Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Word Game

offloading is normally used in the maritime industry. Reason being the cranes on the vessel are working the loads. Unloading is considered working from the outside, in.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Language should be a living thing that changes and evolves. I find corporate speak fascinating. You get ready to fire a bunch of people, you can justify it by inventing words of at least 3 syllables. And actually get them to accept it in a resigned sort of way. If you got up in front of a bunch of long time employees and said 'Corporate profits suck, and they've decided we'll close this plant cause we can get the work done cheaper in another country, and most y'all will be fired'. That would be plain understandable English. You would have a quick riot. However, if you spun it and said 'After many studies in the field, the company has determined in order to maximize profits, and still provide the same quality product, we will begin outsourcing crucial areas of production, and will be downsizing certain departments, in order to rightsize the work force. I know as long term employees, you are as thrilled as I am to hear this new direction the company is taking for the future.' That'll keep em confused til they're fired. And for the last time, the correct phrase is 'buck-naked', not 'butt-naked'.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

greydigger,

I hear ya!!! :headbang:

There was a comedian that used to talk about that - George Carlin - he was great with that sort of thing. The drive on a parkway, park in a driveway, then he talked about what used to be called shell-shocked, and then it was battle fatique and he works it all the way up to PTSS (post traumatic stress syndrome), and then the whole bit on "hearing challenged" instead of deaf, etc.

I remember, when the word "ain't" was not in the dictionary. Now look what is in there.

Sign me ----- youth challenged

Beth

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Mrs O,
I saw George Carlin do a show in Portland Or and his lead in was a guy did an accoustical solo song called "Roads to Moscow". Similar in style to "American Pie" song. Excellent.
Carlin also did the 7 words you cannot say on television. Well that aint true no more...
I have heard American English is hardest to learn because of constant changes.
Wonder if Cockney ryming slang isn't up there too.
Even Am English varies from state to state.
Once went to graduation from boot camp at MCRD for my son.
Very big Sgt. Major (?) gave a speach and I didn't know most of his words.
Hard to follow orders when you can't understand them I thought.
BTW wudjeet fersup? LOL
Grey

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Speaking of the word "gay", I wish those with same-sex preferences wouldn't get all in a tizzy over phrases like "That movie was gay." Why should homosexuals have a monopoly on the definition of "gay"? Just as gay can mean happy, maybe it can mean stupid or silly too. Lighten up!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

I wonder how far the split is between the Kings English & American English has gone. Take as an example the word Bully. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread