OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
You joined the hobby for the wrong reasons. You thought you could get rich doing this. Detecting is about the enjoyment of the hunt. If you find nice stuff, GREAT. If not, you still had a relaxing day.

Glad to see one more money grabber fall to the wayside.

yup. I still enjoy watching peoples own metal detecting videos and commenting on their finds on youtube so I will continue to do that. If we just educate people on the hobby and how its not for people who want to get rich like i did. Then we can truly make this an enjoyable hobby for true fans.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup. I still enjoy watching peoples own metal detecting videos and commenting on their finds on youtube so I will continue to do that. If we just educate people on the hobby and how its not for people who want to get rich like i did. Then we can truly make this an enjoyable hobby for true fans.

I completely agree!

I wish the mags and the manufacturers would put that as a disclaimer, but they make money by selling a dream just like the lottery.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You joined the hobby for the wrong reasons. You thought you could get rich doing this. Detecting is about the enjoyment of the hunt. If you find nice stuff, GREAT. If not, you still had a relaxing day.

Glad to see one more money grabber fall to the wayside.

Jason is correct. I got into metal detecting because Florida outlawed collecting artifacts off of governemnt land. I didnt want to take a chance in losing my indian artifact collection I built from walking the creekds, streams, and fields in Missouri by hunting indian artifacts here so I took up detecting because I missed the thrill of the hunt... It is the thrill of finding something that has been lost and wondering what it is I am digging up before I see it that I enjoy....

Anyone who takes up detecting as a source of income or a way to make a living is living in a dream world.... yes there are a very, very lucky few who find something worth a lot of money just like a very few people hit the lottery, but for the rest of us the odds are we never will never find anything of great value.......

If you don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt dont take up metal detecting...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.............I hate that ya feel that way:unhappysmiley: But to think that you had to come here and rant and rave about how bad metal detecting is
Thats kinda wierd:icon_scratch:, But then again I think that anyone who would give up the peace of mind, And the satisfaction of doing your research
And finding that place where people used to gather, Or the army camped, and finding the coins dropped or relics left behind.....To play VIDIO
GAMES!!!!!! Buddy ya gotta be nuts:violent1:, But thats JMHO.........Good luck and good bye:dontknow:

TripletDad

Sep 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeing both sides now

I gotta admit buying a Minelab after reading the posts here. My first job was mowing yards so I could save up enough to buy a White's Beachcomber. I dug everything (but re-buried the trash!). I've always had a detector since then, but after the kids were born, I pretty much stopped for the last 20 years or so. Guess I got spoiled searching virgin parks in Northern Ohio in the '70s, because as time has gone on, the pickings have gotten really slim, and now we're forced to scour cornfields in wintertime for a farmer-dropped coin or two. I've only used the Minelab once, but I really have to wonder if it's worth 6 hours of my time finding 28 cents. I know the good stuffs out there, but is it really worth my time away from home & family? I love the hobby, and I love finding free coins for my collection - I always say it's like Christmas in Vegas: a mix of gambling and free gifts.

Now I'm out West where the pickings are even slimmer, with a rarely-used $1,600.00 metal detector. So I hear you - seeing the finds here makes it sound like it's all rainbows and lollipops, but I'm not as young as I used to be, and the cost vs. benefits ratio seems a little lopsided.

I really do enjoy seeing the stories and pictures. Makes me remember the cool times my brother and I had digging up free coins.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if we could only film you reading this confession so it can be played at the beginning and end of every American Diggers show, that would be grand.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This kid used to chat with me all the time on AIM. He never took my advice on detecting / collecting. He was always telling me how great of an investment he was making in various items he was buying at the peak of retail and he didn't understand basic reasoning why it wasn't going to be worthwhile. I tried to give him tips on using his Explorer as well and instead he wanted to take advice from a guy using an MXT, which are two very different animals. If gold is what you want, you don't buy an Explorer. It's as simple as that. It's for people that search for silver.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting should be a hobby.

Some people's hobby is rebuilding old cars. Some peoples hobby is playing golf. Some people are hard-core bass fishers or big game hunters.

I know lots of people with LOTS of different hobbies. Even buying an E-Trac and an Excalibur along with everything needed to use those, this hobby is still MUCH cheaper than any other real hobby out there.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's not fun for you, then you've made the right choice. As for me, it's still fun so thanks for your opinion, but I'll continue hunting anyway.
luvsdux

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This Hobby is about the THRILL OF THE HUNT! Did you every learn or experience how good it feels (after weeks of digging those freaking pull tabs) when you stuck with it, you know there has to be a GOLD ring in that field because there are too many like targets there and WALLAH- Finally you did it! thats what this hobby is about!

Sorry you didnt ever get that chance! but its a life lesson - the good things in life take WORK! There are no short cuts! But Man once you figure that out, you realize with determination some day you might make the banner or make it in Eastern and Western!

Also, something is not adding up here - that guy posted 5660 times and now he hates the hobby???? Come on to post that many times that would take 8 hours a day for four years???? The guy must have been really in it for the money!

Anyways, I am glad there are people who hang it up! Leaves more for the rest of us, and it also reinforced what I already new - but now I have to act on it!

Thanks GAP METAL - "But you got to do your research old maps,barber shop ask the old times where they swam,played ball,old lovers lane.....go to the oldest persons you know ask questions ...go to the front door of an older home ask permission...go the the library and read....historical society and look at pictures and anything eles.
I`v been at this some time now and i could never run out of places to detect...but sitting down playing games is not for me. "

Last edited:

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just had to come on a hobby forum to tell every member that their hobby sucks because you are a gullible idiot and thought it was an income generator? I'm sorry but you are a --------- in more ways than one. I was going to expound on them all but I don't want to waste the ink.

Watch the language when you talk to members Broken....

Last edited by a moderator:

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
WELL SAID! Treasure_Hunter

"If you don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt dont take up metal detecting...
"

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just read his response! post #18! thanks for some clarification!

I still dont get it, Man you needed a club, needed to interact with people get ideas throw them at the wall, fail and try again!

I cannot beleive you did not find anything in four years and am shocked at the different place you are at after four years. I too started in 2007 but I am so passionate about the hobby I often am daydreaming about where I can get my next big find!

Sell that $1200.00 dollar machine on ebay and get some of your money back. Buy an Ace 250 and go to the park - If you stick with it for 2 or 3 months and dig approximately a 1000 pull tabs you will eventually hit a gold ring! Yeah its a lot of work but you will find Gold! Better than watching someone else do it on you tube!

Dont give up Man! Stick with, I just cannot beleive you would quit after 5K + posts and four years invested!! that's Crazy! you will be back when you are bored with video Games!

I believe your posts - I think your a genuine guy (I am from the Northwest and know about Safeway and Fred Meyers) Hang in there man! Also, I think this book could help you out - "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by stephen R. Covey! Its a great read and will help you in Life! Good Luck to ya!

Last edited:

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes TH, I assumed some or all would be edited. Was trying to balance ire and civility as best I could.
His wording of the thread title kinda sets the tone

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes TH, I assumed some or all would be edited. Was trying to balance ire and civility as best I could.
His wording of the thread title kinda sets the tone

Thank you for understanding why I had to edit it....

Xhunter911

Mar 28, 2012
Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett freedom III coin commander
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to see you get out of it after such a short period of time, 4 years is nothing when it's a hobby that you love to do! Some people fish and some people hunt day in and day out and its thier entire life outside of their families, and they dont get paid for it at all, and spend way more than $1200 for gear.. These are called hobby's!!!
If you expected to get rich or make a living off of metal detecting/treasure hunting than you obviously got into it for the wrong reasons..

Snake Eyes

Sep 24, 2011
111/101 in SW Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Explorer SE, Dowsing Rods...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. First off this is not a hate against the forum at all. I have moved onto better things in my life and have found I enjoy them a lot more then metal detecting. I have been metal detecting off and on for 4 years now with my buddy JuJu was many of you may know. It got to the point where I was getting tired of hunting 8 hours a day in a field and not turning up anything. It is just not fun to me anymore to sit in a field for 8 hours for one piece of silver when others are getting more. I also don't find it very amusing anymore that spots are getting harder and harder to find because Washington state is developing like crazy up here.

I've been working at my new job for a year after getting sick of my old job and finding out that I am making way more money working then I would ever do by finding gold rings. I just want to say metal detecting sucks and is not for everyone. Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds. My new hobby is collecting video games and retro video games as well as playing them. That is 10 times more enjoyable then metal detecting ever was. If you are ever going to get into the hobby buy a shitty machine and waste 8 hours finding nothing and then say oh i wasted $200 and move on.

However, this may contridct my whole post, but i still love watching people find stuff on youtube. It is way more enjoyable then spending 8 hours a day out in a field and finding nothing. Anyways best of luck to all of you. Maybe some of you will wake up and see their is no fun in this hobby anymore. Send me your youtube channels, if I think its worthy of me subscribing then i will subscribe and watch.

You Came, You Vented, But You'll Be back.......

This comming from someone that sailed one of those $1200 machines through the air one day at a crowded city park seven years ago! Ha! Flew Great, but It Didn't land very well though!!!

Take Care, And See Ya When You Return Dude:headbang: Mike.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak, I'll have to agree with snakeyes above. It seems you still have an interest, but not just too excited about getting dirty for nothing.

You will notice that many of these members will tell you to go out and buy the biggest, baddest machine there is. I have always said go with something less expensive until you decide this is the hobby for you. I may be a clown, but that is sound advise and judging by another post on here, I'm on the money. :thumbsup:

You choose a hobby for any number of reasons, and walking away after discovering it's not for you is nothing more than trial and error.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone has their own reasons for detecting...Look at all the benefits..Its not just about financial gains....It's about history. When I find an old coin, I tend to think about the mystery behind it. Who last held it, how did it get here, and the stories it could tell before it was found ....Metal detecting, in a way, is like going back in time.

Then there is the adventure, exploring new and most of the time scenic locations. Sometimes it makes you feel like Indiana Jones.

Then there is the health benefits of getting outside in the fresh air and the exercise. How many guys out there who detect are obese that are in our hobby? Not many...but many of those who play video games all day would seem to lead unhealthy lifestyles...To each his own, as they say.

Yes, metal detecting can be frustrating when you are in a rut...or when the detector is going nuts over an iron infested site. But those drawbacks are minor. Just keep a positive attitude and as the great Mel Fisher use to say "Today's the Day". If you are looking to get rich, you will be disappointed...unless you're one of those lucky enough to find an Anglo Saxon treasure. It's really the thrill of the hunt! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread