Will the US ever adopt the Metric System?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our American system of 12 comes from the Biblical system of cubits given to the Hebrews by God recorded in the Bible.

The metric system of ten is a form rebellion against God and His laws.

Is it just coincidence the the USA is the most blessed nation in history and we use God's measuring system?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hmmm, I never measured anything in cubits before. I suspect God told them to build things in measurements known to the builders.

The older cars from the '80s were a bit aggravating because some of the stuff was metric and some was standard, all under the same hood. Stupidity. A 3/8" wrench is a bit smaller than a 10mm but they look the same, so you grab both. A 13mm is slightly larger than a 1/2". 14mm smaller than a 9/16", etc... Using one where when you should use the other can ruin the fastener head. At least cars are pretty much the same now with metric across the board. I don't mind having both systems to deal with, as long as they aren't mixed together.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any real reason to change to metric? Why should we have a logical system, when we still have an illogical coin system. The penny is worthless, and we still keep making them. There is no reason to be in step with the rest of the world, lets just live in our own little bubble and pretend that the rest of the world does not exist. Im sure after a while, all the metric countries in the world will change to our simple system, once they see how logical it is. Why have a system that even a first grader can learn? How many people know how many feet are in a mile, how many sq feet are in an acre, how many acre's are in a sq mile, how many feet in a nautical mile? If anyone can answer correctly, then he is in the 1% class. For the rest of us, we have to look it up on Google! That is being SMART.

They tried the metric system in California years ago, hi-way signs were in km, and miles, but people were shooting holes in the signs, which is logical of course. If you dont agree with it, then shoot it!

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
as an engineer, I use "2.54" just about everyday of my life. Metric, divided by 2.54, will give you the American measurement.

1cm / 2.54 = .394 inches (rounded up).

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
they trayed to back in the 70s we said no way american standard or else and they dropped the idea before gas went back to normal prices

reconx86

Oct 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way, they are both odd systems, one is based on the diameter of the earth at the equator and the other is based on an old English kings foot. So take your choice ? It's what you got use to. The older you are, the less you want to change. By the way, don't worry about the wrench sizes, just use the one that fits. many are interchangeable and there is always the fitsall adj. Frank

Maybe you should look at it this way:
Many life threatening have occured, just because some people refuse to go along with "International Standard".

Especially in the "International Business" for example the "Gimli Glider", a brand new 767 that took off with less fuel than required and landed on a drag race strip.
There is a lot more happening in this and other industries, that create these conversion problems on dialy basis.

But they are mostly prevented from becoming a life threatning situation because of multiple checks, but Murphey's Law states:
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"... and that day pro-SI people will be saying "I told you so"

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought that we already converted to the metric system. I taught high school science and social studies(mostly science) and our books here in San Antonio were all in metrics. It is such an easy system to learn. One or two classes of explanation and practice and the students were set for the year. Never a problem and then they used it in college too. Little conversion chart where you moved a decimal point right or left. Piece of cake.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From an industrial/manufacturing point of view, back in the 80's and into the early 90's there was a big push to convert everything to metric due to all the European markets that were pressuring American manufactures/suppliers with these demands. And believe it or not, some patents were even threatened unless they were converted to metric components. At the time I was working with a lot American auto manufacturers/suppliers/engineers, ect., and this was a constant concern for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread