The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks pretty cool and the tech is probably an extension of the Segway principles. They say "the thrill of the open road"...well, I don't know about that :icon_scratch: ).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...electric-motorbike-creature-comforts-car.html

Born to be mild! The electric motorbike that has all the creature comforts of a car
The C-1 uses a stabilising system that keeps it upright, even at rest
It features air conditioning and multiple airbags
By Ted Thornhill
Last updated at 11:58 AM on 24th February 2012

If you like the thrill of the open road but love the comfort of a luxury car, this unique superbike could be the perfect solution.
The electric motorbike, dubbed the C-1, is a bizarre combination of car and bike and is set to hit our roads late next year.
Created by San Francisco-based automotive company, Lit Motors, the fully-enclosed two-passenger bike uses a gyroscopic stabilising system to stay upright even when it's stationary.

Attachments

• gyro-bike.jpg
    gyro-bike.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,320

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how does it stay upright?

cow tipping could be replaced by Gyro tipping :laughing9:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...He said: ‘No other vehicles on the road use gyros in this manner. There have been previous attempts but nothing like what we're doing.
‘Think of a child's spinning top toy, as long as it spins, it remains upright on its own, with no outside help. Similarly, as long as the gyros are spinning, the C-1 remains upright. ‘Ours is the only bike which stands upright on its own without training wheels.

~~~

A gyroscope flywheel will roll or resist about the output axis depending upon whether the output gimbals are of a free- or fixed- configuration. Examples of some free-output-gimbal devices would be the attitude reference gyroscopes used to sense or measure the pitch, roll and yaw attitude angles in a spacecraft or aircraft.

The centre of gravity of the rotor can be in a fixed position. The rotor simultaneously spins about one axis and is capable of oscillating about the two other axes, and, thus, except for its inherent resistance due to rotor spin, it is free to turn in any direction about the fixed point. Some gyroscopes have mechanical equivalents substituted for one or more of the elements. For example, the spinning rotor may be suspended in a fluid, instead of being pivotally mounted in gimbals. A control moment gyroscope (CMG) is an example of a fixed-output-gimbal device that is used on spacecraft to hold or maintain a desired attitude angle or pointing direction using the gyroscopic resistance force. In some special cases, the outer gimbal (or its equivalent) may be omitted so that the rotor has only two degrees of freedom. In other cases, the centre of gravity of the rotor may be offset from the axis of oscillation, and, thus, the centre of gravity of the rotor and the centre of suspension of the rotor may not coincide (probably would need this principle too if they couldn't install it at the CoG).

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good gravy. just seems like it should not stay up :dontknow:

I don't think I will be buying one any time soon ;D

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most ships have gyros...... We cant have cruise ships having sea sickness!!!!! :hello2:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you :D CMG's are used more than we think already... here are some shots of some of the four CMG's on the space station. The last two are a basic mechanism and an electronic smart phone gyro...some of the nano models use the coriolis force (imagine that!) for movement determination. These types are not CMG's, but rather the sensing type.

Attachments

• cmg1.jpg
    cmg1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 454
  • s118e07030.jpg
    s118e07030.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 442
  • cmgbig.gif
    cmgbig.gif
    252.6 KB · Views: 988
  • phone-gyro.png
    phone-gyro.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,378

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep, that vehicle is rather small.. What do they use for airbags, Glad sandwich bags :dontknow: :tongue3:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol...i guess they think separating the rider from the pavement was a good start.

wont be posting for a while...off to Belize for 10 days of sailing, fishing and snorkeling. sitting on the tarmac now...mexico here i come!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
The Beep Goes On said:
lol...i guess they think separating the rider from the pavement was a good start.

wont be posting for a while...off to Belize for 10 days of sailing, fishing and snorkeling. sitting on the tarmac now...mexico here i come!
:sad1: Cleanin mud and cow 'nure offa me while I read this after a day's work on the farm . :icon_scratch: Howcome I feel like I just woke up and found out someone crapped in my Easter basket :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread