The shrinking food portion

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I guess we all know they inject ham with water to get more money for it. The gov. lets them do it and sets limits on the amount. We all know the cereal boxes are only half full. But here's a new one for me. I opened a can of baked beans and dumped the liquid. To my surprise it took twice as long as before, more water I guess. I opened a can of asparagus spears and dumped the water, You guessed it, it took twice as long and they use to be hard to get out but now they just slide out easily. Is the weight on the can the contents or just the food in the can? That is are we paying more by buying water? Frank

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weight on the can is what is in the can. the weight of the food, plus liquid.

2 less asparagus stalks and more water to make up the difference. :laughing9:

everything is changing. 16 oz. cans are now 14 oz cans.

cereal/chips etc are always 1/2 empty. they 'puff' the bag to keep the crushing of the product down.

but cereal would be like 24 oz and now it is 20 oz. just a few less flakes... :laughing7:

oh yea, all changing. all changes to fool your eye. less product for your dollars.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Actually it's not just the food that is shrinking. I got a new container of liquid dish washing soap, same brand but different color. I put the little left in the old container into the new. The old soap sunk to the bottom. When I used the old soap, I had to squeeze the container but the new soap drips out easily with no squeeze. Looks like I am buying more water. Frank

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It seems every corporation is going with the adage"less is more". I heard one guy say he was at a meeting with his company and the president said,"we have downsized the package,called it new and improved and upped the price, have we forgotten anything?" This seems to be the thinking of big businees now. Almost everything we buy is in a throwaway container, or now, recyclable. Each household creates more garbage now, then 10 families did only 10 years ago. Almost no bottles, cans or boxes are reusable. As each county, in each stae is scrambling to find neww land to create a landfill, we are fast running out of sites. Some states have imposed rules and sanctions on localities to recycle or burn incenerators to lessen the landfill overflow. In the larger cities, garbage is trucked many miles to another sirte and dumped. It has become big business where localities have large landfill sites close to large cities. It is only going to get worse as government is calling for reduced pollution in our waterways and landfill sites. Large corporations see this as a win-win situation. They can add fewer chemicals and still charge the same amount of money. You will end up having to buy twice as much to do the same job as before. It may get to the point that in order to get anything of quality, we will have to buy imported, where there are no limitations or controls on pollution and the invironment. It is sad that we may have to succumb to that scenario. I still look for packaging that I can reuse or recycle when possible.Some food products are still available in glass jars, with screw on lids. Plastic, paper, aluminum and cardboard can be recycled. Tin cans can be remelted and reused, but so far I don't think anyone is doing it. Tires are being shredded and used in road construction. Sorry for the long rant. Good luck. rockhound

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not your imagination. The food industry is trying hard to make us believe we're still getting what we got a decade ago for the dollar.

The problem is that the so-called poor countries aren't so poor anymore and they're buying our food (supply and demand).

China has lots of oil and it's finally to the stage where they have the means to get and process it. There are no doubt millions of millionaires/billionaires in China today and they want the "better life." If you ever watch "Antiques Roadshow" on TV you'll see that the Chinese are buying back many of their older products that were purchased by Americans through the 18th to 20th centuries.

Watch out for China. We're heading for two classes in America (super rich and super poor). The masses in this country will one day live on the cheapest food while the good stuff goes to the wealthy here and abroad. Some believe this may well be fully realized by the end of this century.

This country will one day be one of the gardens/vacation sites for the world's wealthy. Right now we're seeing ownership of land taken from the still extant upper level poor and so-called "middle class." But due to taxes, insurance costs, and low wages, this will eventually dwindle away (as we're seeing now). The masses in the future will be renters. Yup, it's the old lord and his subjects thing all over again.

And all this because you noticed your beans were too watery :laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
America has changed dramatically in the last 20 years (actually it started before that) and it's not for the better. I'm disgusted with what this place has become. Greed, both personal and corporate will be the downfall of this society.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like this post. Just slap a 'New Look, Same Great Taste' sticker on the product and you got it. Then a couple of months after you've reduced the gross weight of the product, do a promo '70% More, Same Price!', which is still less product and more cost than you paid 3 months before. The psychology of marketing and psychology of consumers is fascinating to me. How can I make you buy what you don't need to buy, or how can I make you pay more for what you need to buy. Save more, live better, y'all. I've been in retail sales for the last 11 years now, and thank goodness I am in a position to fill the needs of the public, and help them live within a budget in trying economical times. Crap, it's all about the money, and if it doesn't appear unethical on the surface, my bosses have always wanted me to get it from you any way I can. I like asparagus. I got the asparagus 'Mountain Dew' reference, too.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Notice how they have downsized toilet tissue. One roll large roll equal to 4 regular rolls.One regular roll used to be larger than the large rolls. Some people in Hollywood are encouraging people only to use one sheet to help save on trees. Before it is over we may need to use newspaper or catalogues, just like my grandfather did. Maybe look into building an outhouse, I see they have made some great strides in outhouse designs lately. Good Luck. rockhound

m14nm

Sep 23, 2011
North West Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
DFX IDX CZ3D GTA350 6000Di-2
Primary Interest:
Other
rockhound said:
Notice how they have downsized toilet tissue. One roll large roll equal to 4 regular rolls.One regular roll used to be larger than the large rolls. Some people in Hollywood are encouraging people only to use one sheet to help save on trees. Before it is over we may need to use newspaper or catalogues, just like my grandfather did. Maybe look into building an outhouse, I see they have made some great strides in outhouse designs lately. Good Luck. rockhound

:sign13:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy - you ALL are right.

Tuna Helper takes 1 6 oz can of tuna. They don't sell 6 oz cans of tuna anymore - they are either 5-1/2 oz or 5 oz.

There are hardly any pounds of coffee anymore. (I started ordering actual pounds of coffee online)

And, someone, please explain why kerosene and diesel is more expensive than gas? They are both by-products, with less refining, and there is more of it to the barrel. :dontknow:

And, watch the sugar. There used to be a time when a larger quantity was cheaper per pound. Now, you have to look twice, or three times. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy 2-5 pound bags than 1-10 pound bag............hmmmm.

The companies think we don't notice. But - I agree - they DO use that trick of going from 16 ounces down to 12 ounces (same price), and then say "more for your money", which they then add a whole ounce and make it 13 ounces, and lower the price just a tad. Meanwhile, per ounce, you are still paying more.

The "more liquid, less vegetables" has been a trick that store brands have used for years to keep their prices lower.

Potato chips are absolutely ridiculous - $4.99 a friggin bag???????? Geesh.

Beth

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
On the positive side, what Americans (and everyone) need to do is get back to basics. We need to depart from the cancer fast/convenience food industry rip-off and get back to eating high fiber wholesome foods. My wife and I are on in age now and pretty set but we know of a young couple starting out who really are going to win in life. They shop wisely and with 4 children they only spend about $60 a week on groceries (they are smart with coupons, etc.). The household income is about $40,000 a year and even though they're only in their mid 30's they already own 2 excellent rental properties. Almost everything they buy is used but in near mint condition. They get the most awesome deals on their cars and vans (often off ebay, Craigslist, etc.) and if you saw their vehicles you'd never believe they had so little in them. Their home is free and clear and ultra clean. No one is obese due to self-control and daily exercise in their own "health room" that was furnished by garage sale finds and closeout super bargain equipment. The children have a large play center filled with plenty of very expensive toys all purchased for pennies on the dollar. The children go to special classes for things like martial arts, music lessons, whatever they like. All these things are had very cheaply because they know how to get the deals. I wish these folks would write a book on how to do what they do.

One doesn't need to go without if one is smart or just uses basic common sense. We've all been duped into thinking we need a lot of crap we really don't need and really doesn't satisfy once we get it.

As for the rip-off in canned goods, some companies still give honest deals but one has to compare brands. Often we've found that some so-called "off brands" are superior to the so-called "name brand" hype stuff. Many companies take advantage of people due to the psychological power of advertising.

Those high priced cereals people buy are a crime. These major companies use the cheapest materials they can find. Some of the honey flavored cereals are made with cheap honey from China. Chinese honey has been banned due to being corrupt yet the big cereal makers found a way to beat the system. China sells to Canada and Canada turns around and sells that same honey to America. Best locate a bee keeper near your location and buy his honey. You can't trust the stuff in our stores.

Years ago Gerber foods (the baby food company) was busted for selling beet juice for apple juice. This was kept as quiet as possible.

There's plenty of good food out there for the person who uses his head.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
There's plenty of good food out there for the person who uses his head.

Yeah, it's called, grow your own vegetables and raise your own livestock.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The advertising really gets me. Buy one , get one free. Really! try to just get the one free. They use to say two for one price. When I see 50% off, I know they aren't giving it away, so I know it was grossly overpriced in the first place. When I shop in the food stores, I just about live using the unit prices, but I even got to watch it there. The paper towels go by price per sheet and as you probably noticed, some "select" rolls have smaller sheets hence more sheets per roll! The coupons really get me going. They are usually for the slower moving over priced items. I am not Branded like some. Take laundry detergent, I go for the lowest unit price taking number of loads into consideration. As for cereals, the box usually cost the manufacturer more than the contents.
As for motor fuel, when they run the oil through the cracker, they get Diesel. They then run it thru again and get regular gas. To this they mix in additives and get hi test. So Diesel is the cheapest fuel to make but federal taxes + corp. greed have raised to the highest price. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Packer, looks like you got the point. lol Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Got 2# of ground beef to make meatloaf. Boy what a surprise! when I remover the ground beef, there was a white pad about 3/4" thick soaked with water in the bottom of the container. I wonder how much beef I actually got. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread