draft_lens2304678module12751531photo_1239126141goodluck.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 21,854
  • luck-chinese-coin.jpg
    luck-chinese-coin.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16,593

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
I gave up on good-luck charms about age 5, as soon as I realized where my `lucky rabbit`s foot` had to have come from - if the rabbit wasn`t lucky, how could I be.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Luck" is for those fortunate enough to stumble through life with a plentitude of fortuitous outcomes.

For the rest of us, "luck" is what is defined as seeking opportunities, recognizing opportunities and negotiating opportunities.
I smile and call that "hard luck." 8)

My Best,
Scott

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rocky, I think you should turn the horseshoe up, so the luck doesn't run out. :thumbsup:

After all, that is a big part of that superstition :tongue3:

OP
OP
rocky raccoon

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey its an irish thing,won't let me spin it

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
All good luck charms, religious icons, voodoo items, idols, etc., are only trinkets with no intrinsic powers. This is not to say that they have no meaning, function, or influence.

All charms, be they religious or secular, are like sights on a gun. They assist the human mind to focus on one specific target, goal, or idea. The gun sight has no powers of its own but it takes the thoughts of the mind and concentrates them in one specific place (the target). This is sort of like taking a magnifying glass and focusing the sun's rays to a tiny very hot dot.

Think of it this way, we're always aware of time. But when we see a clock we suddenly are able to bring all those scattered thoughts of time together and see time in reality. Suddenly the invisible and fragmented thoughts of time become focused and visible in the mind.

A good luck charm is sort of a crutch for the purpose of assisting the mind to focus upon a certain goal or objective. The charm has no powers of its own but it may help the THer to concentrate on the desired find (treasure) and thus potentially improve the THer's skill level. This could be helpful in causing the THer to work harder. When the mind rambles, we tend to get bored easily and thus quit too early or not be aggressive enough (not thoroughly cover an area). When our minds are totally fixed on a specific thing our productiveness in that area is greatly improved.

OP
OP
rocky raccoon

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good analogy

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 774
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 511

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horseshoe turned up to keep the luck in; or turned down to spread the luck through the house. I would mount mine sideways. Some of my family have a lot of superstitions. Among them, I adhere to the one about it being bad luck to give someone a knife. They have to give you a token payment for it, penny, nickel, whatever. Maybe that comes from years ago you might have been in dire straits if you lost your knife or gave it away. We have so many cultures in the family history, I'm not sure which one that comes from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions