I miss them......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...all those old dime stores and soda shops, the long strips of small specialty shops and such. Where's the atmosphere in all these new superstores where everything is cut square and boxy and painted white on white? Where's the colors, where's that natural and stained wood, where's the shiny brass ceiling fans and the ornate trimmings? Walking into these small stores and shops at x-mas time was like taking a tour of x-mas istelf......all the colors, the decorations, "the atmosphere" that is so badly missing these days. I honestly don't know why anyone goes x-mas shopping at a superstore? :dontknow:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. I too miss those local little shops. Woolworth we would belly up to the soda fountain grill and get a grilled cheese. Loved those old times.

But Christmas is not about shopping for me. I have no problem shopping in a superstore. I shop for gifts. I do miss 'the atmosphere' like you say from when younger.....but truly to me gifts are the small part of it all.

I 'do' things for Christmas. We travel to see the light show at the botanical gardens. We will visit family and friends. We decorate inside and outside the house. We get in the car and drive around a few weekends before Christmas to check out everyone's light display.

So while I do miss the old timey window shopping, I know I will never lose Christmas in general.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have said, I miss the individual personalities of these small shops and stores at x-mas time.

I love the x-mas season/spirit, but I sure wish there was more to see in these superstores then just rows and rows of basic white filled with product.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I miss the old days too, but I think in a way that we did it to ourselves...We have always wanted faster, better, and cheaper. The big box stores have answered the call--they are a one stop shop..I try to avoid them like the plague. They are bad for us. I would rather make several different stops and go to several different stores than one big box.

Too bad the big box stores could not keep the things that we like - the soda fountain & helpful friendly people who were always ready with a smile and a kind word.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread