POLL: Alaska GOLD RUSH - Reality or BULL?

How would you rate the Discovery Channel's GOLD RUSH show?

• Total voters

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, what do you think of this show? :o

Here we have a former (and present) cussing bible school student (mostly profane or obscene euphemisms) leading a group of unemployed and desperate skilled (or semi-skilled) men into Alaska to pan/mine gold. The trouble is, only one of them originally had any gold mining experience (season 1).

At the end of season one they left the field worse than broke. They owed a ton of money to a bunch of people. They were back for season 2 with even bigger and better equipment but with the same old story of "do or die" or "put on your big boy panties" or etc., etc., etc.

So now season 3 and the same old story. They're following the Great American Dream. Somehow they keep returning with plenty of equipment and most of the original desperate crew.

What are your thoughts in regard to this "reality" show?

Attachments

• Todd.jpg
    Todd.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,564
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this "private" link to a trailer that was shown in some building that looks a lot like a church. Maybe it was Todd's home church?

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M.B . you said they owe a bunch of $$$ to alot of people (NOT) The $$$ they raised was from investors As a investor in a gold mining operation there are no guarantees so no gold no payback. It's called risk. The world is full of risk takers. New equipment new investors. took decades with Mel Fisher.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
onfire said:
M.B . you said they owe a bunch of $$$ to alot of people (NOT) The $$$ they raised was from rs As a investor in a gold mining operation there are no guarantees so no gold no payback. It's called risk. The world is full of risk takers. New equipment new investors. took decades with Mel Fisher.

I had in mind the borrowed money from Todd's sister ($25,000) plus what they owed for equipment purchased in Alaska from non-investors.

It's obvious that they have a lot of money coming in from somewhere. Probably this money source covered all outstanding debts. It really doesn't matter, it's just entertainment anyway.

I'm not really down on the show. I actually found it extremely entertaining.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like gold rush. but as with anything on tv you have to take it with a grain of salt. entertainment definitely. and of course now they are celebrities anyway :)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
FarmerChick said:
I like gold rush. but as with anything on tv you have to take it with a grain of salt. entertainment definitely. and of course now they are celebrities anyway :)

Yup, once one gains celebrity status it's a whole new ballgame. That's another thing that really goes against the "we can't get work" routine :laughing7: Absolute nonsense but fun to watch.

Most any company would accept any of those guys in with open hands. Now that they're "famous" they don't need common labor.

Personally I think money is being funneled to them through the Discovery network. I think it was that way from the very beginning. They didn't want that to get out because it would tend to undermine the "spirit" of the show (unemployed desperate men following a dream).

Think about it, this is one of their top shows. Discovery is no doubt making millions of this show. Do they really want to see these guys quit due to a little money shortage? To a big network this is chump change. Just think about what they're already putting out for that camera crew to constantly be on the site. It's obvious they've always been feeding the whole Gold Rush team and their families/friends.

People can be so naive.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
I like the show.. It certainly blows the wind out of the guys that buy a gold pan and have dollar signs dancing in their eyes.. Some of the little factoids they put on between segments makes me wonder though..
Things like "a ton of dirt can have a ounce of gold, a ton of scrap cellphones will yeald 5 oz." How many folks here are mining cellphones?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GunFarce said:
I like the show.. It certainly blows the wind out of the guys that buy a gold pan and have dollar signs dancing in their eyes.. Some of the little factoids they put on between segments makes me wonder though..
Things like "a ton of dirt can have a ounce of gold, a ton of scrap cellphones will yeald 5 oz." How many folks here are mining cellphones?

They even have camps up there in Alaska for tourist who want to "pan real gold." For a price (a big one) one can sleep in a tent, eat polish sausage, and pan a little dust. :thumbsup:

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no accounting for peoples taste when it comes to "reality programs". This one is somewhat more gripping than Doomsday Preppers or Axe Men for instance, cuz of the potential treasure to be found. But in the end, it comes off like swamp gas.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
100 ounces is the grim reality. Those guys made enough to drag their sorry asses into another season, barely. They aint got a pot to piss in.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing they got going for them is a few million viewers. I've heard it's one of their biggest money maker shows. The cement that holds the show together is the natural love people have for gold. Actually, the longer it takes to find that final big "honey hole" the longer they'll have a show. One has to hand it to Todd, the idea was a brilliant one.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh its real, if not a bit scripted. This is why you wont see a rush of gold miners running up to Alaska to get rich quick. It's all too real. Its really tough and expensive to do, and it don't pay too good. That is no bull.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Oh its real, if not a bit scripted. This is why you wont see a rush of gold miners running up to Alaska to get rich quick. It's all too real. Its really tough and expensive to do, and it don't pay too good. That is no bull.

The basic concept is real, that I believe. As for the show itself I think it's mostly bull. Fun and excited bull, but bull still.

The idea of a group of hard working, talented, ambitious men (with families and/or major financial needs), risking all and going to Alaska to find gold is a bit much to swallow. Anyone with enough intelligence to be trusted out on the street without adult supervision should have enough common sense to know that finding significant amounts of gold in Alaska is extremely difficult. The whole show makes zero sense unless one factors into the story the real treasure that's being sought. The real treasure for the members of the team is celebrity status. Once celebrity status is achieved, the money is an automatic fact.

I don't think these guys are riding around in limousines and live in mansions, but I do think they're all a whole lot better off than they make out in the show. And all will be shown favoritism in future years due to their having been a part of this production. Who knows, some may even gain future acting roles. This is the real gold they're all after and they have it. Any metal gold found will be a bonus.

We've seen from the beginning that they have had access to some of the finest potential gold fields of Alaska. I dare say this doesn't happen for everyone who decides to strike it rich. They had favoritism in this regard from the start. Probably when the show reaches it's viewer climax, Discovery will see that they make the big find and that will be the end of the show.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I tried to get into it but I was hoping to see more of the finding gold and a lot less of the drama. If I want to see a family bicker and fight all the time I can just go to Sunday dinner at my Mom's. It's just another TV show but at least it doesn't insult our intelligence like American Diggers on Spike last night, LOL!

Charlie

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reality??

It's just another in the very long line of BS "Reality" shows where they have to get people to argue and fight with each other to get viewers, kinda like Pawn Stars, the motorcycle-building dad and son always fighting, the very stupid and re-enacted repo shows (all of them) The survivor shows, The Storage shows (all of them) and on and on forever. This show in particular has shown me over and over how a sluice box works and I can already apply for a job as a heavy equipment repair person. Lord knows I've seen a lot more discussion, actual footage of and animations on how to fix all types of broke down equipment. How many times have we heard "If this doesn't happen now, we are all going home!!!"??? or similar comments. Then I have to ask, if they were really serious about finding gold, what in the heck is the family doing there along with kids and a dog?? They have spent so much time and money traveling "home" for various reasons like telling Daddy we are on the gold and I have to pursue my dream etc., etc. Just silly crap. They should do what they constantly profess on the show, "Man up and get to work!"

Last edited:

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
There's a new one starting Gold of the Bearing sea.. I assume underwater air lift dredging.. There is also American Digger about guys like us! Well, maybe 'you'..I don't get out much anymore

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the Bearing Sea Gold show is EXACTLY the same. All kinds of arguing and broken down equipment and other exaggerated problems.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After living and working there and just getting back to the lower 48 a few weeks ago I can say that the show is taking the best and the worst of issues and making it look like there is no in between .
It is hard to work in some of those areas and to get setup . The cost is very high for just about everything you do , the house we bought and own was the only thing that was of a normal value .

But seeing the people they have put in charge of some of those Rigs , well just makes me laugh , that is not the Alaskan people , they are a very giving and helpful group , and that is not something we see much of down here.

Now the show where they are mining in the outer areas on the rivers , well some of that had to be set up . Like not putting the riffels in the discharge shute and then no one telling them for the whole season ! Nope that would not have happened , even if the men mining next door were in composition with them they would have not stood back and watch them run like that the whole year and not have told them . Anyone who was from Alaska who came by would have said hey guy's you need to do this. I know this as I have seen it happen many times . So the show is doing some setting up to bring drama into the mix.

But I do have to say , working in Alaska is awesome and you can get things done without all the huge worthless paperwork that most states make you do. Yes there are some standards you have to follow but they are common sense for the most part.
And if you do not want help , well they will leave you alone . But you would have to be a fool not to listen to the ones who live there and know what they are doing when they offer help !

I do not know about some of these shows. As we watched them and talked to our friends we did get a good laugh out of what the producers had done with the show . Because we new that was not the real way things happen.

In just a couple months it will be time to start again , waiting for breakup of the land and snow and ice ! And you have to get to work because you do not have much of a summer to work in. But for the most part it is not bad and it is daylight for about 20 hours so you can get things done !
Just a few more weeks and off again in the Big hunt as it is called for the Gold !

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend turned me onto this show. I love it. I have not watched the underwater gold mining show yet..

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That show is just another flash in the pan "reality" show. It focuses on contrived drama and is total bull Just like these metal detecting shows that are going to ruin detecting for ALL of us at risk of some ratings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions