Just WOW! (from a previous topic of trying to talk to the owl in my area)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I posted a few months back about how the city cut down the big oak tree across the street. Then, also how that tree was the home of an owl. And then later yet... how I was calling to the owl ("who-who-who"). So just now, I walk out on my back porch and hear the owl very close by. I look over, and this very critter is looking straight at me from about 25 feet away. Dead still. I start to walk inside of fear of what t-net people warned my about ("he'll scratch your eyes out"). And then it "who's" again. I walk out again and it flies away. Now, I'm an idiot, so since I posted that initial topic about the owl a few months back, I have not mentioned that I continued to call the owl (after it was 'calling' me). Long story short.... Now I'm kind of scared that this critter will try to eat my rat terrior... That owl was HUGE!!!! It was as big as a watermelon perched on a fence. It's obviously eating well. I'll have to do some research on how these critters hunt, and what I'm up against.

...or perhaps it will end up with a 'disney' ending, where the owl becomes by best friend. But, I'm not betting on that :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
walt disney as a kid snuck up on a owl and killed it * he felt great remorse afterward and later developed a great fondness for animals of all sorts .

owls are very very alert and hard to slip up on -- they are master hunters and hunt mostly from dusk to dawn --their mainly night hunters --so keep a close eye on your "small" dog at these times --early dawn and near dusk and at night -- small dogs and cats are fair game for larger breed owls --the "who cooks for you " type owls are called barred owls --the who whoing is them looking for a mate & also marking his "hunting" territory from other males -- you teased him , he is looking for love you tease.

owls like all raptors tend to have favorite "perch trees" from which they like to hunt , which they tend to use over and over in a sort of curcuit as they go from spot to spot hunting thru out the night . often at a set time they well "come by" the same basic spot while doing their hunting "rounds"

I can speak "owl" as well as "crow" for crows --one caw - is hunting "looking" for food , two caws is hey I found food , everyone come here --three caws means "danger - flee"-- a group of crows is called a "murder" --one on one crows are cowardly but if in large numbers , they will often savagely and non stop attack killing weak or helpess prey --- by the way owls and crows hate one another and are mortal enemys

barred owls run about 3 lbs in weight and have a 3 to 3 1/2 foot wing span -- squirrels are common prey as are rats --but all types of small animals like snakes and other birds are too.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
O.k., So, I'm now thinking that, since he was on the fence, he was currently 'hunting' ( or seeking 'love'). There are also a lot of 'roof rats' in my neighborhood (nocturnal creators), and also in my back yard, so hopefully, he was just hunting them. But the fact that he was so low to the ground (perched on the 6 foot privacy fence) now has me worried. My German Shepard is 75 pounds, and the rat terrier is about 30 ( fat little bitch).

reminds me of a really bad date. You call her to get the date, but afterwards, you're sorry you even called her in the first place.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: this owl either loves you or is gonna get ya!!! this is a funny story. I enjoy reading about this owl and you! ;D

My papillion pup was super little. he is only 9.9 lbs now full grown. as a pup we went out about 1 am for him to pee in the front yard. over the roof came an owl. as little pup was heading to the mailbox to pee, owl flew down on the ground and landed behind him. I was on the front steps waiting. I said shoo, owl turned looked at me and hesitated, then flew off.

I thought, wholly cow that owl was thinking of taking my little pup. I hear his WOO WHOO in the back pasture fenceline area.
he must hang out there. I also have a nice hawk which hunts my horse pasture. see him on the fence all the time.

saw him get a mouse in the field. he flew down, struck and pounced up and down, up and down, with his wings spread.
he stomped the heck out of that mouse I think

truly fun to watch and observe the big predator birds.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello Mike, your post of the owl reminds me of an experience I had one time.
Several years ago, my wife and I were canoeing on a small lake that was a connected to a couple other lakes and was
pretty heavily wooded at that time. While going through the channel to the next lake, I had to step into the woods for
a bit. We pulled over and I stepped out and straightened up and turned to take a few steps into the trees. Just as I
turned, there was a little owl sitting on a branch about three feet in front of my face. He was about seven or eight
inches high. His eyes looked so big and he was so cute I just stared at him for a bit. Then I made the mistake of
turning my head just a bit to tell Karen about him and ask her if she could see him. When I turned back, he was gone.
He was so cute and I was quite surprised to get such a close view of him, I'l never forget the sight of him. It is quite
a pleasant memory.

Ray

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
its not so much fun if your the mouse. :tard:

:laughing9:
yea I thought about the mouse or whatever it was he was stomping. it sure got the tar beat out of it for sure.
wasn't a good day for the mouse! :(

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I don't have to speak owl, or any other animal language..

That owl is just bidding his time, so watch your back :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions