Anyone raising asparagus in a home garden ?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't rightly believe I'd use hybrid anything,Heirloom is the only way to go!!Save your seed year to year,hybrid,NO! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
worldtalker said:
Don't rightly believe I'd use hybrid anything,Heirloom is the only way to go!!Save your seed year to year,hybrid,NO! God Bless Chris
Appreciate your opinion on varieties . We raise a very prolific pole bean from heirloom seed
that's been handed down through the family for over 300 years .
5x yield on hybrid asparagus that will stay viable for 15+ years/limited space /comin on 62yrs old .
Frig it ! I'm goin for the gold on this plant . My kids and grandkids can plant Mary Washington if they want to :dontknow:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe instead of a raised bed, dig a ditch (about a foot and a half deep) and mound the earth towards the back side. Plant the asparagus about half way to tree quarters up the side. Now all you do is fill the ditch with water two to three times a week. This is an easy way to keep the roots watered. Asparagus grows wild up here along the irrigation ditches. Comes back every year. Good luck.

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
I grow the Jersey Knight variety; an established crown produces about 1/2 lb. of spears per year. Soil pH is very important.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
dances for eels said:
I grow the Jersey Knight variety; an established crown produces about 1/2 lb. of spears per year. Soil pH is very important.
Thanks for the reply . You are using the variety I plan to use . 100lb yield on 200 may not be enough . Gotta build more beds ........
Old Digger : I'm on solid sandstone . Raised beds and tailored soil of my own making is my only
option .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've got about 50 plants that the two of us can keep up with. Yum!

Dig a deep (10") pit and fill it with your best soil about 6" deep. Add 2" of soil in the fall for the next two years. Eat on the 4th year and thereafter. And WEED! That's the hard part. The more weed free you can keep it the better.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Charlie P. (NY) said:
We've got about 50 plants that the two of us can keep up with. Yum!

Dig a deep (10") pit and fill it with your best soil about 6" deep. Add 2" of soil in the fall for the next two years. Eat on the 4th year and thereafter. And WEED! That's the hard part. The more weed free you can keep it the better.
Thnx , I think :icon_scratch: . 50 for 2 . Guess I better plant lots more for my family :dontknow:

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a 60 plant row in last year. I've already had two cuttings this spring, and it's some GOOD stuff. I used the Martha Washington. All plants came up, but some were/are too small to take this year, I'll let them go to seed and better establish themselves.
Robin

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been picking 2 - 20 foot rows for 10 years now, adding new plants here and there. Dad dumps salt on the rows every couple years, the plants love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread