Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manners are what make society "civilized". How would you feel if AU had wrote about being in the hospital because some jerk in a fit of rage and unsafe driving slammed into the driver's door of his car while he was parked?

What is really weird is a woman saying manners aren't important. That sounds like something from the twilight zone.

I knew the 'what ifs' were coming. What if a kid was around. What if he 'almost' hit a car. What if he cut someone off.

if we keep to the situation it was a fast squeal drive into a parking lot. ARREST the criminal, now before he 'what ifs' someone.

No I see it as people going overboard on small infractions of 'how we are to behave'. no one will ever behave perfect everyday. it happens.

if AU said anything to me if I squealed into a parking lot, I would tell him to mind his own business and flip him off probably (when he wasn't looking of course ) lol

Sure good manners are important. I find it also bad manners to be calling everyone on every single little bit of out of line behavior just because it irked them.

sorry about that holier than thou type stuff I wrote. I know you don't deserve that type of talking but it made my point of everyone at some time does something stupid. Heavens we can't call everyone on every single thing that is done in public and we can't always drag it into the 'what if' to make it justifiable.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But in this case no one stood up. They kicked butt from their car seat. Far less perilous that way.

I disagree. I think he DID stand up to the behavior, although it wasn't litterally standing. He confronted the idiot in a calm and respectful manner, advising him that such behavior is not acceptable. He didn't jump out and start threatening the guy, and he didn't slink away saying "I should have said something".

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
every person in the world has a bad day and does something stupid at one point in time. sometimes the other can keep a closed mouth and just let it happen. allow people their space without commenting constantly.

not every single situation is a life and death issue obviously yet many can throw the 'what if' into it all the time and make it justifiable to butt into someone elses life at a flash.

just how I see it
Just hope you never have to deal with it.

Lost a cousin to an overly aggressive driver. She was a nurse, about 25 years old. Survived the accident, burned to death in the car because no one could free her.

Lost a brother in law to a driver that a cop took pity on less than 2 minutes before the crash. Broke his back and neck. He was dragged from a burning car but died within minutes.

I was broadsided by an aggressive dump truck driver. Fortunately my truck was bigger than his and I walked away.

There is no damned place for aggressive driving where other people could POSSIBLY be injured. Just the possibility should be enough for people to act like adults.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a lady actually block me off for several minutes the other day to point out that I was trying to exit a large empty parking lot, onto a deserted road, through the "enter" lane to the parking lot. Finally, after a few minutes standoff, she pulled up beside me, rolled down her window, and bluntly voiced her obvious displeasure with me, her copilot giving me the same lecture. At that point I smiled at them both, thanked them both for their obvious concern, and then I asked them both to please put on her seat belts. :laughing7: They both instantly turned red and drove away.

K

Kentucky Kache

I disagree. I think he DID stand up to the behavior, although it wasn't litterally standing. He confronted the idiot in a calm and respectful manner, advising him that such behavior is not acceptable. He didn't jump out and start threatening the guy, and he didn't slink away saying "I should have said something".

No, he waited until he came here to do his tough talk. You don't see that?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad
sorry for those examples you typed.

but I don't see them the same. guy flying and squealing probably into a lot. You don't know the rest. probably come out fine and drive normal.

car accidents happen. for many reasons. overly aggressive, sleep at wheel, texting, loss of concentration, vehicle troubles, weather conditions etc.

I think we can stretch this out WAAAyyyyyy far to make it seem like it is a horrible life death thing. I won't go that far tho.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a lady actually block me off for several minutes the other day to point out that I was trying to exit a large empty parking lot, onto a deserted road, through the "enter" lane to the parking lot. Finally, after a few minutes standoff, she pulled up beside me, rolled down her window, and bluntly voiced her obvious displeasure with me, her copilot giving me the same lecture. At that point I smiled at them both, thanked them both for their obvious concern, and then I asked them both to please put on her seat belts. :laughing7: They both instantly turned red and drove away.

you made them blush with shame. :laughing9:

bet you enjoyed that one HAHA

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have three small children that I often take with me to the store...I don't care what kind of day your having...if your speeding in a parking lot your going to hear from me. I've had family members die and bad thinks happen to me but there is no excuse for being an idiot.

FarmerChick I have to disagree with you...there are speed limits for a reason and there is also a reason why in parking lots they are much lower. If your are speeding no matter what the reason you are putting others at risk and this is multiplied in a parklot where people are walking.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew the 'what ifs' were coming. What if a kid was around. What if he 'almost' hit a car. What if he cut someone off.

if we keep to the situation it was a fast squeal drive into a parking lot. ARREST the criminal, now before he 'what ifs' someone.

No I see it as people going overboard on small infractions of 'how we are to behave'. no one will ever behave perfect everyday. it happens.

if AU said anything to me if I squealed into a parking lot, I would tell him to mind his own business and flip him off probably (when he wasn't looking of course ) lol

Sure good manners are important. I find it also bad manners to be calling everyone on every single little bit of out of line behavior just because it irked them.

sorry about that holier than thou type stuff I wrote. I know you don't deserve that type of talking but it made my point of everyone at some time does something stupid. Heavens we can't call everyone on every single thing that is done in public and we can't always drag it into the 'what if' to make it justifiable.

You have a problem with the "what if," when it applies to a jackass behind the wheel? Open your eyes woman. I'm all for people staying the f out of my business, but when you are behind the wheel of a moving deady weapon (yes- a deadly weapon) you better act civilized instead of like a damn fool. You are comparing apples to oranges.
The "what if" scenario is more than appropriate in this situation.

What if you or your child were the one that got mowed down by "Mr. Oh I'm having a day day so let me drive like an ass, with complete disregard for anyone and eveyone around me?"

You wouldn't be flapping your gums like you are now... guaranteed.

I'm done with your nonsensical debatement.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many "ifs" ...

The root problem isn't doing or not doing, saying or not saying, it's assuming that we know more than we do.

-sociologist

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many "ifs" ...

The root problem isn't doing or not doing, saying or not saying, it's assuming that we know more than we do.

-sociologist

Nope, nobody is assuming. This thread was started by a person talking about a person acting dangerously and thier speaking up about it. Everything else about letting someone have a bad day is pure hogwash.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So many "ifs" ...

-sociologist

Showed this thread to my neighbor Smee, and he laughed and said: "Ammonhotep. Sounds like something Plebah would say."

Did a search, found him mentioned, but can't find his posts. He leave or something?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
One of the first lessons I learned as a sailor of the concrete seas was FIDO . Forget About It , Drive ON ! Your responsibility is to safely operate your own vehicle . No one charged you with ruling the world to your standards .
We have to share the highways with stupiid people . That does not say that we are required to be stupid , too .
I captained an 80 to 140 THOUSAND POUND vehicle for over 2 1/2 MILLION miles without a moving violation OR a chargeable accident .
Shure , I had some crashes (a couple were horrible) caused by idiot drivers . Bottom line is that I was never found to be at fault because of my actions .
Imagine what it could have been like had I chosen to rule the road according to my sense of self rightiousness .
FIDO !

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One of the first lessons I learned as a sailor of the concrete seas was FIDO . Forget About It , Drive ON ! Your responsibility is to safely operate your own vehicle . No one charged you with ruling the world to your standards .
We have to share the highways with stupiid people . That does not say that we are required to be stupid , too .
I captained an 80 to 140 THOUSAND POUND vehicle for over 2 1/2 MILLION miles without a moving violation OR a chargeable accident .
Shure , I had some crashes (a couple were horrible) caused by idiot drivers . Bottom line is that I was never found to be at fault because of my actions .
Imagine what it could have been like had I chosen to rule the road according to my sense of self rightiousness .
FIDO !

Johnny Cash reference . . . very cool. "Got all that drivin done" eh?

Did that in my younger years. Remember as a kid, falling asleep to Charlie Douglas and the Road Gang from down in New Orleans playing on my transistor radio.

By the time I was old enough to hit the roads, he was long gone from WWL. No one else was ever as good. "Sailor On A Concrete Sea" was one of his standards in the morning hours.

He passed on Thanksgiving 2011. His obit is HERE.

Last edited:

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, nobody is assuming. This thread was started by a person talking about a person acting dangerously and thier speaking up about it. Everything else about letting someone have a bad day is pure hogwash.

There is ample evidence to the contrary.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

I'm now done with this thread. We'll see you all around! HH

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think therefor I am, But I usually keep my opinions to my self for expressing them usually does no good. Besides,I am usually the one doing almost 10 0ver on the road. Of course if I am attacked in a post, I will defend. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been a lively discussion.

I appreciate everyone's reply.

While some would have also spoken up and told the guy to slow down, I'm surprised at the number who advocated "minding your own business."

Of course, there was one who stood out in their attempt to bait me into replying to their posts (3) about me being a "tough guy" only here.

In the original post I believe that I had made clear that I was calm and had told the guy to slow down. When he approached my truck in a threatening manner, I continued to be calm and even courteous. I never raised my voice nor used profanity or derogetory language. I only repeated my request; "Slow down."

I never expected nor wanted a physical outcome but would have defended myself as necessary. I remained in my truck and tried to exhibit an appearance of non-confrontation.

Perhaps he was having a bad day for whatever reason. I can only hope that my admonition to slow down prevented his day from becoming even worse because of his driving.

And yes, I will do the same again anytime that I feel necessary.

Best Wishes,
Scott

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread