jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A North Vancouver couple regrets attending an Antiques Roadshow-style event after the cheque they received for their antique coins bounced.
Roger and Veronica Bernier took their collection of old quarters and silver dollars to the International Coin Collectors show held at the Best Western Capilano Hotel April 17-21.
"We were pleased to receive a cheque for $250 - until it was declined," said Veronica Bernier in a letter to the North Shore News. "Now we are out our coins plus the $7.50 bank charge!"
International Coin Collectors is based in Springfield, Ill., and is a division of T.H.R. Associates (T.H.R. stands for Treasure Hunt Roadshow). The company holds antiquebuying events throughout the United States and Canada.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised the FBI hasn't found these people! They have to be advertising somewhere for people to come sell their gold and silver wherever they are at!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
There are lots of these "Roadshow" buyers floating around. I visited one last summer and it was a joke. People were told to bring in their silver, gold, and antiques. There was a big lineup all day and the guy I talked to didn't know a hammer from a saw. They were just sifting through everything very quickly looking for quality jewelry for dirt cheap. They included the antiques mostly because they know many people won't bother to bring in just a little gold but they'll come in to find out about some old junk they've been storing for years. And too there's the rare chance someone will drag in something valuable. It would have to be very obvious because they know very little about collectables.

I wouldn't waste my time with one of these again. I do much better on ebay.

gersgirl

Jun 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is fair to categorize EVERY roadshow as a scam simply because this one is. THR operates under at least 20 different names (mainly to avoid litigation and reputation issues). You can find the names of all of their operations by checking the bbb.org and searching for "Treasure Hunters Roadshow" in Springfield, IL.
Just because you went to one roadshow where you felt the employees were sub-standard does NOT mean that EVERY roadshow is crooked.
It's just like any other business (think of auto mechanics, for example) where you need to do your research and check their BBB ratings.
Roadshows actually do serve a purpose (they are companies with connections to high-end collectors and dealers). But, just like any other business out there, a trustworthy company will encourage you to shop around and will be accredited by the BBB. Just do your research - and don't listen to the "haters".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread