Another fine mess Ive gotten me into , Ollie

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Another fine mess I've gotten me into , Ollie

:sadsmiley: A 30+year friend , who makes his living as a roadside big truck mechanic , had a stroke 4 weeks ago . 20 year estranged family got medical and durable power of attorney while he was sedated in the hospital . Immediately started trying to liquidate his possesions for their own benefit .
He regained enough lucidity after 3 weeks to remember my phone # and ask the nurse to call me for help because he could trust me .
Put on my John Wayne hat and went to his rescue . He transferred powers to me and I'm now
trying to salvage what I can . Ain't pretty .
Moral :
Even when you are young (he is only 53) leave a paper trail for who you can trust before the unexpected happens .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a rare,true friend that will do something for you for nothin when others won,t even for money. Your like that enough for your friend its going to make a serious difference in his recovery. Wishing the best here.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Its a rare,true friend that will do something for you for nothin when others won,t even for money. Your like that enough for your friend its going to make a serious difference in his recovery. Wishing the best here.
Thank you , Sir . No man left behind in my hood . He deserves to keep as much as he can that he made on his own . He doesn't deserve to be robbed by his own family .

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh wow that is so horrible. trying to liquidate and steal from him while he is ill. unreal!!

thank goodness you had your John Wayne hat!!!!!! he is lucky to have you to help him and it is wonderful you truly came to his rescue.

HOPE he comes out ok. long road of recovery I am sure but at least he has peace of mind he won't be broke.

wow

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butch, you hit the nail on the head with this post...

It all boils down to trust and even being family has no bearing when it comes to trust.. Even though you are put into a difficult situation, just knowing he has faith in you, should help you along :headbang:

It's a really sad world we're living in

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Thanks for your supportive replies . The further I get into this the worse it gets . Bank , post office , and busineses he has has been dealing with all his working life had noticed abrupt changes . Lot of windsheild time for me to document the story . All of them are getting on board to help me .
Felony fraud charges may develope for the vultures . Sad part is that he will probably still lose everything he has worked his life for .
I'm so sad ................. All I can do is be there for him to insure that he gets the best available care and keep the vultures off the body :sadsmiley:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butch, it's always bad when greed raises its ugly head. The sad part is that into today's times, I think it is escalating at such a rapid pace due to the times we live in. Desperate people in desperate times will do almost anything, even if it's again their grain.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My friend is improving . Got into a nursing home last week for more intensive care . Prognosis is that he may improve to the point of being able to return home and live unassisted in as little as 3 months :headbang:.
>May never be able to resume his mechanic work .
>So many people that he has done business with over the years have come to the front to help me help him that I feel like crying over their sense of humanity .
>He has a larger family of friends than he has blood kin .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything I can do to help buddy, Let me know... I honestly just saw this, Sorry to hear about your friend Butch, This someone I know?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many times a true good freind will treat you better than family * --sounds like he raised a pack of vulture children and has vulture kin too boot -- you know the type of folks that just sit there doing nothing with their lives just waiting for others to die off so they can swoop in --for their house and belongings . -- better to not have had kids than to raise a brood of those greedy useless monsters.

butch it is a testimony to your "goodness" that he called upon you to assist him --knowing you would do the "right thing" and put the greedy dirtbags in their place --he needs to disown everyone that took part in the fiscal raping of him while he was illl. -- cut them out totally and put the law unto them for full repayment or jail ( best "gift" he could give them really--to show what greed will get you , hopefully help em to see the errors of their ways and change --if not-- at the very least it will not allow them to profiet from their wicked behavior)

one needs to put ones "house" into order - legally speaking to prevent such horrors from occuring to themselves -- but everyone thinks that strokes and being unable to take care of themselves will not occur to them --that they will die peacefully in their sleep at a ripe old age still sound of mind and body --wake up people from that "pipe dream" - facts are before dying --2 out of 3 (66%) people wind up in a nursing home , or other type of long term care place -- so please for your own sake --decide who loves you and will look out for you and set up your affairs .(do not let a judge decide who will "look out" for you and who will get your "stuff" because likely as not it might not be who you want it to be. )

Last edited:
OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Thanks ,Ivan . Looks like ,at this point , that Medicaid will take anything he has left .Talk about greedy family ............ Just doin it a step at a time .
Hell of a lesson for us that do care for each other .:sadsmiley:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's everywhere even here. Greed has taken over from honor in a lot of cases. On the offer post, someone suggested I dump my partner and go for the 50% for myself. Money matters, but honor matters MORE. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Great story of a true friend. I hope all works out well for him and you. I have seen these things happen many times and most of the time it splits families and even causes fueds between them. Greed can do strange things to people when very much money is involved causing otherwise nice people to become mean and belligerent. Especially when dealing with family members, one should have a will and be specific of their terms in case a tradgety occurs or a disaster happens that is beyound our control. This is the only way to ensure that the person who you want gets what is intended for them. Most families have a verbals trust and it often goes out the window when something occurs and often ends up in court, where the family will lose much of their inheritance because of lawyer and court costs. Good luck. rockhound

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Friends can never be Bought with money or fame, etc.... . True Friends are Earned!!!!!!!!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am truly sorry to hear of this story.. It will help your buddys recover knowing that he has a true, loyal friend in whom he can lay his trust,. With his mind at ease on that aspect, he can concentrate on his recovery. Good luck and God bless Calm seas Bartholomewroberts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread