The Economy - Poll

What's you take on the economy?

• Getting A little Better Each Day!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holding it's own with promise.

• Could still go either way?

• Started down the slippery slope but will eventually level off into reality.

• This wreck is heading for a full CRASH!

• There's a problem with the economy?

• Total voters

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take a serious look at the national (and personal) debt all around yourself... then go pick up a book on economics and a few historical books on the Great Depression ("Recession" lol, yeah, ok) and then see if your answer changes from the poll above. You might also Google the term "Normalcy Bias" to see if there is something preventing you from seeing the obvious. :wink:

Bran <><

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
Just take a serious look at the national (and personal) debt all around yourself... then go pick up a book on economics and a few historical books on the Great Depression ("Recession" lol, yeah, ok) and then see if your answer changes from the poll above. You might also Google the term "Normalcy Bias" to see if there is something preventing you from seeing the obvious. :wink:

Bran <><

"Normalcy bias"......careful there, a little knowledge can be dangerous. :laughing9: "Normalcy bias"......is actually the result of "any social condition or constant" which could cause the subject to accept any belief or individual pattern as being normal. Hence, "Normalcy bias". Therefore this same, broadly used term, "Normalcy Bias".......could easily be applied to say, someone who is unknowingly suffering from many other conditions, such as, "paranoia". Just saying............you might want to cast this stone with a bit more caution. :thumbsup:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
"Normalcy bias"......careful there, a little knowledge can be dangerous. :laughing9: "Normalcy bias"......is actually the result of "any social condition or constant" which could cause the subject to accept any belief or individual pattern as being normal. Hence, "Normalcy bias". Therefore this same, broadly used term, "Normalcy Bias".......could easily be applied to say, someone who is unknowingly suffering from many other conditions, such as, "paranoia". Just saying............you might want to cast this stone with a bit more caution. :thumbsup:

That's not at all what I was referring to. I was actually speaking about that subject in light of Emergency Preparedness & Disaster Relief, per the college course I took last year on the matter. The "conditions" your speaking of is often subject to the clinical analysis of doctors who prescribe medicines that have been proven to cause those exact same symptoms you're talking about. What were you sourcing for your definition, just out of curiosity? I'm not casting any stones, though I understand that the reality of circumstances is often overlooked in favor of optimism, which happens quite a bit in the area of Disaster Relief....

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ya go... I think this is a fitting example of what I meant,

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...sirota-the-economic-normalcy-bias-ar-1648823/

DENVER --
In 1977, two Boeing 747s collided on an airstrip in the Canary Islands. According to accident investigators, those who survived the initial blast in one plane had time to escape before a fire consumed the wreckage. But eyewitnesses reported that many remained in their seat looking perfectly content — as if nothing were wrong.

Not surprisingly, dozens of these dazed victims were burned to death, and the episode became a reminder of the so-called normalcy bias — a cognitive phenomenon whereby many who are faced with imminent disaster instantly convince themselves that everything is normal and that they don't have to modify their behavior.

No offense or anything, but I don't think your definition really fits the term I used.
Maybe your understanding of it differs a bit... *shrugs*

Bran <><

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-read your original post on the subject. It appeared you were suggesting that anyone who thinks the economy isn't in the toilet, or at least that it's heading for the toilet, is likely suffering from, "Normalcy Bias". :laughing9: My reply was simply in pointing out that the opposite can also be true, which I'm sure you will agree since you clearly understand the broad scope and application of the term. Glad we cleared that up. :thumbsup:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best investment to be made right now would be a Rosetta Stone course on Chinese.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just added a sixth voting option. Hey,....anything is possible. :laughing9:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually politics (as most people think of it) has little to do with our coming disaster.

When the masses think of politics they think mostly of the top level elected officials.

If the economy is getting worse it's this or that SOB's fault. I have discovered that our elected officials are only mirrors of ourselves.

Bottom line, our economy is on the steep hill down due in major part to apathy. There is this great lacking of enthusiasm today and active motivation to be creative. I know so many people young and old who are like dead fish floating downstream. They don't know where they're headed and many don't even care. They don't care because they've never been in danger of starvation nor have they ever had to go without basic needs for any significant period of time. Mom and dad, grandpa and grandma, welfare, etc., have always bailed them out.

About the only things the average American is getting better at today is cussing and drinking. Almost everywhere one goes today there's no shortage of the clever use of profanity. While this may be entertaining, it doesn't as a rule create jobs or pay bills.

A new person in the White House and all of that media propaganda isn't the root answer. America itself is sick and we need healing. Historically, this country only turns for the better when under great distress. The bombing of Pearl Harbor revolutionized this country overnight. Occasionally I still meet people who actually lived through the Great Depression or the period shortly thereafter. I'll say that most of them are the wisest and highest quality people in our country. And by-the-way, most of them hate what's happening these days.

We can yack all day about this or that but the bottom line is America needs a very dramatic wake up call. However, I fear that for any wake up call to be successful, it would have to be on a scale equal to (or worse than) that of WWII or the Depression. Anything short of those two events would probably be short lived (like the short patriotic movement and seriousness we saw at the beginning of the Gulf War and for maybe 1 week after 9 11).

We need a very big shake-up in this country or we'll eventually lose everything thousands of brave men and women died for.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think one of these days they will bring back the jobs from offshore. Americans will soon remember what it is like to work in the factories for Min wage. Asia will send thier jobs here because Americans will work very cheap. The sticker on the bottom of the toy will read Made in America. The American Dollar will be.....wait there is no more American dollar.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can sort of see what Badger is talking about, and I do agree it will take something bad to bring something good back to us.

And it isn't just politics that have hurt the economy <but it hasn't helped either>, but I will say business ethics, and greed is a large part of the problem.
A company can make a 40% profit on their product in america, and when they find out that they can cut cost and make 70% profit by outsourcing the labor to another country, they jump on that ship in a heart beat, do they care they just cost a lot of their neighbors a job, or by cutting those local jobs they put several families on the street? Nope, you tell them that and what they hear is, we can save more money by cutting customer support, and transferring calls to yet another country?
now more people out of jobs, and those ones all go on welfare to survive, and thanks to the millions of welfare abusers over the years that system is under a major strain.
You tell this to that company, and they so? What people aren't buying my products? just because I fired them all and gave foreigners their jobs? Oh well we will lower the cost then.
So now all of those jobs are over seas, we are still buying the reduced priced product, and the company is down to making a 30% profit on the item.

Yea!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, I sort of compare what is happening to the economy in this country to what happened to Japan several years ago. I don't think it will ever fully recover, especially in middle America, but I do think the continued decline will eventually start to level off in a few more years, it's just that most of us are not going to be all that happy about where this new global economy dictates this country's settling point. :dontknow:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Just last week it was announced that for the first time in our nations history, we have achieved a 50/50 ratio. 50% of the people working can't support the government and 50% recieving government assistance. After the surplus has been exhausted,(and it may already have been), then the only other option is to cut assistance to those who are getting it. The very people who worked years building up this surplus could be some of the ones getting cut out of it. The retired and older disabled people depending on these benefits may see a drastic reduction in them. When that happens, you will see many people take to the streets. The younger generation will not stand for their benefits being cut. Riots will become the norm, not the exception. This is when America will wake up, but by then it may be too late. If we don't change the way we headed, we may have a catastrophic economy collapse. It all comes down to money, and when money is at stake, we will all be thrown under the bus by those who have the money and want more.
Corporations only care about the botom line, profit. So do banks and all other financial instutions. The population will be sacrificed to increase wealth. It is now come to the point that war is about the only profitable things governments can do to secure large funds. It inflates their economy and reduces their numbers. A win-win in countries with over poulation and disease. Hopefully things will turn around, but in case they don't, hold on, it is going to be a rough ride. Good Luck. rockhound

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
I don't know, I sort of compare what is happening to the economy in this country to what happened to Japan several years ago. I don't think it will ever fully recover, especially in middle America, but I do think the continued decline will eventually start to level off in a few more years, it's just that most of us are not going to be all that happy about where this new global economy dictates this country's settling point. :dontknow:

The problem is that most of the nation states that are members of the global economy are third world nations with slave labor wages. Could it be by design and planing that the US standard of living must fall
so that we may be merged into the global economy and the future one world government?

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Things are so bad around here my wife had to go back to work :headbang: If they get any worse I might have to get a job too :whip2:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
spartacus53 said:
Things are so bad, I have to look up, to look down :laughing9:
The local rabbi here spread the word about Kroger having a sale on pork loins and the Baptists
are starting to drink in front of each other ....................
Plumb scares me .

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snakeyes said:
Things are so bad around here my wife had to go back to work :headbang: If they get any worse I might have to get a job too :whip2:

Just tell her to find a better job. What is this word coming to when a man has to abandon his front porch and go back to work, they probably expect us to be sober too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread