Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bartholomewroberts
  • 2 Post By snakeyes
  • 1 Post By releventchair

Thread: Backhanded compliments

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Backhanded compliments

I wonder how many here have given backhanded compliments

I still do it on occasion just to keep in shape. Gotta love the the mixed looks you get, ranging from confusion to anger, and everything in-between

Example: That dress looks nice, but look look great if you lost 10 pounds.

I have hundreds of these gems over the years and probably lucky to still be alive

Do you have any favorites you'd like to share

ca
    Feb 2011
    Edgewood, B.C.
    excal2, sov xs
    25 times
    When I owned my own business a few years back, one of my workers was a real problem.... He would work... but very slowly.. I put up with this for a while and , fortunately for me, found another job. He asked me for a reference. Therein lies the problem... do I say the truth, and get the labour relations board after me for denigrating a person..... or do I lie and let the next person deal with the problem. So.... my recommendation went like thus...... 'If you can get this individual to work for you, you will indeed be fortunate'
    chatmangreer likes this.

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    135 times
    nah, I don't say them. I think them.

Like to hubby---'You did a great job on that" and not spoken---but geez if you could move your ass a bit faster it would have been done 3 months ago and too bad you couldn't figure out how to handle those holes and not mutiliate them with the drill. for heavens sake, ever hear of measure twice, drill once? ya stupid *&**((

I guess I don't say the second half because I am mellowing with age now. younger I would have said it

there is nothing worse than a compliment with the words included: BUT or However then the zinger comes LOL

Jul 2006
    1 times
    You look good.......for your age.
    Eat, Sleep ,Fish

us
    Pronounced "Shadow" - ---= Wolfpack Forever! =---

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    1933 times
    Cache Hunting
    "He isn't afraid of hard work . . . he can lie down next to it all day without a care in the world."
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which one to use ... and their meaning:

"Know" is related to knowledge, while "No" is a negative response.

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    Quote Originally Posted by bartholomewroberts View Post
    When I owned my own business a few years back, one of my workers was a real problem.... He would work... but very slowly.. I put up with this for a while and , fortunately for me, found another job. He asked me for a reference. Therein lies the problem... do I say the truth, and get the labour relations board after me for denigrating a person..... or do I lie and let the next person deal with the problem. So.... my recommendation went like thus...... 'If you can get this individual to work for you, you will indeed be fortunate'
    WOW, you're my hero! THANKS!

Awesome reply and sure wish I'd thought of that years ago.
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    800 times
    Nice feller . If he ever meets a turtle if will be face to face ; he'll never pass one
    Wolfpack forever

us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    On a construction site, forman to employee "I'm gonna have to let you go" employee " Why whats wrong with my work" Forman "Oh your work is fine, just not enough of it".
    Chadeaux and Chug And Red like this.
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

us
    onfire

Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    1319 times
    Does this dress make me look fat?? No your fat makes you fat. Your not bald ! You have flesh colored hair Excuse me mam Your feet are smaller then mine so you can get closer to the sink.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    If it weren't for backhanded complements spartacus53 you would have no complements at all!
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    onfire, it's better to tell a woman trying to squeeze her feet into tiny shoes, to try the box they came in instead

Hotzone, you may have a point there.. Then again, I'm always open to learn more

us
    Apr 2012
    The Jersey Shore
    Ace350/ATpro/Excalibur1000/ Eldorado/BandidoII uMax/Silver Sabre uMax/Compadre/ Garrett Pro-Pointer/Lesche digger model 75/ RTG stainless Beachmaster scoop/Stealth S3i Sugarsand Scoop
    151 times
    Wife or girlfriend: "Do these pants make my ass look fatter?"
    Husband or boyfriend: "Nope, it's not the pants!"
    One must be smarter than the equipment they are working with!

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    800 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace350 View Post
    Wife or girlfriend: "Do these pants make my ass look fatter?"
    Husband or boyfriend: "Nope, it's not the pants!"
    My reply to that no win question is : 'Doesn't matter . Long as you keep turnin it around and bringing it back to me it's my favorite one to look at .'
    Wolfpack forever

us
    WP

May 2012
    2950 times
    When someone comments on there own lack off hair, i,ll look at it and assure them it would be a lot in a bowl of soup!
    truckinbutch likes this.

Sponsors