Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Charter Member
    us
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LagoonRiver

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2115 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Oyster Hunting Question

Thought maybe some of you salt dogs might be able to better direct me on this issue. Been doing a lot of oystery hunting latley, but....still doing about 50/50 on those that will open when steamed and those that are no good, even though they appear to be fine when collecting them. Any of you seasoned oystery guys got any tips for upping the percentage of good ones?
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    710 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking

Re: Oyster Hunting Question

can't help ya. almost all the ones we got opened. but then maybe the cold water in WA makes the difference. how do you clean them?
    dancing in the fire!

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I suggest going to a reputable sea food market.. Then again, what do I know

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    1693 times

Closed shells means they are or were good but didn't get cooked enough. They should be cooked an additional few minutes after opening to assure they are thoroughly cooked. We ALWAYS barbecue ours. Set them on the grill with the larger shell on the bottom so you don't lose any juices. Pop them open, add a little garlic powder, and you're good to go. A thousand years from now they are going to think the field we throw the shells into was the ocean bottom 'cause there are hundreds of shells out there.
    I copied this off the net:
    Use small pots to boil or steam shellfish. If too many shells are cooking in the same pot, it's possible that the ones in the middle won't get thoroughly cooked. Discard any clams, mussels or oysters that do not open during cooking. Closed shells may mean they have not received adequate heat.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2115 times

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear
    can't help ya. almost all the ones we got opened. but then maybe the cold water in WA makes the difference. how do you clean them?
    I just use a wire brush and wash them off. Get them at low tide in about a foot of water where there's good flow.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2115 times

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker
    Closed shells means they are or were good but didn't get cooked enough. They should be cooked an additional few minutes after opening to assure they are thoroughly cooked. We ALWAYS barbecue ours. Set them on the grill with the larger shell on the bottom so you don't lose any juices. Pop them open, add a little garlic powder, and you're good to go. A thousand years from now they are going to think the field we throw the shells into was the ocean bottom 'cause there are hundreds of shells out there.
    I copied this off the net:
    Use small pots to boil or steam shellfish. If too many shells are cooking in the same pot, it's possible that the ones in the middle won't get thoroughly cooked. Discard any clams, mussels or oysters that do not open during cooking. Closed shells may mean they have not received adequate heat.
    I'm going to try the grill Thanks!

As far as heat, just for the heck of it and thinking along that same line, I let some of them cook the entire time just to see if they needed to cook longer but they still didn't open. Some of them were in there a full 20 minutes. However, I did load the steamer up pretty heavily so maybe I'm just cooking too many at a time.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    520 times

Geez - I like them raw!

Of course, the only place in Wisconsin we get oysters is the grocery store..............
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    1693 times

I quit eating them raw. Didn't want to run into any "Bum Luck". Seriously though, it can be dangerous

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    1693 times

PS..we have never had one not open on the grill. We have had a couple that opened before we grilled them and those we tossed. One night 6 of us, including my oyster-loving granddaughter, ate 111 oysters and they weren't little ones. Had 112 but tossed one.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2115 times

I quit eating them raw. Didn't want to run into any "Bum Luck". Seriously though, it can be dangerous
    PS..we have never had one not open on the grill. We have had a couple that opened before we grilled them and those we tossed. One night 6 of us, including my oyster-loving granddaughter, ate 111 oysters and they weren't little ones. Had 112 but tossed one.
    Won't eat them raw either.......too many toxins at risk these days.

You're just laying them flat on the rack?

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    1693 times

Yes, just flat on the grill. There is a "bottom" shell; has a lip "slightly" larger than the other one. Have the larger shell on the bottom so you don't spill out the juices. After they open, they are ready. If you overcook them they will be dry and chewy. They will be very hot! An ov-glove works great but you can get it done with a rag or pot holder. The meat will be stuck to the bottom shell. Just cut it loose and use the shell like a sipping cup. Garlic powder, maybe pepper and/or tobasco sauce...........mmmmmm...........MMMMMMMMM!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oyster.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	604137  

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    710 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking

I like them grilled too. although my fav is wrap oyster in slice of bacon use toothpick to hold in place & throw on the grill. when bacon is crisp, you got yourself a little bite of heaven. gosh I'm getting jealous.
    dancing in the fire!

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2115 times

Yes, just flat on the grill. There is a "bottom" shell; has a lip "slightly" larger than the other one. Have the larger shell on the bottom so you don't spill out the juices. After they open, they are ready. If you overcook them they will be dry and chewy. They will be very hot! An ov-glove works great but you can get it done with a rag or pot holder. The meat will be stuck to the bottom shell. Just cut it loose and use the shell like a sipping cup. Garlic powder, maybe pepper and/or tobasco sauce...........mmmmmm...........MMMMMMMMM!
    Quote Originally Posted by mamabear
    I like them grilled too. although my fav is wrap oyster in slice of bacon use toothpick to hold in place & throw on the grill. when bacon is crisp, you got yourself a little bite of heaven. gosh I'm getting jealous.
    Oh boy! Thanks bunches on both accounts! Guess what I'll be trying this weekend!

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    1693 times

Here's a pic of a real oyster. Notice the lip of the bottom shell is just a little larger than the top one and the bottom shell is also deeper with the meat and juices in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2115 times

Here's a pic of a real oyster. Notice the lip of the bottom shell is just a little larger than the top one and the bottom shell is also deeper with the meat and juices in it.
    Got it. Thanks!

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    520 times

Ha! |

Can't think of a better way to go! And can't think of a worse world than with no raw oysters. 8)
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    853 times

What's the oysters opinion?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Name:	Gathering oysters from Mangove roots with my machete.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	604187  
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    Nov 2006
    Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
    11 times

Hot grill, 2 wet burlap sacks. Lay one very wet sack on grill add layer of oysters cover with second very wet sack. But my favorite way is to get 8-10 bushels call up family n friends. I use 4 gas cookers n 4 turkey frier pots with wire baskets add about 3? of water to the pots, put a brick in the bottom to hold basket out of water, add oysters n cover. When the ones on top start to open the rest r ready. For cleaning i use to go to carwash works great just dont use the soap! Now i have a big expanded metal tray that will hold bout 2 bushels at a time and hitm with the pressure washer. I preffer my oysters straight out of the shell no dressings, I want to taste oyster, same way with my steak... I very important thing if they dont open chances r they were dead, and u do not want to eat a bitter stomach turning dead oyster!

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    1693 times

Here's a pic of some bagged oysters on ice just waiting for the grill to get hot.

Name:	oysters.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	604256  

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2115 times

Here's a pic of some bagged oysters on ice just waiting for the grill to get hot.
    Which reminds me....how long are they safe to keep on ice etc.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors