Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again great info and thanks for that link rockhound

I went into Practical Survivor website. they bought a ceramic filter for $30 and had a video on how to install in buckets.
super duper simple

filter from the emergency H20 site

I am going to get a filter and buy buckets and just keep it in the pantry supply cabinet for 'when if ever needed' but at least I will have it. thanks all

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you have been watching "preppers' on tv, you will notice that most don't have enough water for a extended outage. Anything can disrupt your water supply, and you don't realize how much you miss it until you don't have it. Also you don't realize how much you use. Look at you municiapal water bill, if you are on a municipal system, to see what your monthly usage is. You can go without food for several days, but you will soon become dehydrated without water. Most of the prepper wer stocking plenty of food, but not nearly enough water for any extended time, if and when something happens. Good Luck. rockhound

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The berkey is popular among the prepper groups, but from what I've read, they have problems coming apart over time. I don't have any filters other than the piped one under my sink, but it might be a good idea. I also understand that you can buy pool shock packets and dissolve small amounts of this into water to make bleach, and these store more easily and make much more bleach than gallon bottles do. Boiling the water is a good idea too, but it makes the water flat tasting. To improve it, put it into a bottle half full and shake it violently to help get air back into the water.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great added info !! thanks

yea, on the show everyone was under-watered. you are right. water is key big time. without you aren't going to make it.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
KISS
Fancy water systems are fine if you are affluent or have specific need . For general survival the basics are all that's necessary :
Rudimentary rough filter that can be built up from materials on site . Boil , boil , boil . Treat with Clorox/clorine .
Taste will not be a priority in an emergency situation . Hydration is the priority .
Water aquisition in an arid area is another propisition beyond this thread .
If you can find surface water and are prepared you can make it drinkable .

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of the guys already stated, know how to properly treat and/or boil water as a last-ditch method.
Chlorine Dioxide tabs are handy to have too!
I think the Berkey filters are great as stationary filters go. I personally chose to go with the Katadyn Pocket for reasons of portability.
Activated charcoal is very good for taking the taste out of the water, as well as radiation material should we ever have to handle a situation like other countries have.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread