Its trendy to have cancer: Barbie to roll out cancer doll

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's trendy to have cancer: Barbie to roll out 'cancer doll'

[h=1]It's trendy to have cancer: Barbie to roll out 'cancer doll' with bald head, chemo side effects[/h]

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer(NaturalNews) A Facebook petition signed by more than 157,000 people has prompted the Mattel company to create a new Barbie doll in the likeness of a cancer victim. According to News.com.au, the bald-headed doll, which will be dubbed "a friend of Barbie," is set to be released in 2013, and will come with an assortment of head dressings and clothing commonly worn by real-life female cancer victims.

Cancer rates are apparently skyrocketing so much in the U.S. today -- even among children -- that certain individuals feel Mattel should release a cancer-stricken Barbie doll for children in order to keep up with this disastrous trend. These individuals, in other words, appear to fully endorse the bizarre materialization of one of America's most deadly conditions into a children's toy.

"We would like to see a Beautiful and Bald Barbie made to help young girls who suffer from hair loss due to cancer treatments, alopecia or trichotillomania," says a petition written to Mattel by Beautiful and Bald Barbie, the Facebook group that first promoted the idea. "Also, for young girls who are having trouble coping with their mother's hair loss from chemo. Many children have some difficulty accepting their mother, sister, aunt, grandparent or friend going from long-haired to bald."

Mattel says it will not actually sell the "Beautiful and Bald Barbie" in retail stores, but rather it will distribute it to children with cancer in hospitals throughout the U.S. and Canada. Some of the cancer dolls will also reportedly be offered to charity partners on other continents as well, as an act of goodwill towards those suffering from cancer globally.

You can see a rendering of cancer Barbie at:
http://articles.nydailynews.com

As generous and well-meaning as this initiative is, one cannot help but notice the disturbing symbolic implications of a Barbie doll with cancer. Since Barbies were originally created as a fashion doll for young girls to relate to, the concept of a Barbie doll with cancer not only shows just how prevalent this horrible disease has become, but also how cancer is becoming typecasted as commonplace and fashionable.

In the same way that creating an obese Barbie or a Barbie with leprosy, for instance, would be a morbid venture, creating a Barbie with cancer only helps to normalize a devastating condition that is largely avoidable and treatable outside the conventional medical paradigm. Rather than attempt to turn cancer into a type of cultural paragon, perhaps the "Beautiful and Bald Barbie" group, as well as Mattel, could funnel their well-intentioned efforts into promoting cancer prevention and alternative cancer treatments.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.news.com.au

cancer prevention news and articles

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This article is disturbing because it is basically turning something charitable into some sort of conspiracy...

The title of the article is extremely misleading. The author of this article is saying "it is trendy to have cancer". but that statement has literally nothing to do with the facts of the story itself. It also says "Barbie to roll out 'cancer doll'" which is also misleading as the article goes on to state that the dolls will not be sold "in retail stores, but rather it will distribute it to children with cancer in hospitals". So this is not a retail venture, but a continuation of an existing charitable endeavor.

Im not even going to comment on the last 2 paragraphs of this article as it basically says that cancer is a big conspiracy. I dont subscribe to junk science or conspiracy theories.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sniping at each other. Rick60 your reply was way over the line and deleted.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is not political and I agree nothing wrong with Mattel making dolls for kids with cancer...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Mattel says it will not actually sell the "Beautiful and Bald Barbie" in retail stores, but rather it will distribute it to children with cancer in hospitals throughout the U.S. and Canada. Some of the cancer dolls will also reportedly be offered to charity partners on other continents as well, as an act of goodwill towards those suffering from cancer globally.

Pretty horrible hey JB? How monstrous of the Mattel Corporation.

Nothing nice about cancer, but apparently something ugly is being made about giving a little comfort.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing wrong with Mattel trying to give kids some self esteem.

No but theres something wrong with giving a kid a toy that constantly reminds them of their own condition,isnt that nice for their self esteem.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, I have a pretty good sense of humor & I do believe most odd barbies would be bought by men.
& Not for children.
I could imagine college dorms with Communicable Disease Barbie :laughing7:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No but theres something wrong with giving a kid a toy that constantly reminds them of their own condition,isnt that nice for their self esteem.

I have never heard of any child objecting to the dolls on top of which they never forget their condition.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sooo... when is the trans-gender Barbie coming out?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This post is actually nothing new, IMO it's just to stir the pot- we are all being baited for some personal entertainment.

This is actually OLD news.

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 7.49.39 PM.png

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This post is actually nothing new, IMO it's just to stir the pot- we are all being baited for some personal entertainment.

This is actually OLD news.

Let me guess,the OP date told you that:laughing9:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me guess,the OP date told you that:laughing9:

No, I actually was able to figure that out on my own. This is a 2012 news article and it's posted with inflammatory and misleading information in 2015.

What else could the purpose be?

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually it was posted in 2012 just like the date says on the OP.:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions