Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a house on a small lake that's not serviced by DSL or cable.

Is satellite my only high speed internet option? I've read so many horror stories about satellite broadband that I'm really afraid of it.

I'd like to be able to use my laptop while visiting the place.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Badger

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you looked into Hughes net? They have a wireless internet service. also, there are many 4G phone services that have internet capability. Is there cell service?

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a similar problem... no high speed... so I am stuck with dial up... It is a pain... but at least I get on the net.... albeit very slowly

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you looked into Hughes net? They have a wireless internet service. also, there are many 4G phone services that have internet capability. Is there cell service?

We have excellent cell service to the area. I'll look into that. The HughesNet gets such awful reviews I'll take that as a last option only. Most people tell me dialup is better than satellite.

The 4G phone services is something I know almost nothing about. I use a simple basic Cell phone because I never cared for all those added gimmicks. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in that situation. I use 4g cell service,, it is fantastic.. it is portable, battery powered hotspot or you can leave it plugged in and it is a hot spot. I use it for my computer, wifes' computer and as a router for my wireless printer. (I use my laptop when going on trips,if wife is driving, and you do not have to look for a hotspot.

Bad news,, 5 gig/mo. and anything over that is an extra charge. I have barely scratched half of that for a month though.
I don't stream music or video very much anyway.
Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have excellent cell service to the area. I'll look into that. The HughesNet gets such awful reviews I'll take that as a last option only. Most people tell me dialup is better than satellite.

The 4G phone services is something I know almost nothing about. I use a simple basic Cell phone because I never cared for all those added gimmicks. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks

If you have a smart phone with a data package there is a way to use it to piggyback your laptop too.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True TH. They can be a hot spot too. But the wireless company told me that you cannot use the smart phone as a phone when you are using it for internet. No prob for some, but it is a big deal for us. (I don't have a smart phone, and no data package, so I put it with my cell bill, costs 48$/ month more)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the comments from everyone.

I love DSL and will really miss it. I'm a heavy movie watcher online so with the cell phone arrangements that's a thing of the past for me. Bummer!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Virizon MiFi. The unit fits in the palm of your hand. Works on it's internal battery or a plugin. $30 a month and it's 4G if you are in a good area. It can handle about 5 PC's at once. Your movie viewing might up the price. Frank hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5.jpg

CANTENNA

This is all I've used for the past 6 years. Literally made from a soup can. Pulls in WIFI signals from up to 2 miles away [sometimes more] and this one is average. I bought mine on ebay before learning that you can make them for less than $5.

Cantenna

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Virizon MiFi. The unit fits in the palm of your hand. Works on it's internal battery or a plugin. $30 a month and it's 4G if you are in a good area. It can handle about 5 PC's at once. Your movie viewing might up the price. Frank View attachment 630743

Thanks.
I think the area of our cabin only has 3G at this time. I've heard they'll have 4G by mid summer. Personally I don't understand this 4G stuff but I suppose it just means faster service.

At our main home we have top level DSL and that has really spoiled us.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
5.jpg

CANTENNA

This is all I've used for the past 6 years. Literally made from a soup can. Pulls in WIFI signals from up to 2 miles away [sometimes more] and this one is average. I bought mine on ebay before learning that you can make them for less than $5.

Cantenna

Thanks.
I've used a cantenna from my office building to the corp. owned house. The house is about 200 feet from the office and it worked well inspite of having to go through a couple thick brick walls. I recently upgraded to the ALFA (sold on ebay for about $35) and love it. I got 2 to 3 bars with the cantenna and I get 5 bars with the ALFA.

A lot depends too on the router used. At the corporation house there's a router with built-in antennas. I don't think they reach out like the external antenna routers do.

This post is about our lake house cabin or house and there's no DSL or cable service there. I do constant business so I really have to get some sort of internet for the lake cabin.

I'll be checking into the 3 or 4G thing this week. Everybody tells me NOT to get satellite. I guess there must be a good reason.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay, Badger, check out Consumer Reports, June 2012 Cut Your Internet Bill starts on Pg16. Pages 20&21 have comparison charts. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no landline based internet where I live either. So, we went with Sprint MiFi. $60 a month, 500-700 kbps. (slow).
Slow enough that I'm unable to download Utube without extensive buffering at times.
Regardless of what type of service you end up with, know that there is no longer "unlimited service".
Once you use your data allotment, your ISP will choke your bandwith, unless you pay for additional data.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Friend of mine had Hughes.

He went over his allotted bandwidth once, and he was shut off for the remainder of that month and given a warning.

The second time he went over his allotted bandwidth, his service was terminated --- but he still had to pay for the life of the contract even though he had no service.

Read your contract carefully when dealing with satellite internet. They are all structured that way.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Verizon MiFi is $30 a mo for 5gigs. In my area it is 4G quality. fast. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions