How To Sell A House....Need suggestions

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
List it on Craigslist, I bought and sold 2 houses that way, also I used a flat rate realitor, he took care of all the paper work for $500

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
snakeyes said:
List it on Craigslist, I bought and sold 2 houses that way, also I used a flat rate realitor, he took care of all the paper work for $500

Thanks, I tried YouTube and it was useless. I never thought about Craigslist. I've been hearing some good things about it lately. I'll give Craigs a try.

How did you make contact with a flat rate realtor? All I know want 10% or more.

Badger

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, this may not be completely ethical, but the the heck, you want to sell it right. :dontknow: :headbang:

Craigslist, does look like a good place for this, so now, sit back and think of a story to help sell this bad boy... I know just the story too :tongue3:

Remember, the most important part about this is to know a little local history and when the house was originally built. :thumbsup: Next, make up a story about a possible hidden cache with a very high value, jewelry, and tons of old coins... Now publish this ad on Craigslist and also mention here that you are selling this house.

I am quite certain that you may even get a bidding war from some of the posters here :tongue3:

If you want help, I'll require a 10% agent/marketing/sales fee :hello2:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus53 said:
OK, this may not be completely ethical, but the the heck, you want to sell it right. :dontknow: :headbang:

Craigslist, does look like a good place for this, so now, sit back and think of a story to help sell this bad boy... I know just the story too :tongue3:

Remember, the most important part about this is to know a little local history and when the house was originally built. :thumbsup: Next, make up a story about a possible hidden cache with a very high value, jewelry, and tons of old coins... Now publish this ad on Craigslist and also mention here that you are selling this house.

I am quite certain that you may even get a bidding war from some of the posters here :tongue3:

If you want help, I'll require a 10% agent/marketing/sales fee :hello2:

I may just take you up on this.
Selling a house in Michigan is like trying to sell beefsteak to a Hindu.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker, many years ago I started a rumor in a large company I worked for, just for the heck of it.. By the time it got back to me, I almost believed it :laughing7:

I'm willing to buy anything, the only problem is I pay for everything in monopoly money :tongue3:

Michigan Badger, not to worry I can sell ice to an Eskimo in the dead of winter :tongue3:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are thinking "real estate broker" find an ethical one - fees should be 5-7% for homes, 8-10% for barren land.

I'm afraid Michigan in January is going to be a tougher sell than Michigan in June or July. Just a thought.

Beth

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When houses are selling great, sell it yourself but when the market is in a slump don't try and make a bundle, use a realtor for 5 or 6% as they will advertise it at their cost not yours. The market is not going to get better any time soon, take the loss or break even and move on. Yes I'm a realtor :laughing9:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marchas45 said:
When houses are selling great, sell it yourself but when the market is in a slump don't try and make a bundle, use a realtor for 5 or 6% as they will advertise it at their cost not yours. The market is not going to get better any time soon, take the loss or break even and move on. Yes I'm a realtor :laughing9:

I agree with Marchas, The outlook is pitiful, lenders are tight and there is an overabundance of housing. There are a bunch of ideas the government is contemplating but, as usual, they will make things worse.

I just sold a place at 25k below assessed value and was glad to be shut of it. there are decent markets, but I am not in one of those lol.

wayne_sa

Jun 30, 2009
san antonio
Badger, does the lake have a name? How long have you owned this place? What is the sq. ft. and condition? Is it in a neighbor hood or on one of those funky/cool lake roads? Is the property on the shore?
I bet we could sell this. I would target Chicago and Cleveland and Detroit.

Heck, there's still peeps in Saginaw with money for a lake house. Make it irresistible. Sell the dream, man. Deer, birch and foliage.

Good Luck

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Badger, I'd give my left eye tooth for that gem. About five years ago they were selling off Adirondack Park property, boy scouts land since like 1930 or so, 500 acres+, beautiful lake, beach houses, cabins, mess hall, outbuildings, old outdoor auditorium with wooden benches in a natural amphitheater, landlocked salmon, brookies, rainbows. Even smelt. Not to mention three or four old two story houses built on the shoreline. They wanted about 1.5 mill. Got offer for 1.2 mill. But the sale fell apart over the exact lines of the property. The economy tanked, no more serious offers were made for a while. Finally it was sold for 475 grand about a year or two ago. I only found a couple silver outa there, the place was hit hard thru the eighties and nineties, it was a bonanza grounds back in the heyday. But I bet there are a ton more silver in there.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Badger, I'd give my left eye tooth for that gem. About five years ago they were selling off Adirondack Park property, boy scouts land since like 1930 or so, 500 acres+, beautiful lake, beach houses, cabins, mess hall, outbuildings, old outdoor auditorium with wooden benches in a natural amphitheater, landlocked salmon, brookies, rainbows. Even smelt. Not to mention three or four old two story houses built on the shoreline. They wanted about 1.5 mill. Got offer for 1.2 mill. But the sale fell apart over the exact lines of the property. The economy tanked, no more serious offers were made for a while. Finally it was sold for 475 grand about a year or two ago. I only found a couple silver outa there, the place was hit hard thru the eighties and nineties, it was a bonanza grounds back in the heyday. But I bet there are a ton more silver in there.

I agree. Silver is easy to miss.

When the price of property gets much over $100,000 it's a hard sell today most everywhere. If people can't make the payments it doesn't matter how great the deal is.

I see lots of real estate going today for under $50,000 that 10 years ago may have brought $90,000. Foreclosures are the name of the game right now and many younger folks with good incomes are cleaning up on super investment deals. My son is constantly buying duplexes and small houses.

I heard of one fellow in the area who had a house evaluated at about $750,000. A few years ago he turned down about $550,000 for it. He recently sold it for about $350,000 (I heard).

This downtrend isn't over by any means. All the feedback I'm getting indicates we haven't seen anything yet. The recovery in real estate is not expected for at least another 20 years. They could be wrong and surprises do happen but I doubt it.

These are fabulous days of opportunity for young folks with big incomes.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really sounds like a great little getaway :thumbsup: Now let's talk credit terms.. I know I have little to no creditability, but what about actual credit :tongue3:

Sadly, I think it's what most people think, the market will remain weak for a long, long time to come. Like you, I don't think we hit bottom yet and that is scarey. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread