Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Metal detecting sucks....Why ive stopped, but still watch your youtube channels

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    21 times

Metal detecting sucks....Why i've stopped, but still watch your youtube channels

Hello all. First off this is not a hate against the forum at all. I have moved onto better things in my life and have found I enjoy them a lot more then metal detecting. I have been metal detecting off and on for 4 years now with my buddy JuJu was many of you may know. It got to the point where I was getting tired of hunting 8 hours a day in a field and not turning up anything. It is just not fun to me anymore to sit in a field for 8 hours for one piece of silver when others are getting more. I also don't find it very amusing anymore that spots are getting harder and harder to find because Washington state is developing like crazy up here.

I've been working at my new job for a year after getting sick of my old job and finding out that I am making way more money working then I would ever do by finding gold rings. I just want to say metal detecting sucks and is not for everyone. Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds. My new hobby is collecting video games and retro video games as well as playing them. That is 10 times more enjoyable then metal detecting ever was. If you are ever going to get into the hobby buy a shitty machine and waste 8 hours finding nothing and then say oh i wasted $200 and move on.

However, this may contridct my whole post, but i still love watching people find stuff on youtube. It is way more enjoyable then spending 8 hours a day out in a field and finding nothing. Anyways best of luck to all of you. Maybe some of you will wake up and see their is no fun in this hobby anymore. Send me your youtube channels, if I think its worthy of me subscribing then i will subscribe and watch.
    Diggit and SilverFinger like this.
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

us
    Supreme Chancellor

Oct 2005
    High Five!
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    5412 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    wow aaaannnn good luck to ya!
    NOW quick someone grab him, hes gone crazy !!! to much field time ....no goodies
    Last edited by G.A.P.metal; Apr 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

us
    Jun 2011
    Nebraska
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    2 times
    I would agree with you to some extent. I've only been metal detecting for about a year, I live in Nebraska so more than half the year the ground is too hard and/or covered in snow. It's definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be. If you do it strictly to make money and find valuable items then yeah it's probably not going to be very fun but if you're doing it because you would rather be outside that sitting inside watching tv or something that you'll have a good time. I haven't found anything bigger than a clad dime yet but I still can't wait until the next time I get to go out. It's easy to lose motivation but being on this website is cool cause you get to see what other people are finding and you realize that it's possible for you to find cool stuff too, you just gotta do your research and search in spots that have the best potential and be patient.

I do get what you're saying, and it's just about being different because I think I'd rather take a bullet than have to play video games.

us
    Feb 2012
    Placerville, CA
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    Was metal detecting your last job? Anyone that thinks they can just buy a metal detector, and get rich or even make any money has not done there research. I like the fact that it gets me away from the video games, and out into nature.
    K*E*L*L*Y likes this.

us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    5412 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sorry guys
    But you got to do your research old maps,barber shop ask the old times where they swam,played ball,old lovers lane.....go to the oldest persons you know ask questions ...go to the front door of an older home ask permission...go the the library and read....historical society and look at pictures and anything eles.
    I`v been at this some time now and i could never run out of places to detect...but sitting down playing games is not for me.
    K*E*L*L*Y likes this.
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    Minnesota
    Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
    452 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Why not just quit then? Why make a thread?
    Gunrunner61, Mac232 and K*E*L*L*Y like this.

us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    Minnesota
    Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
    452 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detectingfreak View Post
    Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds. My new hobby is collecting video games and retro video games as well as playing them. That is 10 times more enjoyable then metal detecting ever was. If you are ever going to get into the hobby buy a shitty machine and waste 8 hours finding nothing and then say oh i wasted $200 and move on.
    Name:  cry2.jpg
Views: 4198
Size:  12.8 KB

us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8631 times
    Successful metal detecting/treasure hunting requires a lot of dedication, time, and work. It's not for everyone.

us
    Apr 2005
    582 times
    I suppose everyone has their own reasons for getting into metal detecting. For me it is a hobby. I have never really taken it as serious as some do. Whenever I go out, I always have a specific place and time to quit, so I don't get burned out as you have apparently have. An hour or two in a descent spot will give me some coins and perhaps some jewelry. Since there is many more people to lose things in the eastern US, we probably have access to more parks, playgrounds, ballfields and swimming areas than do many western states. Though your states have far more gold and other minerals but your search areas are also far bigger. While some have to drive miles to detect, I can walk 5 minutes and be detecting and finding lost coins and jewelry. If I don't start finding anything within a hour, then I go to a new location. Good Luck. rockhound

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29255 times
    Just because your not finding anything you like doesnt mean others arent, sounds like you didnt do the right research and ujust went " nilly willy " as far as where to hunt..

I have found more than enough jewelry and other items to keep me interested.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    143 times
    eating
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by Michigan Badger; Apr 11, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    105 times
    Metal Detecting
    Maybe he was using I CANDY'S old detector
    Chug And Red likes this.
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    145 times
    Don't waste $1200 on a metal detector like I did 4 years ago and expect to find great finds.

--------------SOUNDS like ya should have taken your own advice you are telling others

I am opposite. I bought the $300 cheapo machine and am grading UP UP man UP selling this one to someone and using that $$ to buy more expensive and better.

it only 'sucks' if you don't like it. I sure don't think it stinks. I love it.

You definitely best get out of it before you hurt yourself or something

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links