Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Do Y'all Remember.....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    1548 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Do Y'all Remember.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coinstriking Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by AU24K
    OK.
    Anyone remember "Fizzies?"

Mmmmmm....

Scott
    What were they exactly?

Were they hard candy that had a fizzy center and they came in a strip?
    No.
    Fizzies were a tablet that was flavored that you would put in a glass of water and due to it's effervescent properties would "fizz" much like Alka Seltzer rendering a barely palitable drink to be prized over sisters or neighbor kids...

The Root Beer was the best...{or least worse?}

From the 60's...

Scott

CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    56 times
    Metal Detecting

stomping on coke cans till they stick to your shoes, so you sound like a horse comming down the road. Baseball cards in the spokes of your bicycle, playing marbles in the dirt for keeps.
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    1841 times

After the war, Mounds candy bars came back into production. They were 10 cents, twice the cost of a Hershey bar. God they were good. Saturday movie was 12 cents, soda and popcorn a nickle each. No TV, the operator had a smile in her voice, our phone number was something like 459J. No dial but out in the country they had party lines and you had to turn the crank to ring up the operator. Everyone on the line listened in. I drove a '29 model A Ford coupe in High School. You could get 6 kids into the car if 4 were girls. Sneaky anatomy lessons if'n ya knows what I mean. The car cost me $50, and I was a senior in high school when I joined the Navy in 1955. .22 ammo cost .50 cents, and it was hard to come by that much money. Before high school I had a huge paper route that paid $16 a month, the papers were delivered by me, rain or shine, riding my bicycle. The subscription for the paper was a buck, and I got a dime, so I was delivering 160 papers, but I was a big kid and could do it. By the time I was in High school they made my route into 3 separate ones, but I had already quit. At age 16 I saved my money and purchased -- on my own without parental permission -- a .22 caliber Colt Huntsman pistol for around $40. I don't recollect any flak from my parents over the purchase, and nobody at the gun store got in trouble selling it to me. Then I went to the sheriff of San Luis Obispo county, again on my own, and got a permit to carry it concealed. it came with restrictions, but I still had a CCW in California when I was 16. Try that now. We took shot guns and deer rifles to school so we could go hunting after school. When I was 10, 11, and 12 years old, the NRA had a kids rifle team that had a 50 foot range in the basement of the Ford Garage. On Wednesday nights during the school year one of our parents would car pool and take us to town. It was winter so it was dark when the shooting was over, and we walked home. We all had our own rifles, and three or four armed preteens walked right through town, after dark, and nobody said a word. Don't even recollect getting looked at sideways by anyone. If we wanted to look for "arrow heads," you went to the Ranger in that particular National Forest, and they would tell you the best place to look. Times they are changing.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    1441 times

Sigh, buncha spoiled kiddies.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    May 2010
    McLoud Oklahoma
    White's MXT, DFX
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Reciting rhe "Pledge of Allegiance" at the beginning of each school day.
    TG&Y stores.
    B&W Television.
    Your Grandparents only had an AM radio.
    There was only an outhouse at the farm.
    The milk man delivered and so did the Ice House.
    The only paved roads were in town.
    You learned to drive on a tractor.
    You hunted crawdads in the creek to use for fishbait in the pond.

Jul 2005
    Napoleon MI 49201
    Garrett
    20 times

I guess I really am old. You kids that came along as baby boomers, dont remember tin can collecting drives, collecting any metal that wasnt bolted down ,for scrap drives, no butter but margarine that came in a bag with a color button, we would sit on the porch,squeezing the bag to mix in the color. A B and c stickers for gas, bribed the owner of the hardware store for extra candy bars ,by mowing his lawn . one mowing = four hershey bars=20 cents for his hellish big lawn. then collecting railroad torpedos and big old bolts and nuts, to make bolt bombs,if thrown offf the porch roof on to the concrete, they would explode and fly sometimes two blocks. My grandfather used to sit in the window ,keeping count of what kind of war materiial went by, and B24 bombers check flying from Willow Run ,over jackson and Kalamazoo and back. Hightop boots with a knife pocket And knife. Now I am feeling really old. Bob

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    114 times
    eating

Yup, I remember these.

I recall gas at 28.9 cents a gallon. And I'll never forget visiting the 1st McDonalds in Grand Rapids Michigan. I was a kid but as I recall a burger, soda, and fries, came to a total of about 35 cents. One had to wait in a very long lineup to even order.

In the early 60's 57 Chevys (and all the other great 50's cars) could be had for under a thousand bucks. Most were under $500. My hot 57 Chevy with that big V8 cost me $225. I ran the heck out of that thing.

In 1964 I could have purchased a 1938 Indian motorcycle in mint condition for $100. Our next door neighbor would ride it up and down our street and that was it. I don't think it ever even got dirty. He also had a mint ca. 1959 BMW Isetta 300 he offered me for $100. I won't even tell you about the Woody!

My, if only, if only...right?
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2010
    1841 times

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMan
    army war around the school using dirt clods as gernades and never going home unless for supper or if a good t.v. show was on.....hearing the ice cream man ringing his ding ding bell a block away
    Clod fights, I totally forgot clod fights. That was a right of spring, grab a handful of grass and pull up the clod -- and dried cow pies, the first frizby's, we'd get in fights with them.

[quote]
    You kids that came along as baby boomers, dont remember tin can collecting drives, collecting any metal that wasnt bolted down ,for scrap drives, no butter but margarine that came in a bag with a color button,
    [quote]

I remember that, don't forget collecting left over bacon grease for the war effort. As cub scouts we'd take our little red wagon and go around town collecting left over bacon grease and other types of cooking grease and sell it to the butcher for 2 or 3 cents a pound. Supposedly it was used in some sort of explosives. I remember one time going to a house, and the lady was humongous, and my cousin says, "Hey lady, you got any extra fat?" She was really p. o'd. and we didn't get anything from her. You'd have to know my cousin, but we laughed about that still to this day. My friends dad bought a WWII mine detector and we took it out looking for treasure. Went to an old house site that had a 7 or 8 inch oak tree growing up out of the chimney, which was all that was left of the house. We found a spoon, and I don't recollect anything else.

Charter Member
    us
    It's there,you just gotta look for it!

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    2198 times
    The one everybody else missed.

Heckle&Jeckle, Sky King,The Three Stooges,The Rifleman,RawHide,a Fireball was a penny,Kentucky Fried Chicken,those were the Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless Chris
    Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?

Everyone has a right to be WRONG,but,

it's not RIGHT to be wrong.

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    833 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking

AU24K, we would pass the time in church by having fizzy contests. to see who could keep one in their mouth without getting in trouble. hard to do, they kinda hurt. going to the lake w/ my BF & staying there all day without our parents being worried. using plastic bread bags over our socks to keep our feet dry when it snowed, chewing fresh tar frrom the road in the summer, (that was just down right weird!) catching lightning bugs, going to town in the old farm truck & for a special treat getting a coke & putting salted peanuts in it. going for long drives with the family just for fun (back when you could afford to do that) the friday night fish fry at the local volunteer fire dept, & being able to play on the fire truck. "camping" out in our big ole plymouth with my bf & pretending it was captain nemos sub. walking to the movies (afternoon matinee 5 cents) w/ big brother when he was 10 & I was 5, so much freedom we had then. now not so much. but the memories are great! & reading others memories is wonderful.
    oh I forgot, the family gathering to watch Mitch Miller, & the yearly pork rendering where we would treat ourselves at the end with home made cracklins!
    dancing in the fire!

us
    Jul 2010
    The heart of Aggieland
    Ace 250
    77 times

I remember when I was a kid, going to the drive in movie was a big deal, if you filled up the car with gas, they would give you a pair of orange plastic horse shoes to stick on your car, I think it was Gulf stations that did that. During deer season, playing in the ice house where all of the dead deer were. Remember when the meat market had sawdust on the floor? You could pedal your bike across town without having to worry about strangers. Being 5 years old and getting in trouble for trying dads winstons, 2 days ofter trying his Bud.
    TV's with no remote, having to have someone turn the antennae just right so we could watch the Cowboy's game.
    Does anyone remember Stuckey's?

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2010
    1841 times

Something else I just thought of. Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to
    kick our ass! And Dad told the teacher if I got a spanking at school, send a note home and I'd get another one when I got home. Nowhere was safe!

Charter Member
    us
    It's there,you just gotta look for it!

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    2198 times
    The one everybody else missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BosnMate
    Something else I just thought of. Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to
    kick our ass! And Dad told the teacher if I got a spanking at school, send a note home and I'd get another one when I got home. Nowhere was safe!
    I recall them ass whoopins,got some I deserved and some I didn't,made up for the times I DIDN'T get caught!!!
    Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?

Everyone has a right to be WRONG,but,

it's not RIGHT to be wrong.

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    37 times

I remember the rag man comming down the road in his horse drawn cart yelling..."Raaaagggg mmmaaaaannnn...

I remember people leaving their keys in the cars and not locking their front doors...

I remember trick or treating when people took the time to entertain you and guess who you were....everyone knew everyone in the neighborhood.

I remember pumping gas at .35 a gallon and people asking for 50 cents worth...and we checked the air in the tires, washed the windows and checked the oil...

I remember being paddled in school... ...clear up to highschool!

I remember getting cigarettes and lighter fluid for my grampap...

I remember how my eyes burned from the smoke while sitting at the bar with my dad

And speaking of smoking, I remember smoking being allowed in dept. stores, planes, grocery stores....

I remember our black rotary phone and the number have letters for the first 2 numbers. Ours was ST1...stood for Sterling....so when anyone asked your number you said.."Sterling 1" and the last 4 numbers.

Coke was .08 for the small bottle.

AM radio....3 channels on the old B&W tv, dirt roads, when calculators were invented, seperate bathrooms for blacks and whites...

Not everything from the past was pretty, but there are tons of awesome memories. Young people today could learn a lot from the not so distant past.

Love the old memories posts...thanks.

Al
    I think...therefore I am.

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    795 times

WOW!
    Trackin behind my Dad (a tramp hardrock miner in the high country of Colorado in the early 1950's) and hearing the stories the oldtimers told .
    Starting into a new Eisenhower consolidated school in 1956 in WV . Teachers met the busses and took our guns and knives for the day and gave them back before we got on the evening busses . They knew we'd need them before we got home .
    Gas was 0.13 a gallon when my Dad was pumping it into his '56 Chevy 2 door "Pike's Peak Special' with
    the 3 speed od tranny and big 4 bbl carb that he kicked butt on all the flathead Fords in our area .
    3 cent 10oz Cokes , 2 for a penny Joe Palooka Bubble gums(with the cartoon inner wrapper),and 2 cent
    Moon Pies at the company store . Miners waiting to go on shift threw dimes into the lot to watch us fight for them . Gouge enough eyes and bite enough ears to get several of those dimes and you could be set for a week !
    Helping farm with my grandpa (who was born in the 1800's) and learning from him how to handle a team of horses .
    Stolen chickens and garden produce along with underage booze produced better bonfire meals late on a
    Saturday night than you could ever buy in a restaruant today .
    Tank of 19 cent drip gas fortified with 2 handsfull of mothballs for your wore out Chevy , Pint of whiskey , and $5 in your pocket would set you up for a very memorable night crusing the main drag of
    the big home town . (Never hurt to have a pack of Trojans in your pocket , neither .)
    My fingers are getting tired and I'm getting maudlin .
    Wolfpack forever

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsors