Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Using ebay's rules to buy mega finds....

We all hate ebay's rules when it comes to selling.

We should love their rules when it comes to buying.

If done right, it's nearly impossible to get ripped off and it's very possible to make a killing.

Suggestion:

Antiquities. We've all heard about all the fakes on ebay. While this is true, there are also loads of the real thing. China has probably made more fakes than any other country. However, fabulous genuine antiquities can also be had from them for peanuts.

Here's a suggest that I myself have used (and will continue to use).

1. Study everything you can get on antiquities.

2. Locate at least one expert on the type of antiquity you want to purchase. People living in larger cities will find this easier but one can also do this via the mail.

3. When buying off ebay, look for sellers with years of doing business in antiquities. Read a lot of their feedback and put their ebay ID into Google and do searches.

4. Buy a small item and have it checked if you're uncertain of it's authenticity. If it's fake, contact the seller and insist of a full refund including your cost of returning the item. If they agree you won't post negative feedback nor report them for fraud.

5. Realize that COAs are worthless pieces of paper. It's only important that an item is what it is. It's either old or new (genuine or copy).

I have bought and resold some very nice antiquities I got off ebay and to date none were fakes.

Most buyers today mistrust antiquities dealers and this is a great thing for us buyers. I usually get my stuff at less than asking price. I make an offer and many accept it.

I just thought someone might find this interesting.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Using ebay's rules to buy mega finds....

I don't know about this, sounds like a lot of work to me :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

I get mine the old fashioned way, either at a yard sale, flea market, estate sale, consignment shop, etc...

Then again, if I know the neighborhood, I'll drop in when no one is home and help myself :tongue3:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

spartacus53 said:
I don't know about this, sounds like a lot of work to me :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

I get mine the old fashioned way, either at a yard sale, flea market, estate sale, consignment shop, etc...

Then again, if I know the neighborhood, I'll drop in when no one is home and help myself :tongue3:

Yes, this is the best way. But my way seemed more romantic somehow. :laughing7:

C

Cappy Z.

Thanks for sharing Michigan Badger, You are a thinker...and people like you are in short supply these days. We are a nation of lemmings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread