Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
"A status symbol is a perceived visible, external denotation of one's social position and perceived indicator of economic or social status" (taken from witch-pedia).

The status symbol has changed over the history of this great nation.

There was a time when it was livestock. He who had the most goats (horses, cattle, etc.) ruled the village.

Then with the advancement of a road system, the horse and buggy. He who had the most buggies was lord of the land.

Then along came the horseless carriage and radio. To own both was to make you king of the village.

Then came the television set. If you were able to purchase one you would immediately rise to celebrity status in your town. People who formally hated your guts would suddenly be near and dear.

After the invention of the TV new gimmicks sort of lost there shine. Of course money, political power, moving pictures, computers, etc., these (and more) have also distinguished persons (some since the beginning of time). But the above mentioned possessions and inventions had such an impact upon the America people that for decades it seemed nothing in the future could ever be deemed significant enough to actually be called a status symbol.

The years passed and life just got more and more boring. Then one day the lights came back on! Finally the gods took mercy upon us and gave us Facebook and with it the new and everlasting ultimate STATUS SYMBOL! That of course (as if you didn't know) is Facebook friends.

He who has the most Facebook friends is lord of all. There are Facebookers who have thousands of friends! Granted they have no idea who 95% of them are but each person counts in the competition to hopefully one day rise to the level of SUPREME FACEBOOKER! :headbang::hello2::BangHead:

Just thought you'd like ta know.
Badger

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the kids' facebook pages you'd be correct!

I don't allow anyone inside the facebook "circle of trust" If I don't personally know them. No friends of friends, no friends wives or friends kids in my list.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These days, a hot grill and a "good cut of steak" will get you more neighborhood status......though you might loose an arm. :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MI Badger, why bother going as far as facebook :dontknow: , when we have twice the options right here at T-Net :laughing7:

That's right, we have two status readily available and at your disposal 24/7

First up at bat and in existence since the inception is the glorious post count. Many can sit back and brag how many posts they have, and never let you know that 90% of them were 'nice find' :laughing7:

The newest contender to the fray is the almighty thumbs up, like status :icon_thumright: That's right ladies and gentlemen, this is a double edged status symbol, possibly getting one for saying something brilliant, witty, or even ludicrous :laughing7:

Any way you slice it, you'll walk home a winner. :tongue3:

So start collecting yours today :thumbsup: :laughing9:

I further will push for at least 4 options on that thumbs up, thus entering 4 more chances for top notice. We'll need little icons within the like option to further distinguish the poster's status, as follows

1- Brilliant = :icon_thumright:
2- Witty = :laughing7:
3- Sarcastic = :tongue3: (my personal favorite)
4- Helpful = :thumbsup:

Fell free to add to the list :headbang:

This way you'll get a breakdown and know what the heck you're dealing with :thumbsup: :icon_thumright: :tongue3:

(See both helpful & brilliant, with a touch of sarcasm)

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's facebook? :laughing7:

never use it, don't go on it, won't go on it ever so to me as a status symbol it is useless and means nothing

truly, what is so great about facebook?

I am going for the steak!!!!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger
"A status symbol is a perceived visible, external denotation of one's social position and perceived indicator of economic or social status"

Lost any status I had long ago.

have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
MI Badger, why bother going as far as facebook :dontknow: , when we have twice the options right here at T-Net :laughing7:

That's right, we have two status readily available and at your disposal 24/7

First up at bat and in existence since the inception is the glorious post count. Many can sit back and brag how many posts they have, and never let you know that 90% of them were 'nice find' :laughing7:

The newest contender to the fray is the almighty thumbs up, like status :icon_thumright: That's right ladies and gentlemen, this is a double edged status symbol, possibly getting one for saying something brilliant, witty, or even ludicrous :laughing7:

Any way you slice it, you'll walk home a winner. :tongue3:

So start collecting yours today :thumbsup: :laughing9:

I further will push for at least 4 options on that thumbs up, thus entering 4 more chances for top notice. We'll need little icons within the like option to further distinguish the poster's status, as follows

1- Brilliant = :icon_thumright:
2- Witty = :laughing7:
3- Sarcastic = :tongue3: (my personal favorite)
4- Helpful = :thumbsup:

Fell free to add to the list :headbang:

This way you'll get a breakdown and know what the heck you're dealing with :thumbsup: :icon_thumright: :tongue3:

(See both helpful & brilliant, with a touch of sarcasm)

BRILLIANT idea! :icon_thumright:

I'll admit I sometimes wish these little doohickey symbols were more extensive but then we're a "family friendly" forum.

Here's a LOCAL ONE: :occasion14:
It means "see ya at Patrick Sinclair's Irish Pub tonight"

Maybe I had better leave the designations to you. I think way too localized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread