preppers

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I don't know if any of you have been watching the TV show "the preppers" or not, or if you have even considered or are considering storing some items for a short term or even a long term survival scenario. I am not talking doomsday scenario here, just some provisions to last out a hurricane, tornado, flood or blackout. Just yesterday a tornado touched down in my area, it was the same on that wreaked havoc and killed several acroos the midwest. As early in the season as this storm arrived tells me that we may be in store for a huge amount of tornados and hurricanes this season. Most people know to keep flashlghts, batteries, candles lamps and oil, some food and water for these emergencies, but what if it was a lengthy involvement and not just an inconvienence. Or worst case scenario, if you were hit directly, do you have a place to go? One thing that I would highly recommend that the preppers all have in common is a bug out bag. A portable backpack with provisions to get you out of harms way. With enough food and water for your family to survive 72 hours. MRE's and freeze dried foods are light and portable. A water purifier or purification tablets would lessen your weight if you had access to a water source. Now we will talk about long term prepping, which is more involved and requires more planning. Here is just one way you can make practical use of any grain for a food source.Hooking up a grinder to a stationary bicycle. Removing the rear wheel from a bicycle and mounting a grinder with a pulley to it with a 1/2 inch belt. Buying bulk grain at a co-op is much cheaper than buying it already processed. All those who are prepping could post ideas for those who are considering it. Anything that will save people money will be a valuable idea for those who want to do it. Good Luck. rockhound

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been following those shows; I record all of them so I don't miss any tip that might be used by myself. First off I have to say that the people "starring" on that show are giving themselves away. If you live near them or do a tiny bit of research you'll know that they will be easy to find if you're looking for them. "Bug-out" may be the catchphrase of the day but, you may plan on going and "hiding" somewhere but you don't know how many other people are going to "bug-out" to the same place. All of our eggs are in the "bug-in" basket. There are 3 of us within an arrow shot of each other that will bug-in where we are separately or gather at one of our locations to bug-in together; whatever is required. There are many sites about "prepping" and quite a few threads on this site that discuss it and the ideas and tips are endless. Discussions always arise concerning firearms, canned foods, water, seeds and gardens etc., etc. The one thing I was impressed with on that show was the lady that preserves fresh eggs in a cool place without refrigeration by coating the eggs with mineral oil. Supposedly the eggs can last up to 8-10 months. I'll be doing some research to make sure of the procedure but, if it works as stated, it's a good tip to offer up here.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The one thing that concerns me is that in a long term situation, no one has planned for any type of medical emergency. Most of them don't know what kind of home remedies to use or how to find herbs, if they need them, or how to use them. Most don't know what edible plants there are in their geographical location. I feel like most of these people really just wanted to get on TV, and never thought about letting the world know of their locations. Most are really not all that prepared. They need to know how to make and administer medicines for specific types of ailments. Bug out is only in case you would have to move to a safer location. As long as your home and family are not threatened, you would not need to evacuate. Many people are building or buying bunkers as a safe haven, just as they did during and after WWII. Some are buying cargo or shipping containers and using as bunkers. Anything that will get them below the ground and out of sight. The only problem I can see with underground bunkers is the lack of water. They will have to come out and get water, probably at night. If so then night vision goggles would be a must have item, as well as gas masks. If someone found out where your bunker was they could smoke you out or worse, without a gas mask. Hopefully things will not get to the point where we have to live like that. Good Luck. rockhound

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I think some of the preppers are gearing up for things that aren't going to happen. My wife and I have always kept a 30 day supply of food, and a lot of bottled water on hand. We also keep battery operated fans, and several flashlights ready, even a hand crank radio.
We don't do this for doomsday, we do it in case of unexpected unemployment. We live in the country, and water lined and power lined could break at any time.
W had a chemical plant on fire a few years ago, and half of the county was evacuated. We knew where everything was, and it took less than 5 minutes to load and go.
Everyone should have a go bag with water, medicine, energy bars, and cash, just in case you have to leave for any reason.

Bill

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yes, it doesn't cost much to put together a to go bag, with some supplies. Especially in areas where electricity are reguarly comprimised like the west and southwest, where tornados are always a threat or along the coasts, where hurricanes are always a threat, it would definitely be wise to have some supplies on hand and also a place to go, if need be. I later years even places that weren't know as tornado sections of the country have become prone to tornado attacks. It could cause many more people to build a bunker or basement for a retreat in case of bad weather, and stock it with supplies. It seems that each year they come earlier and are more devastating the the previous year. All kinds of disasters seem to be on the rise. Hopefully most people will stock at least some supplies and be moderately prepared. You simply can't prepare for every scenario but with a few well laid plans and provisions, you will be far better off than those who do nothing. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I know many people throw away the small packs of condiments from fast food restaurants, but these can be stored for long term use. A bag can be used to save these and easily stored in a backpack or shelter for later use. Also the drinks like tea, lemonade and other flavors that come in single grab and go packs are good to have in your to go(bug out) pack. Instant teas, kool Aids and coffee can last almost indefinitely if not opened. Jello jelatin and pudding mixes are also good for long term storage. You would also need some instant dried milk and dried eggs to really make it good. You can put together a whole meal in resealable freezer bags. I am using cola bottles to store a whole meal in. I can put rice and cinnamon, raisins, and dried milk in one bottle. All I need to do is pour into boiling water. Five minutes later I have rice pudding. Many other simple meals like rice pilaf and other rice meals can be put into a coke bottle and resealed to make a portable easily fixed meal. You can store tortillas for long periods if not opened. I am in the process of buying a vauum sealer and making up whole meals in one package and sealing them. MRE.s are what most people are buying, but these are not nearly as tasty as my made up meals. Good Luck. rockhound

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
using that vacuum sealer is a great idea. You can put together quite a few dry meals with it instead of just freezing meats. I don't think you can vac seal those coke bottles.

The current weather phenoms are cause for an emergency supply but if you come to and your house is gone along with your neighborhood, the ptbs are not going to let you live the life of fred flintstone while they put the place back together.

44, if you're reading this, are you doing any storm chasing? It's way early in the season and there are already quite a few towns needing rebuild, just wondering.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
They are issuing a warning now of possible tornadoes in the area. You can carry a to go backpack in your vehicle, as I do, just in case you get caught away from home. Also you can buy boxed foods like mac & cheese or any of the pasta meals and do the same thing with a pepsi bottle. You don't need to vacuum seal it, but you could if you wanted to. Just fill it to the top with whatever you are using and screw on the lid tight. There will be very little room left for air. Pasta and rice side dishes make a nice, quick meal on the go. If you want to vacuum seal them the you don't need the soda bottles. They would be more like MRE's after they are vacuum sealed. You could make individual portions of kool aid, tea ,coffee, and a pasta or rice dish all in one vacuum sealed bag. Put everal smaller bags into one larger bag for a complete meal. Potato flakes and bacon bits in another bag with some non fat dried milk. Dried fruit and nuts vacuum sealed as a trail mix, or just buy a large trail mix and make indivivual sized portions. There are so many different combination that it is staggering. This would be doing something comparable to the making of MRE's, at a far cheaper cost. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
For those interested or thinking of storing food and supplies you can go to www.dehydrate2store.com for loads of information on how to do it for short term and long term storage. Especially dehydrated and freeze dried foods are great for long term storage. For short term storage (1-2 years), you can always rotate your stock as you use it and replinish it. Keeping foods in a dark, cool place will help inhibit bacteria for longer storage. There are many vacuum sealers on the market from portable, battery operated units to industrial units, in all price ranges. For long term storage you need to purchase a unit that has the capability to use the Mylar bags. These are highly recommended for long term storage, or at least the thicker plastic bags, that are less prone to leakage over time. Regualr plastic sealer bags and rools are great for economical short term storage. In the U S, we throw out almost 1/3 as much food as we eat. Spoilage, especially in produce, is high in most homes today. Almost all systems can use the special storage containers to reseal leftovers or produce for longer and safer use. These can be used over and over and should pay for themselves in a very short time. As the cost of food keeps rising, it makes sense to try using all that you have paid for. It shouldn't take long to recoupe you investment in a vacuum sealer, unless you eat out all the time. Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions