Time to choose

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
So what's with all the adult-themed postings in the Comedy section; it claims to be a 'family-friendly' place but that's obviously not so. My 12 year old niece loves to metal detect and is especially interested in finding coins and rings and such and visits this site regularly. She recently asked me 'why they let people post those things on here ' and I didn't have an answer, so I'm passing the question on. Don't we need to either clean the place up or get rid of the 'family friendly' desigination and let folks know what to expect here and that some sections are not suitable for young people?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheltered, home schooled? I remember being 12 years old in junior high school. I learned more garbage there than anywhere else.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
dances,
tough subject.
"TreasureNet is a family friendly website. Adult language (even jokes!) are not allowed here. Racial jokes are also not allowed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Marc "

Not really sure what the above says about the site.

Jokes may be a bit "risque", but not sure where the moderators
draw the line.

I don't really hit the comedy section. Perhaps if your offended I could suggest
that your niece and yourself do the same.

If that is not working, perhaps "contact us" would be an option and may
do some good. Could also try the "report post".

Hope you and your niece find a way to work it out.

have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE​

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't there a way to 'hide' the offending topic categories?

I think you can 'custom' your forum? I did it once trying to get rid of the stuff on the forum listings, like shipwreck diving and hunting and all that cause I will probably never do it and had no interest....but that was before the new changes.

can you still do that?

yea that is tough. you have to censor some categories for her I guess.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The vulgarity on this site is out of control. The obscenity has grown to epic proportions. Enough is enough...

Seriously... This is a self-serving post. This is a treasure hunting website on a public forum. People from all backgrounds and walks of life post here. If this is a family friendly site, that is news to me.

Not trying to be mean spirited but this post really rubbed me the wrong way. It is not up to you or me to police what people say on here. There is no way this site has a problem with vulgarity. Ok Im done...

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's up to the mods to decide what is ok.

Apparently it's ok to get as nasty as you want, as long as it isn't politically charged (against the wrong people . . . attacks the other way are ok) or of a religious nature (unless it belittles a religious minority they don't like).

So, as I've been told by more than one mod, "if you don't like the way we run things, go somewhere else.

OP
OP
D

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
Look, this is really simple. Either this is a 'family-friendly' site or it's not. These jokes are either 'family-friendly' or they're not. Why would anyone expect to have to adjust their settings to avoid areas on a 'family-friendly' site. My niece is neither over-protected, nor home-schooled , nor does she live in a cesspool on a concrete slab. She is, however, an intelligent, independent person who asked a reasonable question and who believes that ,if you give your word, you do what you promised.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]1- Time to choose[/h]
So what's with all the adult-themed postings in the Comedy section; it claims to be a 'family-friendly' place but that's obviously not so. My 12 year old niece loves to metal detect and is especially interested in finding coins and rings and such and visits this site regularly. She recently asked me 'why they let people post those things on here ' and I didn't have an answer, so I'm passing the question on. Don't we need to either clean the place up or get rid of the 'family friendly' desigination and let folks know what to expect here and that some sections are not suitable for young people?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

2- Look, this is really simple. Either this is a 'family-friendly' site or it's not. These jokes are either 'family-friendly' or they're not. Why would anyone expect to have to adjust their settings to avoid areas on a 'family-friendly' site. My niece is neither over-protected, nor home-schooled , nor does she live in a cesspool on a concrete slab. She is, however, an intelligent, independent person who asked a reasonable question and who believes that ,if you give your word, you do what you promised.

:laughing7: LOL, Nice jab there paco. I've only been "living in a cesspool on a slab of concrete" since I moved to S.Fl., I wasn't raised on one. To the contrary I was raised in the burbs in small town America, much less I was already in the 8th grade by the time I was 12 years old. Your being extremely naive if you think your "niece" doesn't see and hear much worse than anything stated on this site at her school and among her peers.
Which by the way also leads me to believe, based on the wording you've used in your two replies, I'm having serious doubts as to whether your niece even expressed these concerns to you at all. I believe in fact, that it is actually you who wants the answer to the above mentioned, "why they let people post those things on here" and your "niece" is just a pawn, to use in your quest for the answer to a question in which you yourself seek the answer.

Personally, I wasn't even aware of any of the suggestive postings on the comedy central page until you brought it to my attention. Then, I don't come on here for comedy. However, I did read a few postings and do know what you are referring to. If you feel offended or if your "niece" feels offended, there's a little triangle with an exclamation point in the center, on the bottom left of each post, that you can click to report the post to the mods. :thumbsup:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were her comments on the OLD political site? Thought that was kind family friendly?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I see what you're saying but the fact of the matter is that today "family friendly" is much different than it may have been 20 years ago. Had there been an internet back in the 1950's, and someone would have posted the "S" word, there would have been a federal investigation. Today preachers use it and a lot worse.

As our families go, so goes America. As mentioned above, most kids today are literally bathed in verbal poo both at home, church, and school. Not far from one of our homes is a super fundamental "soul-winning" Baptist church. I know some of the board members very well and can they tell the dirty stories! In my line of work I meet a lot of these types and maybe 1 out of 100 is genuine (I mean they do as they say). I mention this just to say that even in our so-called holy Joe church environments things aren't what they were even a decade ago.

Times are changing and forums reflect that change. Heck, I recall back in the early days of CB radio that if somebody went on the air and said a naughty word the other guys would soundly rebuke him! These same guys cussed at work but one didn't cuss indiscriminately before the public. This was a golden rule understood by all. Now with that in mind, check out CB radio today. :tongue3:

The point: "Family friendly" (unlike Bible friendly) changes with the culture. Just reading your comments I think what some of you have in mind is Bible friendly, not "Family Friendly." "Family Friendly" is what happens in most family environments today and that my friends is verbal doo doo (including church families). I watched a G or PG rated kids show on Netflix the other night and in it were all sorts of sexual comments by the 12 to 13 year old actors. They can make movies like that because that's real life America today.

I suggest avoiding the offensive threads if they bug you. If your kids really are listening to you they should obey you by not reading those threads. I agree with your concerns but on the other hand the world will be the world.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
There should be a section for adult themed posts in my opinion. Most of the people here are adults and we shouldn't have to walk on egg shells fearing some kid is going to be offended. Or there should be a way to block certain sections. I wanted to know how to block the CRH posts..so if anyone knows of that's possible let me know.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=3]Forum Ignore List[/h]You have no ignored forums. To ignore a forum click Forum Tools and select Ignore this Forum.

-----------------

ok people you can 'hide' ANY offending forum category that is too wild for you. BUT I CAN not find the Forum Tools link :laughing7:

you can do it if the mods tell us where the Forum Tools is located.

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
This has always been a growing concern of mine and with every new attempt to create a web site of my own to showcase my talents as well as talents artists.. (when it comes to rock or minerals) I undoubtedly end up with objectionable followers, which in tern create links from my page to theirs.. Ok doesn't sound bad right?.. well lets just say the last time I corrected a web site devoted to rocks and minerals, I was getting followers with names like RockhardJimmy etc.. (had nothing to do with rocks or minerals) and with younger viewers in my family who read my pages etc.. I had to close the site down.. This web freedom is actually to free if you ask me.. or it isn't moderated as it should be. I would say the name of the server which I created the site above.. But I don't want to attract any more attention to it's crude ways and habits. So thats fine and dandy that many of you know how it is or you knew to much as a child.. but there are those of us who still would like to have some since of control in our lives, instead of having everything in your face all at once.. putting limits on sites is a good thing. and just remember.. If you feel a post is objectionable.. doesn't hurt to report it.. (The little black triangle bottom left corner of each posted area)

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
This has always been a growing concern of mine and with every new attempt to create a web site of my own to showcase my talents as well as talents artists.. (when it comes to rock or minerals) I undoubtedly end up with objectionable followers, which in tern create links from my page to theirs.. Ok doesn't sound bad right?.. well lets just say the last time I corrected a web site devoted to rocks and minerals, I was getting followers with names like RockhardJimmy etc.. (had nothing to do with rocks or minerals) and with younger viewers in my family who read my pages etc.. I had to close the site down.. This web freedom is actually to free if you ask me.. or it isn't moderated as it should be. I would say the name of the server which I created the site above.. But I don't want to attract any more attention to it's crude ways and habits. So thats fine and dandy that many of you know how it is or you knew to much as a child.. but there are those of us who still would like to have some since of control in our lives, instead of having everything in your face all at once.. putting limits on sites is a good thing. and just remember.. If you feel a post is objectionable.. doesn't hurt to report it.. (The little black triangle bottom left corner of each posted area)

While I understand your viewpoint, wouldn't it be better for a few to conform to the masses rather than the masses conform to a few?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look ya'll it is an ADULT site. not Nickelodeon, not Disney, not PBSkids

adult site.

go find a kid detecting site if TRULY one is concerned about the content.

adults will never, ever, ever, ever have the same 'allowable' level of content as an all kids site.

geez, parents need to CONTROL what is being seen, not the forum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread