The Economy - Poll

What's you take on the economy?

• Getting A little Better Each Day!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holding it's own with promise.

• Could still go either way?

• Started down the slippery slope but will eventually level off into reality.

• This wreck is heading for a full CRASH!

• There's a problem with the economy?

• Total voters

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
godisnum1 said:
Here ya go... I think this is a fitting example of what I meant,

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...sirota-the-economic-normalcy-bias-ar-1648823/

DENVER --
In 1977, two Boeing 747s collided on an airstrip in the Canary Islands. According to accident investigators, those who survived the initial blast in one plane had time to escape before a fire consumed the wreckage. But eyewitnesses reported that many remained in their seat looking perfectly content — as if nothing were wrong.

Not surprisingly, dozens of these dazed victims were burned to death, and the episode became a reminder of the so-called normalcy bias — a cognitive phenomenon whereby many who are faced with imminent disaster instantly convince themselves that everything is normal and that they don't have to modify their behavior.

No offense or anything, but I don't think your definition really fits the term I used.
Maybe your understanding of it differs a bit... *shrugs*

Bran <><
Frog in the pot of water on the stove and you keep raising the heat . Right , Bran ?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
godisnum1 said:
Here ya go... I think this is a fitting example of what I meant,

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...sirota-the-economic-normalcy-bias-ar-1648823/

DENVER --
In 1977, two Boeing 747s collided on an airstrip in the Canary Islands. According to accident investigators, those who survived the initial blast in one plane had time to escape before a fire consumed the wreckage. But eyewitnesses reported that many remained in their seat looking perfectly content — as if nothing were wrong.

Not surprisingly, dozens of these dazed victims were burned to death, and the episode became a reminder of the so-called normalcy bias — a cognitive phenomenon whereby many who are faced with imminent disaster instantly convince themselves that everything is normal and that they don't have to modify their behavior.

No offense or anything, but I don't think your definition really fits the term I used.
Maybe your understanding of it differs a bit... *shrugs*

Bran <><
Frog in the pot of water on the stove and you keep raising the heat . Right , Bran ?

It's no longer a slow boil... they'll figure it out eventually, likely when it's too late.
TW opened my eyes with perfect timing. Watchmen on the Wall.

Bran <><

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: How does a post on the economy end up quickly converting people into metaphors about frogs in boiling water, which always leads to one about herded cattle, which eventually leads to sheeple, etc. Happens every time. :laughing9: Why not just use "some people"? What's up with all the farm animals and critters? :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
bigscoop said:
:laughing9: How does a post on the economy end up quickly converting people into metaphors about frogs in boiling water, which always leads to one about herded cattle, which eventually leads to sheeple, etc. Happens every time. :laughing9: Why not just use "some people"? What's up with all the farm animals and critters? :icon_scratch: :laughing9:
'Scuse me . Had no intention of diverting the thread . Just tried to find a simpler metaphor to 'splain .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
bigscoop said:
'Scuse me . Had no intention of diverting the thread . Just tried to find a simpler metaphor to 'splain .
Well since gas is now $3.85 a gallon here, And my bomb gets 15 mpg. That estimates to about 25 cents a mile to drive it.. Would it not be cheaper to drive my bomb with the horses, or Cow's, Or sheep pulling it down the highway.. :laughing9:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
truckinbutch said:
bigscoop said:
Well since gas is now $3.85 a gallon here, And my bomb gets 15 mpg. That estimates to about 25 cents a mile to drive it.. Would it not be cheaper to drive my bomb with the horses, or Cow's, Or sheep pulling it down the highway.. :laughing9:

That is a dumb question.... the cows pull, the sheeple push...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
bigscoop said:

I was just fun'n butch.....:laughing9:.....all in good fun. :thumbsup: Besides, poorhunter has arrived to clear it all up. Now we just need Spart. :laughing9:

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see things tightening up and the disposeable income shriviling up.

I work in direct sales at large public events. The people are in attendance but not spending near what they were 3 years ago. Maybe get something to drink an a bit to eat.

We need to see the manufacturing base return to America, but what incentive do they have?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xiao en said:

I work in direct sales at large public events. The people are in attendance but not spending near what they were 3 years ago. Maybe get something to drink an a bit to eat.

We need to see the manufacturing base return to America, but what incentive do they have?

I see the same thing.......hear the same thing from other vendors........"frill spending" is WAY down.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Xiao en said:

I see the same thing.......hear the same thing from other vendors........"frill spending" is WAY down.
My family and I went to a movie for Valentines day.. Wife asks do we want popcorn, Drinks? No, by the time yuh buy tickets, drinks, snacks. $100.. I would just assume rent a movie for $1 in the redbox, Then Newk the popcorn in the microwave..

$7-8 for a draft beer at an event.. I can go to the store and pretty much get a 12 pack for that, And watch it on tv live..

I have a buddy who works the WVU basketball games.. He sells frozen lemonade.. They charge $3.50 a shot.. He makes .40 cents a cup.. Now he used to sell 3-400 all before halftime.. Now he is down to 150-200..

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frill spending. I like that term. I also see it around our area. people are holding onto their money to spend it on silly things like gas to get to work, property taxes, mortgages, med expenses and food. crazy people :laughing9:

it is only going to get rougher out there. it is not going to head in an upswing for many many years. I am so glad I am a 'prepper type'. not a die hard by any means, but truly I do extreme couponing type shopping, never pay retail and save so much money. and if I didn't, yikes.

I grocery shop, use coupons/sales etc., spend $120, pay only about $40 and with the difference I buy myself a water filteration system. I save in every place I can to spend on some prep equipment.

I asked hubby how much ammo he has. he has been shooting alot lately. he is getting low. I told him over the next few months to buy up ammo and restock a good supply. hey, ya gotta protect your own if needed. We won't be caught short if ever needed.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People restricting their spending just adds to the poor economy. Of course when times are tough and you are scraping by paycheck to paycheck, the last thing you do is go buy a $5000 dollar TV, or commit to a new car purchase.

But by not spending the money isn't flowing, budget cuts at home, means reduced profit for corporate, which means budget cuts at corporate, which means more people out of jobs, and scraping bottom, ahh, an endless cycle....

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xiao en said:

We can get some of the major manufactures back if we could just lower the business tax. American companies are burdened with the highest taxes in the world. I believe it's about 28%. How about lowering it to 5% or less! This would attract some of the foreign and former american companies to come back.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, bad economy or not, I'm still trying to keep up with the Jones'

Last week they bought food, so maybe next week I will... Yea, that's my frill for ya :laughing9:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saved all my receipts for the month of Feb. Will get a print out from the bank on the 1st. Need to see where I am waisting money. So far all I know that I spent money on that was not needed was Nyquill.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
With the NAFTA rules, there is no tax on incoming goods from other countries we have the agreement with. No tarriffs mean we are now equal, as far as shipping and taxing is concerned. We are at a disadvantage because of the lower salaries of the foreign workers. Some of the countries we buy from still charge us a tarriff, whether we charge them one or not. Some countries even have such stiff tarriffs to make US goods so expensive that their populations will not even look at them. The biggest export to foreign countries right now is oil, and fast food restaurants. As long as we keep buying foreign disposable junk from the big box stores, the less jobs we will have and the more they will import. Our throwaway society causes us to want to buy the cheapest product we can, then dispose of it, whereas in the past when something was bought, it was expected to last a lifetime under normal use. Good Luck. rockhound

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Hand Fluke said:
Xiao en said:

We can get some of the major manufactures back if we could just lower the business tax. American companies are burdened with the highest taxes in the world. I believe it's about 28%. How about lowering it to 5% or less! This would attract some of the foreign and former american companies to come back.

Really? Corporation need tax breaks? Give them a break and who do you think gets to cover the difference? http://americawhatwentwrong.org/stories/who-pays-taxes/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread