Metal detecting sucks....Why ive stopped, but still watch your youtube channels

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Metal detecting sucks....Why i've stopped, but still watch your youtube channels

Hello all. First off this is not a hate against the forum at all. I have moved onto better things in my life and have found I enjoy them a lot more then metal detecting. I have been metal detecting off and on for 4 years now with my buddy JuJu was many of you may know. It got to the point where I was getting tired of hunting 8 hours a day in a field and not turning up anything. It is just not fun to me anymore to sit in a field for 8 hours for one piece of silver when others are getting more. I also don't find it very amusing anymore that spots are getting harder and harder to find because Washington state is developing like crazy up here.

I've been working at my new job for a year after getting sick of my old job and finding out that I am making way more money working then I would ever do by finding gold rings. I just want to say metal detecting sucks and is not for everyone. Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds. My new hobby is collecting video games and retro video games as well as playing them. That is 10 times more enjoyable then metal detecting ever was. If you are ever going to get into the hobby buy a shitty machine and waste 8 hours finding nothing and then say oh i wasted $200 and move on.

However, this may contridct my whole post, but i still love watching people find stuff on youtube. It is way more enjoyable then spending 8 hours a day out in a field and finding nothing. Anyways best of luck to all of you. Maybe some of you will wake up and see their is no fun in this hobby anymore. Send me your youtube channels, if I think its worthy of me subscribing then i will subscribe and watch.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow aaaannnn good luck to ya!
NOW quick someone grab him, hes gone crazy !!! to much field time ....no goodies

Last edited:

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I would agree with you to some extent. I've only been metal detecting for about a year, I live in Nebraska so more than half the year the ground is too hard and/or covered in snow. It's definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be. If you do it strictly to make money and find valuable items then yeah it's probably not going to be very fun but if you're doing it because you would rather be outside that sitting inside watching tv or something that you'll have a good time. I haven't found anything bigger than a clad dime yet but I still can't wait until the next time I get to go out. It's easy to lose motivation but being on this website is cool cause you get to see what other people are finding and you realize that it's possible for you to find cool stuff too, you just gotta do your research and search in spots that have the best potential and be patient.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do get what you're saying, and it's just about being different because I think I'd rather take a bullet than have to play video games.

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_scratch: Was metal detecting your last job? Anyone that thinks they can just buy a metal detector, and get rich or even make any money has not done there research. I like the fact that it gets me away from the video games, and out into nature.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry guys
But you got to do your research old maps,barber shop ask the old times where they swam,played ball,old lovers lane.....go to the oldest persons you know ask questions ...go to the front door of an older home ask permission...go the the library and read....historical society and look at pictures and anything eles.
I`v been at this some time now and i could never run out of places to detect...but sitting down playing games is not for me.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just quit then? Why make a thread?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds. My new hobby is collecting video games and retro video games as well as playing them. That is 10 times more enjoyable then metal detecting ever was. If you are ever going to get into the hobby buy a shitty machine and waste 8 hours finding nothing and then say oh i wasted $200 and move on.

cry2.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Successful metal detecting/treasure hunting requires a lot of dedication, time, and work. It's not for everyone.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I suppose everyone has their own reasons for getting into metal detecting. For me it is a hobby. I have never really taken it as serious as some do. Whenever I go out, I always have a specific place and time to quit, so I don't get burned out as you have apparently have. An hour or two in a descent spot will give me some coins and perhaps some jewelry. Since there is many more people to lose things in the eastern US, we probably have access to more parks, playgrounds, ballfields and swimming areas than do many western states. Though your states have far more gold and other minerals but your search areas are also far bigger. While some have to drive miles to detect, I can walk 5 minutes and be detecting and finding lost coins and jewelry. If I don't start finding anything within a hour, then I go to a new location. Good Luck. rockhound

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because your not finding anything you like doesnt mean others arent, sounds like you didnt do the right research and ujust went " nilly willy " as far as where to hunt..

I have found more than enough jewelry and other items to keep me interested.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds.

--------------SOUNDS like ya should have taken your own advice you are telling others :) :)

I am opposite. I bought the $300 cheapo machine and am grading UP UP man UP selling this one to someone and using that $$ to buy more expensive and better.

it only 'sucks' if you don't like it. I sure don't think it stinks. I love it.

You definitely best get out of it before you hurt yourself or something :dontknow:

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great,Honest post. Hopefully every newbie reads it and realizes they are not going to get rich or make enough money to not have a job.Detecting can be frustrating for me but I don't think I've ever hated it. It is kinda silly to get excited from a old Indian head penny or even a silver dime,but I still do. But for me it's still thrilling to see a coin in the hole,even if it not worth much.My brother has done much,much better than me,those gold coins on my avatar are his.
The videos on youtube are great to watch as I love the ones that show the whole dig so you get the first reaction of the hunter to his finds. Take care, Dan:icon_thumright:

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"Great,Honest post. Hopefully every newbie reads it and realizes
they are not going to get rich or make enough money to not have a job"

Best of luck. Things change in ones life. Perhaps at another time................
Take Care,

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Sorry if my post was misleading and people thought metal detecting was my day job. It was not, I worked at Safeway, Hollywood video, and Fred meyer before I landed the job that is going to get me on the right career path. These four jobs have all been within the last 4 years. I've been at this current job that is in my career field for almost a year and love it. Metal detecting was also defiantly a hobby for me, but I was stupid and thought that buying a $1200 metal detector would get me great finds.. Every time I hunted I would see JuJu getting rich with all of his gold and silver with his whites MXT while mine was a Minelab SE.

This whole experience was defiantly a mind opener and you should not believe what people are telling you saying you will find gold immediately. They are just trying to make a buck. I am a lot wiser now and I feel that spending days out in the field while having people stare at what you are doing is also not an enjoyable experience. Another thing I must vent about is coin collecting. Another way I thought i would get rich, yet I see coin prices going down everyday. I am now seeing the fact that nothing is life is ever certain and there is no get quick rich scheme. You really have to love the hobby to keep on going with it instead of having the mindset of Oh I am going to get rich by buying every coin known to man because then they will become really rare.

However, like many have said before me. It's only worth what someone will pay for it. That's why I've stopped coin collecting to. Now many of you think video games are not valuable and I know they are not, but they provide hours upon hours of entertainment and they do not sit in a bookshelf like coins do. Coins just sit somewhere and don't get used. Anyways, that's my opinion so far. I will keep updating this thread if people have any more comments. I will also be checking in on Tnet from time to time and enjoying what people are finding. In no means do I want to bash this forum, I just want to warn newbies that metal detecting is only for those who really enjoy the outdoors and don't care at all what they find. If they do care, like I once did, then they will stay clear of the hobby because they will become frustrated and spend loads of money on equipment and then have nothing to show for their efforts. I have not seen any great youtube channels pop up in my post so I will keep looking for those as well.

Last edited:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detecting or sitting on the couch playing video games.....hmmm...From what I have witnessed, the ones that sit on their ass playing video games are typically chubby, acne afflicted, corpse pale skinned basement dwellers, surviving on a diet of pizza rolls and/or hot pockets, and most certainly without a female companion. I sold my video games to purchase more metal detecting equipment but that's just me. Too each their own I guess.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You joined the hobby for the wrong reasons. You thought you could get rich doing this. Detecting is about the enjoyment of the hunt. If you find nice stuff, GREAT. If not, you still had a relaxing day.

Glad to see one more money grabber fall to the wayside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread