New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
'Pink slime' is now found in 70 percent of the ground beef at our grocers

'Pink slime' is now found in 70 percent of the ground beef at our grocers
Monday, April 02, 2012 by: Tony Isaacs

(NaturalNews) Would you knowingly eat ground beef which contained scrap meat items such as muscle connective tissue which had been sprayed with ammonium hydroxide? Would you want your children to eat such ground beef in their school lunches? According to recent revelations, if you or your children eat ground beef there is a strong chance that both may be happening.

Last week, former United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientist-turned-whistleblower Gerald Zirnstein revealed that 70 percent of the ground beef sold at supermarkets contained the fake-meat additive which is commonly referred to as "pink slime". This revelation came on the heels of reports that the USDA is purchasing 7 million pounds of the product for school lunches in public schools.

"Pink slime" is made by gathering beef waste trimmings, simmering them at low heat to make it easy to separate fat from the muscle, and using a centrifuge to spin the waste trimmings to complete the separation. Next, the mixture is sent through pipes and sprayed with ammonium hydroxide gas to kill bacteria. Finally, the product is packaged into bricks, frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers, where it is added to most ground beef.

The beef trimmings are particularly susceptible to contamination and were once relegated to pet food and cooking oil. However, Beef Products Inc. (BPI), the makers of "pink slime, commissioned a study which reportedly demonstrated that the ammonia process would kill E. coli as well as salmonella. Ever since the study, use of "pink slime" in ground beef has increased.

In 2009, the New York Times reported that despite the added ammonia, tests of "pink slime" across the country revealed dozens of instances of E. coli and salmonella. According to the Times, E. coli was found three times and salmonella 48 times between 2005 and 2009, including two contaminated batches of meat totaling 27,000 pounds.

Zirnstein, who first coined the term "pink slime" in a USDA memo, told ABC news "It's economic fraud. It's not fresh ground beef. ...It's a cheap substitute being added in."

Zirnstein and fellow USDA scientist Carl Custer both warned against using what the industry calls "lean finely textured beef," but they were overruled by their government bosses. The "pink slime" does not have to appear on the adulterated ground beef labels because, over objections of its own scientists, USDA officials with links to the beef industry labeled it meat.

The woman who made the decision to approve the mix is former undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. Her decision led to hundred of millions of dollars for BPI.

"The under secretary said, 'it's pink, therefore it's meat,'" Custer told ABC News.

When Smith left the USDA in 1993, she was appointed to the board of directors for BPI's principal major supplier where she reportedly made at least $1.2 million over the next 17 years. The USDA said that, while Smith's appointment was legal at the time, she could not have immediately joined the board under current ethics rules.

News of the USDA's plan to bring 7 million pounds of "pink slime" to school cafeterias nationwide comes just weeks after the government announced new guidelines to ensure students are given healthier options for school meals. Notably, the USDA purchase comes after fast food chains such as McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger King have discontinued use of "pink slime."

A public outcry against the "slime" is perhaps led most prominently by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who has also waged war successfully against flavored milk in Los Angeles schools.

Sources for this article include:

http://abcnews.go.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html

Pink slime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you aren't being forced to eat it :)

as long as you know, you have alternatives. buy them.
and if you have a kid at school and the school is buying 'this stuff' then make sure your kid brings lunch.
and boycott the stuff cause any types of protest help, but it is the buying dollar that makes sure a product survives or does not.

the ammonium hydroxide has been happening in beef processing plants for MANY many years. nothing new in that use...but of course now it is important--hmm

so much yuck out there in this world!

cruddy food has been happening for a long time. what kinda crap beef is in those fast food burgers everyone is buying up and getting fat from?? geez, like this 'pink slime' is anything new...it really isn't. junk is out there. eat it or don't. I don't :)

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much ado about nothing. Just another case of over sensationalization, and how the media can sway public opinion.

This has been happening since ground beef was MARKETED, it's just that suddenly now the media felt it was "bad"

Is it HEALTHY? No.
Is this NEW? No.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I quit eating beef 4 months ago when I went on a diet. Chicken, Turkey and Fish only! 52 lbs lost so far.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad I quit eating beef 4 months ago when I went on a diet. Chicken, Turkey and Fish only! 52 lbs lost so far.

52 lbs........................:happy1:

I need to get rid of about 20-25; put it on bad this winter.

Diet, anything special; any other health issues?

52 Wow :thumbsup: You sure are doing something right.:icon_salut:

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I could think about while reading that article is MEAT GLUE

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't no pink slime in our homegrown beef!!.............no hormones or antibiotics either. Our beef also gets to graze and roam, none of that feedlot mentallity. Same story with the eggs we eat from our own chickens. When my son and I first mentioned getting our own hens some years ago, my daughter-in-law wasn't too pleased with the idea of eating eggs that didn't come from the "supermarket". Now she won't eat a store-bought egg.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be right over for some steaks PB :laughing7:, i'll bring the booze

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here. we farm. I know where the food comes from :)

fresh eggs can't compare to store bought that is for sure!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
52 lbs........................:happy1:

I need to get rid of about 20-25; put it on bad this winter.

Diet, anything special; any other health issues?

52 Wow :thumbsup: You sure are doing something right.:icon_salut:

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE
When I went over 300 lbs. it was time, my New Years resolution. Just changed my diet and started counting calories. Gave up chips, cookies, ice cream and most sugar in general. Started eating fresh fruits and vegetables. I still eat plenty and don't go hungry. I'm like 6'6" so 52 lbs isn't so much. I gained most of it when I quit smoking about 5 years ago, if I lose another 30 i'll reach my goal of 225. I also reduced my sodium intake, my blood pressure is now normal, no more enalapril.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"no more enalapril."

Diggummup, beat the Doctors. :hello2: Good job.
Drugs, drugs, drugs.
Keep it up.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just the tip of the iceberg, so ta speak. I'm 64 so it doesn't matter much for me but young folks had better wise up. We're being poisoned in this country more so than most. Most anywhere in Europe has far better quality food than we have here in the world's greatest "Super Power" nation (or so we're told).

Just about any processed food you can name in this country is to some extent messed up. Here in the north they're talking "healthy maple syrup." Some have been known to use a solution containing the active ingredient in embalming fluid to cause the sap to flow stronger and longer. This process is condemned but very difficult to monitor. Most producers claim they're not using this process, but in the end money talks. Good luck with your maple syrup. The list goes on and on and on.

With a little research online one can find some very alarming documentaries on honey. Warning, don't watch them if you love honey and look for bargain prices. China is selling us contaminated honey through Canada. It's blocked from China but they beat this by blending it in Canada and then legally exporting it into the U.S. (honey from Canada isn't blocked).

This type of thing goes on with much of our food. You can't trust labels that say "Product of Maine" or wherever.

It's best today to grow your own vegetables and can them. Buy honey and other such things locally from organic suppliers or producers you can trust.

Greedy entities are killing us via our food.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, with those numbers, I'd suggest only eating 30% of any chopped meat that hasn't been tampered with, or just eat 30% of any chopped meat and lessen the intake from the get go :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread