Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hio swabby, prmission to come aboard? Coffe pot in the ward room is hot of course? :coffee2: :coffee2:

Top site, gracias, one question , have you ever heard of any case where a plug fit powder measurer in the powder horn ever coming loose and dumping the powder on the ground without the wearer ever noticing it until he is in an emergency reload ?

The screw type does not have this problem, but it does have the emergency reloading time included, say when an angry Griz is charging you at full bore, or an Injun is after your scalp.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose, Permission granted. The coffee pot isn't in the wardroom though, we have a coffee mess in the after magazine ready room. That coffee will keep you awake on the mid watch, and if given a chance, it probably would worm a cow.

I've never seen a screw plug for powder, except the can that the powder comes in. I've seen shot pouches that have a screw in plug, that also doubles for a measure for shot, and I've seen them come with a spring loaded lever rather than threads to retain the same type of charger for shot. At one time I owned an antique powder horn from Sweden, and it had a hard to explain metal cover or plug, on the same principal of a teeter totter. It was spring loaded, and if you pushed down on the lever it raised the cover, release and the lid closed. All the rest of the horns I've dealt with had wood plugs, and I never have had a problem of the plug coming out when I was wearing it, but one time the plug came out of the horn when I put it in the truck, without me noticing, and spilled powder all over the place. As far as that goes, I've never seen a powder flask with a screw top either. They seem to mostly come with a spring loaded lever also. I've seen shot flasks that have adjustable measures that would pour directly into the barrel, but the powder charge should be measured in a separate measure from the horn for safety reasons.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff there.

Hardest part about the coffee is getting the tinder to light with the flint & steel. ;D

HPIM2767b.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Good stuff there.

Hardest part about the coffee is getting the tinder to light with the flint & steel. ;D

HPIM2767b.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg
Natural fact that the far is hardest to light when you need it the most .
Beautiful possibles bag and horn , by the way . Feller with the far goin and brewin could be my next best
friend in the woods on a nasty day :icon_thumright:
"Hello , the far ! I'm friendly and would like to come in .......With my hands empty ......"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread