Do Yall Remember.....

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do Y'all Remember.....

Rootbeer from an A&W stand that would burn your throat if you took too big of a drink? :o
Bread: Ten cents a loaf?
Gas: Thirty five cents a gallon? ::)
Cashin' in pop bottles to get money for the Saturday matinee?
Collecting used lead tire weights from the corner FULL SERVICE gas station on the corner to melt down and make fishing sinkers to sell to the bait shop? :thumbsup:
Playin' "Hide and Seek" after dark?

What do you remember from your childhood, and amusing tales of experiences? :icon_scratch:

As an old man, I ain't gonna yell at the kids to get off of my lawn, I'll go get the croquet set and we can play a round or two! :hello2:

Best Wishes,
Scott

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do Y'all Remember.....

catching tons of fireflies in bottles.....heck I barely see those anymore for some reason

living in a home without AC....whew some nights were very hot :laughing9:
oh, and our car, no AC....whew I love cars with AC

Woolworths Five and Dime...and their great diner counter....had many a grilled cheese there! (I think all are closed now?)

never heard of a drive thru for food!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A can of soda pop for 10 cents
A six inch long Baby Ruth candy bar for 5 cents
All comic books were 10 cents
You could buy the smaller plastic model airplane kits for 50 cents.
My Mom filling her gas tank for 35 cents a gallon.
A pack of baseball cards went for a nickel.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My initial infatuation with stamp and coin collecting, once, when I was thinking that I had a counterfiet nickel when I was young. Turned out to be a silver war nickel. Worth MORE than a nickel!!

Seeing a gentleman in the park with a metal detector when I was about 8 years old and thinkin' "Money for nothing..... count me in!"

Best,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FarmerChick said:
catching tons of fireflies in bottles.....heck I barely see those anymore for some reason

living in a home without AC....whew some nights were very hot :laughing9:
oh, and our car, no AC....whew I love cars with AC

Woolworths Five and Dime...and their great diner counter....had many a grilled cheese there! (I think all are closed now?)

never heard of a drive thru for food!

I have two butterfly nets ready to use to add for rmy collections. Anyone wanna come along to collect some swallowtails? Clouded Sulphers? Skippers?

My Best,
Scott

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Going to the store for my mom to buy cigarettes for her, and candy for me and my little sister for $1.00. ::)
My home phone number in kindergarten started with TA instead of all numbers. :dontknow:
Riding in cars with no seatbelts. :-\
Playing hide and seek in the dark at night with the adults watching from their porches. :laughing7:
Ice cream trucks with drivers wearing uniforms. :o
Get a hot lunch at school for $1.50 a week. :o
Our "cell" phones was a string tied between 2 cans! :laughing9:
Woolworths, that was a treat, that and going to A&W, went twice and got my own mug that I didn't have to share with my sister. :hello2:
Sleeping in your backyard with your freinds, and you were safe. :wink:
Playing croquet on a hot summer night, and drinking ice cold lemonade. :headbang:
Saturday matinee, with a small popcorn and pop to share with my little sister. ::)
Riding my pedal car around, it was red! :laughing9:
Watching JP Patches, Sesame street, Boomerang and Mr Rogers. :help:
My first grade teacher was the only teacher to wear go go boots and short dresses in school, all the little boys in my class had problems with their hands, they kept dropping their pencils on the floor so they could look up her dress! :angel9:
it was 7 cents to make a phone call back then. :o
You could get alot of candy with $1.00! :o
Bugs Bunny and freinds were on every saturday for 2 hours!!!! :hello2: :headbang:
Shooting marbles playing tag, hopscotch, 4 square and red rover, oh and soak em (hated that one, as the smallest kid in class, I was always the first one out! :'(
Playing with Barbie and her freinds, did anyone else ever have a talking PJ doll? She was Barbies freind, and was the only one who could talk.
The styles, like whoever thought orange or blue or green shag carpet was cool, had to be smoking some funny stuff! same with big yellow and orange flower walls.....shudder ::)
I was so sheltered, that I didn't know what drugs, sex or rock and roll were all about until 9th grade! :o :o :o (Yes I know!)
8 track players, those darn things ALWAYS stopped in the middle of the best song, in order to switch to new track! :BangHead:
When CrackerJacks ACTUALLY HAD toy surprises in the boxes! :hello2:
I know more, but am tired and can't think anymore! :laughing9: Red

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember going to the full service gas station with my father and him paying 27 cents per gallon of gas [that is a Canuck gallon.... 160 fl ounces).

Mind you, compare the wages between then and now

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creature feature on the tv on saturday nite,having to get someone to go outside and turn the antenna or puttin foil on the rabbit ears or riding bikes to school...playing mumbly peg during recess

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kick the can
The Twilight Zone
Ed Sullivan Show
Johnny Quest
Gitabout Gaddis...the flying fisherman show
American Sportsman
Real summer lake cottages, wooden row boats
Man, I'd better go to bed, suddenly feeling tired and somewhat old-er. :laughing9:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic replies! :thumbsup:

They bring back memories that have not been visited for years!

{Trying to decide which posts to reply to...could reply to all posts!}

Always My Best,
Scott

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

I remember:

Eating cereal while watching The Smurfs.
Standing up in the front seat while my dad drove down the road.
Penny candy
Burple
Bar None candy bars.
Pogo Balls
Those colored beads you could clip to your bike tire spokes.
8 pack 16oz glass bottle pop.
Pinwheel on Nickolodeon.

I was a child of the 80's...even though I wish it was the 60's.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK.
Anyone remember "Fizzies?"

Mmmmmm....

Scott

PS. Oh, and the giant "Pixie Stix" plastic tubes full of powdered, colored and flavored crap that once was finally emptied from the plastic tube resulted in the PERFECT "pea shooter" once you cut off the bottom? {always carry a sharp pocket knife}

I remember many "duck and hide" incidents as a youth in the local theater..... :laughing7:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

AU24K said:
OK.

Mmmmmm....

Scott

What were they exactly?

Were they hard candy that had a fizzy center and they came in a strip?

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thundercats transformers he-man,,zotz candy pinball foosball night gallery kolchak the night stalker wonder woman two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles on a sesame seed bun that used to get ya a free hamburger

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no you are thinkin of zotz,pixie stix came in like a sealed straw and ya could get them in the jumbo size...

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinstriking Michigan said:
AU24K said:
OK.

Mmmmmm....

Scott

What were they exactly?

Were they hard candy that had a fizzy center and they came in a strip?

No.
Fizzies were a tablet that was flavored that you would put in a glass of water and due to it's effervescent properties would "fizz" much like Alka Seltzer rendering a barely palitable drink to be prized over sisters or neighbor kids... :tongue1:

The Root Beer was the best...{or least worse?}

From the 60's...

Scott

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

stomping on coke cans till they stick to your shoes, so you sound like a horse comming down the road. Baseball cards in the spokes of your bicycle, playing marbles in the dirt for keeps.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

After the war, Mounds candy bars came back into production. They were 10 cents, twice the cost of a Hershey bar. God they were good. Saturday movie was 12 cents, soda and popcorn a nickle each. No TV, the operator had a smile in her voice, our phone number was something like 459J. No dial but out in the country they had party lines and you had to turn the crank to ring up the operator. Everyone on the line listened in. I drove a '29 model A Ford coupe in High School. You could get 6 kids into the car if 4 were girls. Sneaky anatomy lessons if'n ya knows what I mean. The car cost me $50, and I was a senior in high school when I joined the Navy in 1955. .22 ammo cost .50 cents, and it was hard to come by that much money. Before high school I had a huge paper route that paid $16 a month, the papers were delivered by me, rain or shine, riding my bicycle. The subscription for the paper was a buck, and I got a dime, so I was delivering 160 papers, but I was a big kid and could do it. By the time I was in High school they made my route into 3 separate ones, but I had already quit. At age 16 I saved my money and purchased -- on my own without parental permission -- a .22 caliber Colt Huntsman pistol for around $40. I don't recollect any flak from my parents over the purchase, and nobody at the gun store got in trouble selling it to me. Then I went to the sheriff of San Luis Obispo county, again on my own, and got a permit to carry it concealed. it came with restrictions, but I still had a CCW in California when I was 16. Try that now. We took shot guns and deer rifles to school so we could go hunting after school. When I was 10, 11, and 12 years old, the NRA had a kids rifle team that had a 50 foot range in the basement of the Ford Garage. On Wednesday nights during the school year one of our parents would car pool and take us to town. It was winter so it was dark when the shooting was over, and we walked home. We all had our own rifles, and three or four armed preteens walked right through town, after dark, and nobody said a word. Don't even recollect getting looked at sideways by anyone. If we wanted to look for "arrow heads," you went to the Ranger in that particular National Forest, and they would tell you the best place to look. Times they are changing.

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reciting rhe "Pledge of Allegiance" at the beginning of each school day.
TG&Y stores.
B&W Television.
Your Grandparents only had an AM radio.
There was only an outhouse at the farm.
The milk man delivered and so did the Ice House.
The only paved roads were in town.
You learned to drive on a tractor.
You hunted crawdads in the creek to use for fishbait in the pond.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread