Oyster Hunting Question

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought maybe some of you salt dogs might be able to better direct me on this issue. Been doing a lot of oystery hunting latley, but....still doing about 50/50 on those that will open when steamed and those that are no good, even though they appear to be fine when collecting them. Any of you seasoned oystery guys got any tips for upping the percentage of good ones? :dontknow:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
can't help ya. almost all the ones we got opened. but then maybe the cold water in WA makes the difference. how do you clean them?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest going to a reputable sea food market.. Then again, what do I know :dontknow: :tongue3:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closed shells means they are or were good but didn't get cooked enough. They should be cooked an additional few minutes after opening to assure they are thoroughly cooked. We ALWAYS barbecue ours. Set them on the grill with the larger shell on the bottom so you don't lose any juices. Pop them open, add a little garlic powder, and you're good to go. A thousand years from now they are going to think the field we throw the shells into was the ocean bottom 'cause there are hundreds of shells out there. :D
I copied this off the net:
Use small pots to boil or steam shellfish. If too many shells are cooking in the same pot, it's possible that the ones in the middle won't get thoroughly cooked. Discard any clams, mussels or oysters that do not open during cooking. Closed shells may mean they have not received adequate heat.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
can't help ya. almost all the ones we got opened. but then maybe the cold water in WA makes the difference. how do you clean them?

I just use a wire brush and wash them off. Get them at low tide in about a foot of water where there's good flow. :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Closed shells means they are or were good but didn't get cooked enough. They should be cooked an additional few minutes after opening to assure they are thoroughly cooked. We ALWAYS barbecue ours. Set them on the grill with the larger shell on the bottom so you don't lose any juices. Pop them open, add a little garlic powder, and you're good to go. A thousand years from now they are going to think the field we throw the shells into was the ocean bottom 'cause there are hundreds of shells out there. :D
I copied this off the net:
Use small pots to boil or steam shellfish. If too many shells are cooking in the same pot, it's possible that the ones in the middle won't get thoroughly cooked. Discard any clams, mussels or oysters that do not open during cooking. Closed shells may mean they have not received adequate heat.

I'm going to try the grill Thanks! :thumbsup:

As far as heat, just for the heck of it and thinking along that same line, I let some of them cook the entire time just to see if they needed to cook longer but they still didn't open. Some of them were in there a full 20 minutes. However, I did load the steamer up pretty heavily so maybe I'm just cooking too many at a time. :dontknow:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez - I like them raw!

Of course, the only place in Wisconsin we get oysters is the grocery store..............

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS..we have never had one not open on the grill. We have had a couple that opened before we grilled them and those we tossed. One night 6 of us, including my oyster-loving granddaughter, ate 111 oysters and they weren't little ones. Had 112 but tossed one.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
I quit eating them raw. Didn't want to run into any "Bum Luck". ;D Seriously though, it can be dangerous
packerbacker said:
PS..we have never had one not open on the grill. We have had a couple that opened before we grilled them and those we tossed. One night 6 of us, including my oyster-loving granddaughter, ate 111 oysters and they weren't little ones. Had 112 but tossed one.

Won't eat them raw either.......too many toxins at risk these days. :thumbsup:

You're just laying them flat on the rack?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, just flat on the grill. There is a "bottom" shell; has a lip "slightly" larger than the other one. Have the larger shell on the bottom so you don't spill out the juices. After they open, they are ready. If you overcook them they will be dry and chewy. They will be very hot! An ov-glove works great but you can get it done with a rag or pot holder. The meat will be stuck to the bottom shell. Just cut it loose and use the shell like a sipping cup. Garlic powder, maybe pepper and/or tobasco sauce...........mmmmmm...........MMMMMMMMM!

Attachments

• oyster.jpg
    oyster.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 464

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I like them grilled too. although my fav is wrap oyster in slice of bacon use toothpick to hold in place & throw on the grill. when bacon is crisp, you got yourself a little bite of heaven. gosh I'm getting jealous.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Yes, just flat on the grill. There is a "bottom" shell; has a lip "slightly" larger than the other one. Have the larger shell on the bottom so you don't spill out the juices. After they open, they are ready. If you overcook them they will be dry and chewy. They will be very hot! An ov-glove works great but you can get it done with a rag or pot holder. The meat will be stuck to the bottom shell. Just cut it loose and use the shell like a sipping cup. Garlic powder, maybe pepper and/or tobasco sauce...........mmmmmm...........MMMMMMMMM!
mamabear said:
I like them grilled too. although my fav is wrap oyster in slice of bacon use toothpick to hold in place & throw on the grill. when bacon is crisp, you got yourself a little bite of heaven. gosh I'm getting jealous.

Oh boy! Thanks bunches on both accounts! Guess what I'll be trying this weekend! :thumbsup:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of a real oyster. Notice the lip of the bottom shell is just a little larger than the top one and the bottom shell is also deeper with the meat and juices in it.

Attachments

• oyster2.jpg
    oyster2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 442
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Here's a pic of a real oyster. Notice the lip of the bottom shell is just a little larger than the top one and the bottom shell is also deeper with the meat and juices in it.

Got it. :thumbsup: Thanks!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! |

Can't think of a better way to go! And can't think of a worse world than with no raw oysters. 8)

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Hot grill, 2 wet burlap sacks. Lay one very wet sack on grill add layer of oysters cover with second very wet sack. But my favorite way is to get 8-10 bushels call up family n friends. I use 4 gas cookers n 4 turkey frier pots with wire baskets add about 3? of water to the pots, put a brick in the bottom to hold basket out of water, add oysters n cover. When the ones on top start to open the rest r ready. For cleaning i use to go to carwash works great just dont use the soap! Now i have a big expanded metal tray that will hold bout 2 bushels at a time and hitm with the pressure washer. I preffer my oysters straight out of the shell no dressings, I want to taste oyster, same way with my steak... I very important thing if they dont open chances r they were dead, and u do not want to eat a bitter stomach turning dead oyster!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Here's a pic of some bagged oysters on ice just waiting for the grill to get hot.

Which reminds me....how long are they safe to keep on ice etc.?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread