Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I am not into coins very well and don't know much BUT I know you guys know this stuff.

Am I right that 1964 and older quarters are worth like $5 each? Is that correct?

And people do go to the bank and get MANY rolls of quarters, go thru and pull any silver, re-roll and return.
Is that right also?

I mean if it is that profitable, are they easy to come across?

truy I don't know so just throwing this out there. Anyone do this and is it worth me doing?

all info appreciated lol

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that quarters are a tough find compared to halfs that being said I usually buy $100.00 worth everytime I go to the bank and if I'm lucky I'll find one or two sometimes I get skunked but what the heck, If I find one it's worth today around $5.82 in silver melt.
Here's a good site to go to for coin prices: U.S. Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator - Coinflation

Happy Hunting, Charlie

P.S. I forgot: Go to the Coin Roll Hunting Forum and you will get tons of answers.

Last edited:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
To say that coins 1964 and before are worth a certain price is way to broad. Sometimes a low mintage, great grade, error or a host of other variables come into play and a specific coin might be worth way, way more than 5 or 6 bucks. I suggest that you purchase "The Official Red Book, A Guide book of U.S Coins" to use as a reference. Hope this is helpful and best of luck, Shane

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that quarters are a tough find compared to halfs that being said I usually buy $100.00 worth everytime I go to the bank and if I'm lucky I'll find one or two sometimes I get skunked but what the heck, If I find one it's worth today around $5.82 in silver melt.
Here's a good site to go to for coin prices: U.S. Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator - Coinflation

Happy Hunting, Charlie

P.S. I forgot: Go to the Coin Roll Hunting Forum and you will get tons of answers.

there is a coin roll hunting section? I sure didn't know that...off to find it thanks

Edited to say...I found the coin rolling. thank you. that site helps TONS.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that Shane has a great idea... Change your nick to farmerbroad :p

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that Shane has a great idea... Change your nick to farmerbroad :p

:happysmiley:

you know I have heard worse HAHA

I went off to the coin roll hunting forum. wow those guys are insane with halves. $1000s and $1000s of dollars they check each week.
I tried. My banks said no ordering halves. I don't think I can get this coin roll hunting happening.
oh well

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had better luck getting silver coins just by paying for everything with cash, and getting change back. The last time I got a silver coin back in change was November 2009, a 1964 dime. I did roll-searching for quite a while without any luck in regard to silver. I used to get rolls of pennies to cure boredom and search for wheaties just because they're nostalgic and I think they look cool, most aren't worth very much unless you get a 1909 VBD or whatever they call it. But yeah, roll searching... been there done that! I didn't personally have any luck, I guess it depends on where you live and who is going to the bank to cash in their coins, evidently nobody in my locality is careless enough to turn in anything silver!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found over a thousand silver coins in from rolls in the last couple years. It's not for the faint-hearted. It's purely a hobby for me and I usually break even in fuel costs (from picking up and dumping coins). Some have a lot of luck, and that's what it is, pure and simple. It's a lot easier to just buy your silver. As far as quarters go, I found 2 in change last year. Roll hunting quarters, I average about 1 per $700-800 in quarters searched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread