New toy at work: CNC Laser cutter/engraver.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
So we now have a computer controlled laser engraver/cutter at work. You can cut and engrave things with extreme laser precision (down to 0.0005" precision). Pretty cool toy, but now, I just don't have any idea at all with what to do with it... other than trying to come up with something to burn into the back of my hand (like a 'tattoo', but it's temporary when the burn heals).

I'm thinking of getting some patterns off the web, and cutting some balsa wood kit planes... Maybe even cut my sandwich in half during lunch. ...anyone have any idea's for me? Perhaps if you need something cut (or engraved), I can do it for you? (free of course!) So far, the only thing I've done is etch my name into my leather wallet and cut circles and other shapes into a trim piece of pine wood.

AND, perhaps you guys can help me come up with a pattern to burn into my skin? (the guys at work joked and said "how about moron man" because they are deathly scared of it, and also happen to think it's a really dumb idea).

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I could have some fun with that :evil6: Depending on how powerful the laser is you might end up minus a hand.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Red James cash said:
I could have some fun with that :evil6: Depending on how powerful the laser is you might end up minus a hand.

Yeah I know what you mean. We had to dial it down to 15% power output so it would NOT go through the anodization of aluminum. At 20 percent power, it etched halfway through a half inch piece of pine wood. Am I scared? Yes I am. But, I'm going to go through with it just for the science of it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
try it with a piece of meat first :laughing9: I know what i would be doing with it . Look up the plans for a government .45 ACP, make your own. :wink:

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Red James cash said:
try it with a piece of meat first :laughing9: I know what i would be doing with it . Look up the plans for a government .45 ACP, make your own. :wink:

We'll it's only a 2-D cutter. Not a lathe or mill. BUT, I have plans to get a cnc mill in within the year. Lets see what happens.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
mikeofaustin, I sure do miss those cool machines,now retired,made all kinds of "home projects",and got payed for !!! God Bless HH Chris

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We'll it's only a 2-D cutter. Not a lathe or mill. BUT, I have plans to get a cnc mill in within the year. Lets see what happens.

Thats a shame. So can the depth of the cut be controlled? Ive always wanted to build my own gun. Even drew up plans for one which would of worked. Having the correct tools to make it was a whole other story.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, too cool. Why don't you do that thing with coins where they cut them out and leave the profile of Kennedy and mount them on black velvet? Everybody in the trailer park would want one of those. Actually, cuttin out the 'Walking Liberty' would be pretty.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
RGINN said:
Cool, too cool. Why don't you do that thing with coins where they cut them out and leave the profile of Kennedy and mount them on black velvet? Everybody in the trailer park would want one of those. Actually, cuttin out the 'Walking Liberty' would be pretty.
RGINN, you going to donate one?????

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
RGINN said:

That's actually what I will be capable of when we get the CNC mill. It's precision will be about the same (0.0005"). So yes, you can even write you name on a grain of rice.

Small update. So tonight before I left work, we pulled up a company logo and dialed it down to 'thumbnail size' (literally). We set the laser power to 30 percent, I put my index finger under the cutting head and let-her-rip. Long story short, a lot of screaming during and after it was done. The 'cut' went all the way through my fingernail, and I now have a dried blood image in my fingernail of the company logo. The best part about it was that the CEO of company that's funding us was there to watch it happen. Brings a whole new level to the phrase brown nosing. He did actually record it and said it would be up on youtube. So, I'll be sure to start a new thread here (is that alright), so everyone can witness my pain, and the after effect. Albiet, I'm a little worried becuase it seems to be a little more painful than your simple, 'drove a needle through my finger nail'. I'm thinking that since it went throught the nail, that I now have the image burned into the finger bone. It sure feels like it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoops, i think you should of tried it at 5% :laughing9: Bones dont have nerves so youre probably just feeling the burn. At least the laser probably cauterized the cut through your nail.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Red James cash said:
Whoops, i think you should of tried it at 5% :laughing9: Bones dont have nerves so youre probably just feeling the burn. At least the laser probably cauterized the cut through your nail.

Yep, it went straight through the nail without stopping. There's no reason it should have stalled directly after... so, I feel it's safe to say I have bone etchings with a company logo. Perhaps they'll dig me up in a few million years and wonder what it means.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OK, Mike, if I understand all of your posts so far correctly, you have procured a cnc and have no real use for it other than appeasing some masochistic :whip2: tendencies. Is that correct ?

If so, allow me to send you my shipping address, and I can give you an easy solution to your quandry. :icon_thumleft:

I'll even pay the freight !

I have been trying to find / make the time to build one for myself and have just been too danged busy to start such an undertaking. (which presents a bit of a paradox as, if I had one to process most of the repetitive stuff I build, I WOULD then have the time to build one !) :icon_scratch:

Diggem'

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Diggemall said:
OK, Mike, if I understand all of your posts so far correctly, you have procured a cnc and have no real use for it other than appeasing some masochistic :whip2: tendencies. Is that correct ?

If so, allow me to send you my shipping address, and I can give you an easy solution to your quandry. :icon_thumleft:

I'll even pay the freight !

I have been trying to find / make the time to build one for myself and have just been too danged busy to start such an undertaking. (which presents a bit of a paradox as, if I had one to process most of the repetitive stuff I build, I WOULD then have the time to build one !) :icon_scratch:

Diggem'

We actually got ours for a few grand from a company out of california. But, if you ever need anything etched/cut, I'll be glad to do it for free. Now, the new toy (the CNC mill) will be about 5 grand. I'm hoping to get that in within the next 6 months?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread