Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating

What Are My Internet Options?

I have a house on a small lake that's not serviced by DSL or cable.

Is satellite my only high speed internet option? I've read so many horror stories about satellite broadband that I'm really afraid of it.

I'd like to be able to use my laptop while visiting the place.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Badger
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Have you looked into Hughes net? They have a wireless internet service. also, there are many 4G phone services that have internet capability. Is there cell service?

ca
    Feb 2011
    Edgewood, B.C.
    excal2, sov xs
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have a similar problem... no high speed... so I am stuck with dial up... It is a pain... but at least I get on the net.... albeit very slowly

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggit View Post
    Have you looked into Hughes net? They have a wireless internet service. also, there are many 4G phone services that have internet capability. Is there cell service?
    We have excellent cell service to the area. I'll look into that. The HughesNet gets such awful reviews I'll take that as a last option only. Most people tell me dialup is better than satellite.

The 4G phone services is something I know almost nothing about. I use a simple basic Cell phone because I never cared for all those added gimmicks. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by bartholomewroberts View Post
    I have a similar problem... no high speed... so I am stuck with dial up... It is a pain... but at least I get on the net.... albeit very slowly
    I remember when we used dialup. It's better than nothing but not much. DSL has really spoiled us.

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1495 times
    I am in that situation. I use 4g cell service,, it is fantastic.. it is portable, battery powered hotspot or you can leave it plugged in and it is a hot spot. I use it for my computer, wifes' computer and as a router for my wireless printer. (I use my laptop when going on trips,if wife is driving, and you do not have to look for a hotspot.

Bad news,, 5 gig/mo. and anything over that is an extra charge. I have barely scratched half of that for a month though.
    I don't stream music or video very much anyway.
    Good luck.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8968 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Badger View Post
    We have excellent cell service to the area. I'll look into that. The HughesNet gets such awful reviews I'll take that as a last option only. Most people tell me dialup is better than satellite.

The 4G phone services is something I know almost nothing about. I use a simple basic Cell phone because I never cared for all those added gimmicks. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks
    If you have a smart phone with a data package there is a way to use it to piggyback your laptop too.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1495 times
    True TH. They can be a hot spot too. But the wireless company told me that you cannot use the smart phone as a phone when you are using it for internet. No prob for some, but it is a big deal for us. (I don't have a smart phone, and no data package, so I put it with my cell bill, costs 48$/ month more)

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Thanks for all the comments from everyone.

I love DSL and will really miss it. I'm a heavy movie watcher online so with the cell phone arrangements that's a thing of the past for me. Bummer!

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2038 times
    Virizon MiFi. The unit fits in the palm of your hand. Works on it's internal battery or a plugin. $30 a month and it's 4G if you are in a good area. It can handle about 5 PC's at once. Your movie viewing might up the price. FrankName:  hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  39.7 KB

us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    mɪnɨˈsoʊtə
    Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250, BH Tracker IV
    313 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

CANTENNA

This is all I've used for the past 6 years. Literally made from a soup can. Pulls in WIFI signals from up to 2 miles away [sometimes more] and this one is average. I bought mine on ebay before learning that you can make them for less than $5.

Cantenna

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankn View Post
    Virizon MiFi. The unit fits in the palm of your hand. Works on it's internal battery or a plugin. $30 a month and it's 4G if you are in a good area. It can handle about 5 PC's at once. Your movie viewing might up the price. FrankName:  hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  39.7 KB
    Thanks.
    I think the area of our cabin only has 3G at this time. I've heard they'll have 4G by mid summer. Personally I don't understand this 4G stuff but I suppose it just means faster service.

At our main home we have top level DSL and that has really spoiled us.

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by WIT View Post

CANTENNA

This is all I've used for the past 6 years. Literally made from a soup can. Pulls in WIFI signals from up to 2 miles away [sometimes more] and this one is average. I bought mine on ebay before learning that you can make them for less than $5.

Cantenna
    Thanks.
    I've used a cantenna from my office building to the corp. owned house. The house is about 200 feet from the office and it worked well inspite of having to go through a couple thick brick walls. I recently upgraded to the ALFA (sold on ebay for about $35) and love it. I got 2 to 3 bars with the cantenna and I get 5 bars with the ALFA.

A lot depends too on the router used. At the corporation house there's a router with built-in antennas. I don't think they reach out like the external antenna routers do.

This post is about our lake house cabin or house and there's no DSL or cable service there. I do constant business so I really have to get some sort of internet for the lake cabin.

I'll be checking into the 3 or 4G thing this week. Everybody tells me NOT to get satellite. I guess there must be a good reason.

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot

Jul 2010
    Watkins Glen N.Y. Finger Lakes Region,Beaver Dams N.Y.
    Teknetics Omega,EuroTek Pro Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Toltec ll, ,Gray Ghost Ultimate's,Depth Master Super Phones II,Garrett Pro Pointer,Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" 28" Lesche Ground Shark
    1090 times
    I`v used Hughes for years,no problems here ever
    I`v been detecting for 45 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules
    NEL Hunter Coil 12 1/2" X 8 1/2"
    NEL Sharpshooter Coil 9 1/2" X 5 1/2"
    NEL Sharp Coil 5"
    ReadyShovel Holster

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by G.A.P.metal View Post
    I`v used Hughes for years,no problems here ever
    Thanks.
    Do you watch any movies online? I've heard they really limit this and satellite is mostly just for email and light duty surfing.
    Last edited by Michigan Badger; May 04, 2012 at 08:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors