Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do Y'all Remember.....

Clothes:
Converse 'All Stars', "Chuck Taylor", everything else were skips :tongue3:
Frye boots
Elephant bells

Hair: short hair, longer hair, very long hair... to.. I have hair longer than most women :laughing7:

Candy: pixy sticks, sugar daddy, black cows, sen-sens, violets, dots, etc.....

Cigarettes $0.25/pack :thumbsup:

Movies: double features all the time :tongue3:

General entertainment: You made your own fun

Toys: GI Joe, with the kung-fu grip :tongue3: Guillow's balsa wood gliders, kites

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

2nd grade , 1957 . Got off the school bus and came walking up the red dog road the half mile to the house . School shoes tied by the laces and draped around my neck , school coat bundled under my arm .
Barefootin like a lot of the kids I went to school with until Daddy saw me .
Knew I'd messed up somehow when I saw him reach for the buckle on his belt :(
While he was strappin my legs he 'splained to me how hard he worked to keep shoes on my feet and a coat on my back so I wouldn't be like those 'coal camp' kids . Never realized until then that they didn't go barefoot and coatless by choice and Daddy tried to provide better for me .
Only time you find me barefoot from then on is in the house or at the edge of the swimmin hole .

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

How many remember the duck and cover drills during cold war. I could nail my brother at 30 yards with a rock, building tree houses that woul scare the crap out anybody today and making club houses out of old bricks full of black widow spiders and catching scorpins with a cloth pin.Ridding in back of my dads PU truck standing up, or ridding on the running board.Drive inns were a $1.00 a car load, standing out at the front of the drive inn hitch hiking your way in.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Putting kids in the trunk so you could all get into the drive-in cheaper.
25 yards to the outhouse. Bring back firewood.
Playing cards clothespinned to front tires of bike to make motorcycle sound.
Match shooters made from clothespins.
Cap guns. (Still have mine).
Decals of hot rods.
Crank telephones, ours was 3 rings.
Kerosene lamps for lights, wood stove for cooking.
Driving a car when I was 12.
Having a beer in my lap when pulled over by cop and reminded to renew my tags.
Racing a cop for fun and letting him win. (I knew most of them).
Finding out how handy a back seat can be.

Grey

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Many great posts from my Friends.

I will always fondly remember my Mom's guidance and learning oportunities. Some included rewards such as ice cream from the Dairy Queen. Most, however resulted in "Dancing with my Dad's belt."

All of my learning experiences have guided me to my present knowledge and appreciation of how kids are.

Glad I'm still a "kid" and learning....how 'bout you? :laughing7:

My Best Wishes,
Scott

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Watching cartoons on Saturday morning from 7am to 10am on a black and white TV. Bugs Bunny, Space Ghost, Spiderman, Jonny Quest, Mighty Mouse, George of the Jungle, Super Chicken,
Superman, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, The Flintstones, Mister Magoo, Yogi Bear, Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Jetsons, Beany & Cecil, Magilla Gorila, Underdog, Milton the Monster, Fantasic Four, And Scooby Doo!
Just to name a few! :icon_thumleft:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Cool Hand Fluke said:
Watching cartoons on Saturday morning from 7am to 10am on a black and white TV. Bugs Bunny, Space Ghost, Spiderman, Jonny Quest, Mighty Mouse, George of the Jungle, Super Chicken,
Superman, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, The Flintstones, Mister Magoo, Yogi Bear, Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Jetsons, Beany & Cecil, Magilla Gorila, Underdog, Milton the Monster, Fantasic Four, And Scooby Doo!
Too much tv time :angry5: After 6;30 to 8 AM of Tarzan and Jungle Jim we were out in the 'wilds' developing new ways to bring harm to ourselves and terrize innocent critters .
PS ,
If ya ever live trap a buzzard with a net and want to take it home in a burlap sack : stick the head in the sack and leave the azz sticking out .

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cool Hand Fluke said:
You had television? :notworthy:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snakeyes said:
Cool Hand Fluke said:
You had television? :notworthy:

sounds like me the shows i seen when growning up was at the hosp to see grandpa ,,,,,,,,,cancer yuk

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember when matches were called "Lucifers" and were taxed.
I remember wind-up record players.
I remember wind-up telephones.
I remember when Feline Peachy was here. :crybaby2:

Best,
Scott

Oh, and I remember when THIS was considered as entertainment...

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember visiting my aunt in Tennessee who lived on a farm and shared a 'party line' telephone. I would pick up the phone and listen to all the gossip ;D and being a kid would interrupt and say stupid things. Eventually got in trouble for that. :-[

When we went into town I would check the base of all the parking meters that were in the grass strips for shiny silver dimes! :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Being a preteen in the 60's and getting your hands on a nudie mag. :laughing7: Those things were scarce back then, it was like finding a needle in a haystack :tongue3:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My very first memory is of bein in the cotton field when I was two. We were very poor in Oklahoma but didn't really know it. We always worked and most of my memories are of that. My family was from eastern Oklahoma and they would always travel out to western Oklahoma to work in the cotton fields. As soon as I was big enough, they made me a cotton sack out of a gunny sack and I pulled bolls. Made enough money to pay for my school clothes in first grade. I went to a four foot sack, then an eight foot sack, but never made it to the ten or twelve foot sack. I remember choppin cotton, too, and it would be over a hundred degrees in the shade. I hated bein a hoer more than anything, and I remember the last row I hoed. I took that short hoe I had and broke that damn thing into pieces. I remember gas wars, and seein gas for 5 cents a gallon during one in Seminole, OK. Shasta pop 12 for a dollar. S&H green stamps. When they wouldn't let black folks and Indians eat with white people in the cafe. When if you had a problem with a Zebco reel, you mailed it back to Tulsa and they just sent you a brand new one. Ridin our bikes out on the road and pickin up pop bottles, which at the end got up to 10 cents a bottle. I remember all the fishin and campin we done. Best of all, I had some treasure hunters in the family, and I remember ALL the treasure tales they told me, although little good has come from that. And I might add, I remember when all of us young guys had a 'church key'. Figure that out.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Only lowlife 'welfare kids' used their church key to rob an honest business man . Rest of us used them for protection in a fistfight and to open the illegal beer that we paid for .

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

real cartoons on tv like Tom&Jerry, Popeye and Jusice League of America.
Finding silver and wheats in your change on a regular basis.
Newberrys five and dime and buying Hotwheels for .25 and sportscards for .15.
Going to the drive in movies. (we still have one in Winchester, Ky)
My parents dancing to a George Jones song. They are both dead and miss them dearly.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When I was about 10 years old in the 1960's I was down in the creek with my brother looking for empty coke bottles. We hit the jackpot! We found three wooden crates stacked up on each other hidden in the bushes. Each crate had about 24 bottles in them! We endend up with several dollars each after redeeming them at the store! For two kids without any money that was a big day! ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Yup, I remember them all, Scott.

I recall gas at 29.9.

We'd put $4 worth in the 57 Chev and party all night.

I see where somebody has his old BB gun. I still have mine. I won it in a local hardware store drawing back in 1957. Within a week I got into trouble with it and dad took it away for 2 years. :laughing7:

In the mid 60's one could get a factory job for $4-$10 an hour with no skills or experience. It just came down to how hard one wanted to work. Jobs were everywhere and a new American made car was like $3,000. Very nice smaller starter houses were $8,000 to $12,000 with only 10% down.

Today young people are lucky to find a full time job with some decent benefits. I know of people with teaching degrees who can only get part time work at $8 an hour. They work at a local paint store.

Things sure have changed.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Good post MB.
In those days during and after WWII people were devoted to a cause.
Everyone here in America wanted to help Americans.
We were one people, Americans.
Most had come from other countries but we were united in being Americans.

Everyone tried their best to do what they could.
To help this country.
Because we felt we were ONE Nation, under God.

Now jobs go offshore because it's cheaper.
With slave labor.

'Nuff said.

Grey

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

greydigger said:
Good post MB.
In those days during and after WWII people were devoted to a cause.
Everyone here in America wanted to help Americans.
We were one people, Americans.
Most had come from other countries but we were united in being Americans.

Everyone tried their best to do what they could.
To help this country.
Because we felt we were ONE Nation, under God.

Now jobs go offshore because it's cheaper.
With slave labor.

'Nuff said.

Grey

Good post!

People are working day and night to alter what the Founding Fathers said and wrote. There was a time when their good points were emphasized and their weaknesses overlooked. Today the opposite is all the rage.

Today people have been led to believe our founders were godless hypocrites. Some were brave and brilliant but even they were greedy with corrupt motives to some degree. That's what young people are being taught today.

Our founders understood that without morality a nation will die. When people live only for themselves and their lusts they are doomed to extinction.

Our enemies (you name it) have been working hard for decades to corrupt us morally because they know it's the only way to bring us down. Our "music," video games, "education," and all media has been designed to program us all to follow the Pied Piper of doom. Rebellion, cheating, unfaithfulness, self-indulgence, you name it.

What we see in America today is exactly what destroyed countless civilizations before us. They didn't listen and neither will Americans. History repeats itself.

I mostly just joke around on the forums because I don't think there is any hope for this country (the country our Founding Fathers built). One might as well get a few laughs while one can.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember...
School:

Saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning with my hand over my heart.
Paddlings (Was no angel :dontknow:)
Tornado, fire and end of the world drills. ("Duck and Cover!")

I had my own chair outside of the Principal's Office... :tongue3:
I never got suspended but could be frequently found in "Detention Hall." :laughing7:

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions