Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chadeaux

Thread: Forumfoundry.com . . . Why???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Pronounced "Shadow" - ---= Wolfpack Forever! =---

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    1857 times
    Cache Hunting

Forumfoundry.com . . . Why???

I learned a few minutes ago that --- despite the fact that VBulletin does not require scripts from Forumfoundry.com to run ( I have a friend who admins a couple of VBulletin boards ), for some reason the administrators here have decided that we must allow scripts from forumfoundry.com to run in order for posts to show correctly.

If you have "Noscript" enabled ( a firefox addon that helps protect your from some unwanted driveby downloads, etc. ), you will need to use HTML markup to show silly things like "carriage returns".

You will also not have all the options (text formatting, etc.) enabled when you make a post.

My question is, since I don't see this bit of privacy invading software running on my friend's VBulletin forums, why is it running here ---- more importantly, what information are you gleaning?

Do they log keystrokes or something? All of the other forums work well without that script. All formatting options are available all of the time. Just seems really weird that it affects how the board works.
    Last edited by Chadeaux; May 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    boris likes this.
    A nation founded on principles of free speech should be hunting down and terminating the PC Police, not letting them call the shots.

In 1791, when the 2nd Amendment was written, EVERY GUN was MILITARY STYLE!!!

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
    - George Washington

us
    relic hunter

Dec 2011
    Cape Cod
    tesoro stingray
    80 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    It's soto domething with cookies, like 77 sunset striper I eat my cookies.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    1857 times
    Cache Hunting
    Nope, it is doing a bit more than working on cookies. It is a javascript run from their server apparently that allows you to choose the size of a font or use normal BB code for posts. It is unnecessary bit of coding that other VBulletin sites don't need for operation. I don't think any one is using it maliciously, but I can't get a straight answer from the author, so thought I would ask here.
    A nation founded on principles of free speech should be hunting down and terminating the PC Police, not letting them call the shots.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
    - George Washington

us
    Feb 2012
    Austin, TX
    109 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Chadeaux,

We are running vBulletin 4 -- it's quite a bit different then vBulletin 3 (much newer and more advanced) and as such, requires Javascript. There's nothing "weird" about it... many sites require javascript for full functionality and we are no different.

Treasure Hunting Forum & Metal Detecting Forum - Register for free today!.
    Thread Subscriptions, My Replies, Keeping track of signatures - Explained here!
    Charter Member Forum Chat is live! - Click Here!
    Want to ignore a forum or thread? You can! To learn how click here!
    The Help! Section contains a ton of tutorials on how to use the new system. Click here to visit the Help forum! (Thanks Wicked!)
    Having trouble staying logged in? Check out the instructions for help in this thread!
    How to change the subscription notification type for your threads. Click Here!

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    1857 times
    Cache Hunting
    Ah, ok. Went to my registrar's Whois info and found out that the same person who is the registered owner of Forumfoundry.com is the owner of Treasurenet.com . . . so that would account for the "scripts" and "cross scripting" that upsets my browser so much.

So, Ken, why the cross scripting? I am not accusing anyone of recording keystrokes, I read the js file from the server and didn't see anything that I recognized as doing so, but it even runs when typing "personal messages".

- George Washington

us
    Feb 2012
    Austin, TX
    109 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux View Post
    Ah, ok. Went to my registrar's Whois info and found out that the same person who is the registered owner of Forumfoundry.com is the owner of Treasurenet.com . . . so that would account for the "scripts" and "cross scripting" that upsets my browser so much.

So, Ken, why the cross scripting? I am not accusing anyone of recording keystrokes, I read the js file from the server and didn't see anything that I recognized as doing so, but it even runs when typing "personal messages".
    We use a CDN to speed up the site. The CDN requires us to use a domain name to serve it from. In addition, we use cookies on this site -- so if we used a domain, ie, cdn.treasurenet.com -- all the files served by that host would get "cookied" -- so we serve them from a different domain that doesn't cookie the files. It's mainly a thing to speed up the loading of the site. We serve as much static content from the CDN as we can to be as fast and as optimized as we can. The service we use for the CDN is maxcdn.com -- which is where that cross scripting host points to.

So mainly, it's to serve these pages to you as fast as possible

More info here: Serving Static Content from a Cookieless Domain - Ravelrumba by Rob Flaherty

Edit, 99% of the time you would not even know about these files being loaded from a different host unless your security settings are REALLY strict. Too strict, because most large sites (google, facebook, yahoo, etc) do the same thing.

Treasure Hunting Forum & Metal Detecting Forum - Register for free today!.
    Thread Subscriptions, My Replies, Keeping track of signatures - Explained here!
    Charter Member Forum Chat is live! - Click Here!
    Want to ignore a forum or thread? You can! To learn how click here!
    The Help! Section contains a ton of tutorials on how to use the new system. Click here to visit the Help forum! (Thanks Wicked!)
    Having trouble staying logged in? Check out the instructions for help in this thread!
    How to change the subscription notification type for your threads. Click Here!

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    1857 times
    Cache Hunting
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, my security settings on this network are VERY strict . . . important when you have personal info of thousands of people.

As a result, we block cross scripting because a few sites have used it in the past to "update" some of our computers or install software they thought we just couldn't live without.

BTW, the site DOES load much quicker than it used to. Nice job.

- George Washington

Sponsors