jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay is banning listings for replica coins effective February 20. According to spokesperson Johnna Hoff, the policy update was based on feedback from coin collectors, buyers and sellers. "We expect this update to help people shop and sell more confidently within the coin category on eBay," she said. The policy also helps ensure compliance with applicable laws.
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y12/m01/i20/s02

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
All this will do is make the people who sell counterfeit coins get even better at making hard-to-detect fakes....

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering the same.

So if the person dosn't say it's

Fake, a Repleca, or a Copy
and it's not Marked COPY

they can post It ?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, who's to stop them :dontknow: I don't remember there being any E-bay police department :laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Effective Feb. 20, replica coins will be disallowed on eBay.com. eBay defines replica coins as a copy or reproduction of an actual coin, including U.S., foreign and other historic coins.
New listings and re-listings will be prohibited. Existing listings will be allowed to expire.
This update better reflects standards across the coin industry, and helps ensure compliance with applicable laws that require replica coins to be permanently marked with the word, "copy."

So, In order to protect a buyer from buying a counterfeit copy that is not marked, they are going to disallow anybody from listing an AUTHENTIC COPY that IS marked according to industry standards??

Wow that makes sense! :icon_scratch:

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
If I ever tried to sell any of the pieces-of-eight and doubloons I'm making on ebay, I'd just call them "fantasy" coins instead of "replicas". (I can't find real ones, and most other "replica" ones are *bleep*, so I'm making my own. :wink: Not to worry, they will have COPY on them, as well as changes in the mint/assayer info that anybody familiar with cobs etc. would spot instantly.) Nah, who am I kidding, not going to sell on ebay and give them a cut of the action.... :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread