Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Effects of $5 a Gallon Gas?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2004
    Kingman AZ
    34 times

Re: The Effects of $5 a Gallon Gas?

As for ME personally. We go to town once a week. (About a 50 mile round trip). We could easily make that every 2 weeks. I also have a mountain bike with a 48cc two cycle motor for little trips here in the country. I will however admit that the high price is only a "concern". My real fear is a limited supply like in the 70's. Sitting in line and then being only allowed a small amount.
    TOM
    KINGMAN LODGE #22 F&AM KINGMAN, ARIZONA
    NRA
    LDMA
    U.S. PARATROOPER

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    225 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper
    As for ME personally. We go to town once a week. (About a 50 mile round trip). We could easily make that every 2 weeks. I also have a mountain bike with a 48cc two cycle motor for little trips here in the country. I will however admit that the high price is only a "concern". My real fear is a limited supply like in the 70's. Sitting in line and then being only allowed a small amount.
    Great answer Paratrooper!

The reason gas keeps rising is because we are wasteful. I see people drive down the street to visit a neighbor, and drive their kids to school when it is just a short walk. I dropped my kid off at music lessons, shut my engine and read, but the guy next to me keeps his car idling for 40 minutes. (I actually said to him that he is the reason I am paying nearly $4 per gallon, not Iran, but he just gave me a blank stare.)

I watch my neighbors go to the supermarket and then later in the day they go to the pharmacy and then they take their kids to the mall after dinner. They are all within a mile of each other and that 12 mile round trip becomes 50 miles of driving per day for them. Times that by the number of wasteful people in the world and it is a lot of waste.

I also see people making the trip to the state capital for government jobs. There is RARELY a car with more than one occupant. It should be mandatory for government 9-5 employees to carpool, or at least have an incentive for employees who carpool or take public transportation. How about a 10 hour workday- a 4 day workweek?, that would reduce 20% of gas consumption for commuters

I recently read that if each person cuts their driving by 10% gas prices would fall below $3 per gallon.

Everyone remembers 9-11, but what people forget is that gas prices in October 2001 were UNDER $1 PER GALLON!!! In some parts of NJ, Full Service Regular was .89! Why? Because everyone in the US was afraid to travel. A simple case of supply and demand.

Cut the demand and you increase the supply. Increase the supply and the prices will fall.

I don't blame Obama, or Algae, or Sunoco or Iran. I blame WASTEFUL AMERICANS!

We don't need more wells. We need to smarten up!

Come people, it is time to stop playing the blame game and DO YOUR PART!

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    137 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I agree with that post. wasteful absolutely. too much use, sure.
    blaming doesn't work....that blame won't 'fix' anything.

drive less
    I can easily do that and have been

gotta get hubby on board. he is one of those with his head in the sand thinking money grows on trees around our home.

he says, new truck, want to hook up the 9800 lb camper and take it UP to Black Mt. to see if it can handle it. Black Mt. is like 1 hr. away. I gave him the 'here is your idiot sign' look. come on, really. waste all that diesel for a dry run trip? really the moron!
    So I had to hit 2 stores anyway so I said take me shopping. So we dragged it to the 2 stores, did shopping, he worked out the new elec. brakes he installed etc. and it pulled fine. ALL good without a monster trip up to the mountains.

ugh, men

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1457 times

REALLY!!!!? The reason is that there is a limited supply is because some abuse the allotment? Oh My, where would I start with the ignorance of this? Wasteful indeed!!! I am fearful of the future! This insanity is actually endorsed by the establishment in this country!

Please think before you express the propaganda you have been fed!

This is definitely the worst kind of political post,, because the lies it propagates are meant to subjugate the uninformed.

Because it is so ignorant it cannot be political? I cannot allow this to stand unanswered!
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2367 times

Personally I believe we are off aubject here. It affects me because even though I can write it off at the end of the year, I still have to spend that much more in the present. My truck took $113 the other day to fill up. It'll need filling up again in a couple days. Were talking close to a grand a month, that's ridiculous. I will add that overconsumption and wastefulness is not the main cause of the price of gasoline being so high. That's a scape goat. The real reason? It's called price manipulation and yes, both big oil and our fair Gov. are involved as well as their turban wearing foreign trade partners. As usual we the people are peons and amount to nothing in the grand scheme of things where billions of dollars are played with like monopoly money on a game board. See, now you got me going too.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2672 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

I can honestly say that I don't drive near as much as I use to, maybe just 3000 - 4000 miles total this last year, so until my situation changes I don't see it having a great effect on me. On the other hand, if I was still doing the 70,000 miles a year I use to do and would like to be doing again, well........lets just say "it ain't gonna happen at $5.00 a gallon." I can think of whole lot of better ways to waste $17'000 a year.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    1457 times

Diggummup Made the point how it affects everyone of us. I write off my cost of fuel as well in my business. Since it is part of business costs I pass it on to my customers. If I didn't I could not afford to be in business. All of your costs for all of your goods will "necessarily skyrocket".

But on the personal side, I drive a lot less, eat out a lot less, shop at any store a lot less. I believe that every time fuel has spiked the economy has taken a dive. People need their money to fuel the car to get to work.

The good old days,, waiting in gas station lines,, if your license plate ended on odd or even #. The station running out of gas before you got there. Sigh, Good times.

It is so avoidable, no willpower from leadership to fix it.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    137 times

no, waste is not the total answer obviously. It is a PART of this problem. there are tons of reasons that oil/gas is such a PITA situation. But you can't deny that this part does not exist. we (meaning the world) is mostly a wasteful, disposable, instant gratification society at this point. yes it does have an impact on prices and use and all that mess.

bigscoop...70,000 miles per year. wow what were you doing?

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    1457 times

Wasteful is purely a political statement. The fact is there is a LOT of oil left, Just no willpower to get it. A small minority of the population has the loudest voice, and has taken control of the government. And as luck would have it,, They have a great propaganda machine. Good enough, in fact, to make people believe that there is waste in fuel usage.

Fuel consumption by you and your friends is down in the good ole USA. That fact simply flies in the face of the waste angle.
    Thomas Paine-

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2672 times

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChick

bigscoop...70,000 miles per year. wow what were you doing?
    I use to do what you've been thinking of doing lately. Traveled a lot, camping, kayaking, fly fishing, "metal detecting & treasure hunting", etc. I am/was single and was making good money with a lot of time off, about 14 - 16 days each month. Then the auto industry tanked, then mom and dad got sick (both 84) and I was/am needed there, and well....it just sort of all came to a rather sudden end.

us
    Oct 2009
    1908 times

Wasteful driving? The fuel consumption is at it's lowest point in many years! There is a surplus of oil and fuel in the system. The current prices are soley the result of market manipulations.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times

FarmerChick, 70,000 miles is light stuff.. When I was working my sales job, my fuel bills were between 250-300/week, all company paid.. Then again, I covered much of the Northeast making calls from NC to Maine.. Ahh, the good old days

Neil in West Jersey, if I cut my driving by 10% right now, I wouldn't be able to go to work.. No lie

Like most said, everything will go up in cost, except your earning power.. That may diminish It's one vicious cycle

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2672 times

We can debate the reasons for higher gas prices until we're blue in the face, but it won't change anything. So, once again, the question that was asked is, "How will $5 a gallon gas effect you personally?" Or, if you want to share, "how has it already effected you?"

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times

I think it's easier to look at the vicious cycle.. That will say it all, so let me explain

Currently I have to break into a least 2 neighbors a week to keep afloat. With the anticipated ever increasing cost of fuel, I will have to up that to 3-4 just to break even... Now on the other side of the coin we have those I have pilfered from.. They now have less goods, more out of pocket cots to replace missing items and a possibility of an additional increase to their home owners insurance. I didn't even bring in the middleman who I have to sell the swag to.. With less people spending, there is no need for him to make my purchases and maintain a high inventory, and offer me even less. This thereby forces me to break and enter every day of the week

Now that is one vicious cycle....

But the same principle will hold true for the normal everyday person

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    994 times
    silver surfing

I have 2 cars, a truck, and a van, not to mention tractors, mowers, snoblowers, etc, etc. Everything I own is paid for, including the house and property. Even $10 gas won't affect me.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors