Worst JOB Ever

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I had a swimming pool maintenance business in Las Vegas. One time when called out to do a major cleanup on a pool that had been left sit for years, I found a dead dog in the muck after draining it, and about three feet worth of decomposing sludge. Smelled up the whole neighborhood cleaning that one up!

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
I worked in the rendering building of a large beef packing plant. For those who don't know what the rendering building is for, it is where the blood, leftover bones, and guts come down from the kill floor to be processed. I don't know how many times I was thigh deep in gut/bone mush, shoveling it back into the augers when an auger got stopped up and it all spilled out onto the concrete floor. Boy I smelled nice when I left every day. It always took a couple good hot days worth of sweating to get the smell out of your pores.

bwilly

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worked on a hog farm as a kid. The breeding pigs were mean and could aim their urine well. The would wait until I was cleaning their holding pin and shoot at me. The ammonia smell would gag you. Always had to change clothes right away when I got home. Left boots at the work place and put a tarp on my seats just in case. Three months was enough for me.

Ed D.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Here's one....
Cleaning sanitary sewer lines for a city wastewater treatment plant...summer job while I was in college. More than a few times I was waist deep in you-know-what cleaning off floats (mercury switches) that kick the pumps on. Also saw lots of $1's stuck in the screens (filters before the sewage goes to the oxidation and settling tanks). Even though I was a poor college student, grabbing those $1's wasn't worth it. Some would say "who knows where that's been?" I knew!
Needless to say, like others posting here, nobody would go near me after work.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working in a Chicken Factory, hanging chickens on a Moving Line,
right next to the Live pen where they were Slaughtering them.

The stench was Beyond Bad.

Plus 8 hours of Lifting Chickens over my head at full speed,
one after another, made it hard to move my arms after a nights rest.

I Lasted 1 Day ;D

The boss tried to talk me back. he told me the smell made him Hungry.
I didn't eat chicken for at least 5 Years After.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
jeff of pa said:
Working in a Chicken Factory,

A man reportedly called a Ft. Smith, Arkansas poultry processing plant and asked to speak to his wife.

"Department, please," said the switchboard operator.

"Come again?"

"What department does your wife work in?"

"I dunno... but she runs one of them gut-suckers!"

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Me and Harry cleaned up a house that was used for a "flop" house once.THAT PLACE WAS N..A..S..T..Y !!!!!!!!!!!!! Piss in cups and stuff like that. We wore gloves & mask and long sleeves to that place.Oddly enough it wasn't in a very bad neighborhood either.We got paid good thats the only reason we went ahead and did it.

OP
OP
Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have done some sick jobs................... :D

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Loaded Turkeys on to the truck, for transport to the end of the line. The first set of cages weren't so bad. After that it was all down hill, as when I lifted the scared Turkeys up to put in the cage I pretty sure each and everyone of them left a deposit on me somewhere. The higher the cage the worst it got. That was when I was a teenager, seems like a bizzilion years ago. I didn't eat turkey for a long time, very long time.
Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
backitup83 said:
Loaded Turkeys on to the truck, for transport to the end of the line. The first set of cages weren't so bad. After that it was all down hill, as when I lifted the scared Turkeys up to put in the cage I pretty sure each and everyone of them left a deposit on me somewhere. The higher the cage the worst it got. That was when I was a teenager, seems like a bizzilion years ago. I didn't eat turkey for a long time, very long time.
Mike

Just like Chickens ;D
I can just Imagine the Middle of summer,
Inside without Air Condition :P

And you can't wash the Smell away, It's gotta Wear off :(

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Yup...it was summer, out side, in Texas, and we had to load them at night as it was to hot to do during the day. The dust was as bad as everthing else. Don't worry Jeff, I didn't eat Chicken for a long time either after that job. I don't know though my job was still not as bad as the Hog job.
Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worked on a farm as a hired hand for 1 1/2 years
at one point i was in charge of like 500 animals by myself for the most part(accept when dealing with the horses or ponies)
worst part of the job was holding a baby animal (goat sheep,etc)
when you try so hard to keep it alive and having it die :-\
thats what i hated the most
the crap and other stuff you got past
side note shooting rats and other "pest "animals with a 12 gauge was a perk ;D
4th of july was a BLAST :D

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
My Grandfather had 450 head of cattle and 1800 hogs, so working on the farm as a kid toughened me up a bit for nasty jobs later in life.

I've fixed up many distressed properties and we find the usual stuff, human fesces,armies of insects, dead animals, dead crackheads etcetera, that is common place. The worst by far was a house that a lady had died and was left for God knows how long added on top of the usual stuff. She had decomposed so far that the she had basicly liquified and seeped through the floor. I came in after the Bio-hazard team had "cleaned up" to start renovating, two of my guys threw up right then and I was choking it back. Needless to say it was not an easy job on the tear out, and eliminating the lingering smells and other things was not easy. I was glad to finish that one and now know to charge more if there's a next time.

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
mrs.oroblanco said:
I worked in the Waste and Water treatment plant for Procter & Gamble. It was nasty for the first few weeks, but after awhile, I couldn't smell or taste anything. The SO2 was the worst smell, but even that I couldn't smell after awhile. (of course, everyone around me could).

But, the worse job I ever had was in a recycling plant for Waste Management, separating aluminum, paper, plastic, cardboard and other metals. That wouldn't have been too bad, except, even though people were supposed to separate their garbage, Waste Management actually takes ALL the garbage bags, dumps them on a conveyor belt, they all break open, and what you are left with is everything from dirty diapers, rats, the dumpings of cat litter boxes and, the worst - is those broken red bags that come from the hospitals complete with hypodermic needles, vials (broken at times) of blood, and all the other wonderful things that are in hospital waste.
I was on the other end- I drove a truck for Waste Management. People will throw away ANYTHING!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My worst job ever was when I worked at AP Parts manufacturing in Grand Haven, Michigan. This was in my early days before college, etc. The whole plant complex is a shopping area today.

I didn't mind the work and the bosses were fine...but some of the union guys who worked there belonged in big jars of formaldehyde.

I still have nasty horrifying nightmares that I'm back there. Hated that place with a passion.

Badger

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Ever wonder where all that stuff from suction lines goes?
You know when you go to the dentist and he puts that sucking hose in your mouth?
Or during an operation when the doctor says I need a little suction here?.
Well back when minium wage was $1.35 an hour I had the job of cleaning, repairing, maintaining those systems. Let me tell you I'd rather load turkeys, hang chickens or wipe my nose with dollars from a sewage treatment filter before I'd ever do that job again!.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread