's a Illinois company and thats were the phone and fax numbers go.

When you voted you registered on the site so maybe you read the TOS ?

Good luck :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread